Fitting aftermarket head unt speakers and amp

rhubarb4

Certified Audi nutter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to fit a Kenwood head unit and drive the front/rear speakers from my own amp. On taking out the existing Concert 1 head unit there are these connections,

P1010487.jpg

P1010486.jpg

and this diagram

P1010485.jpg

I also have a single cable on a spade connection direct to the radio back which i am assuming is the earth to the chassis.

what do I do with the other connectors as the Kenwood loom looks like this.

P1010493.jpg

P1010489.jpg

So I am assuming the brown connector in the middle of the head unit would go into the speaker side and the black connector at the bottom would be the power side, what is the connector with the single Purple/white into the vertical red connector do and do i need it, and the top black connector with all the different wires in it where would I put that, is it important and what would it go into, I'm thinking it is to do with information sent to the DIS and maybe other things which its needed for.

Is there a way where I can keep the display info on the DIS to show what station im listening to or CD track im playing now I'm upgrading the head unit.

Lastly I have been scouring the forum for a while as I have been told that there may be a wire or 2 that need removing or not connecting as it can cause a problem with VAGCOM scanning.

Thanks for reading guys,

Chris.

Last edited:
Brown is front speakers only
Big red plug just ignore
Black 20 pin mini ISO is 3 sections
1. Rear amp feed (rear pre-outs and remote on feed to rear/sub amp)
2. CANBUS & DIS
3. CD changer

So you don't need any of that as you are amping everything yourself. All you need is to extend the front speaker loom back to your amp and the only connector you will use above is the power connector.
The separate spade is an extra earth to chassis.
No you can't have DIS with aftermarket HU, only Blaupunkt do a cable and it's £80
Don't worry about VAGCOM as you are leaving the CANBUS disconnected.