Audi A4 Bluetooth (kit from A3 using CanBus?)

lscolman2

Reaction score
Hi,

Not 100%, but I believe I have found why my Bluetooth module is not seen by my RNS-E.

The OEM bluetooth kit was originally fitted to an Audi A3 (and will use the CanBus).

My A4 is a B7 and so uses the K Line.

I have the kit and kufatec quadlock loom out of the car.

According to this thread, I need to recode the bluetooth module to also use K Line:-
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-c...-question.html

Is anyone local able to plug the unit into an A3 or equivalent car with CanBus? I'd be willing to fork out some moola of course.

If there's nobody local, I could post the unit/cable to someone, and pay handsomely for the service.

Can someone help me out?

Cheers, Lee
progress.gif

I've never found that to be the case, I have coded modules in A3's for testing and then put them into A4's at later dates and had no issues. The module still codes up fine to A4 with just K-line. I would estimate that I've fitted around 500 or more Audi bluetooth kits and I've never seen this issue of coding.

Hi,

It's a 8P0 862 335 D, that was originally fitted to an Audi A3.

Are you able to test to see if it is in operating condition, if I were to post it to you? I would of course cover all costs/fees.

Cheers, Lee

Hi,

I've just opened up the Kufatec quadlock loom, and there is no connection for K-Line.

I suspect this could be the reason why the unit cannot communicate with the RNS-E. Does this sound right?

I've got my work cut out for the weekend. I'll get myself some Audi repair wire.

Cheers, Lee

Yep, sounds about right, as I said I've never come across the issue you have mentioned. But if the K-line wire is missing then it will never code in an A4.

Oh and here's the bad news, the 8P0 862 335 D is not RNS-E compatible. It will work as a bluetooth module, but it has no comfort functionality so cannot be coded to work fully with the RNS-E. You need a C, F, H, K, L, M, N, S, or AA revision module.

Hi Craig,

Is it 'totally' incompatible or is it just stuff like directory and the more advanced stuff that will not work?

Will it still show the phone is calling, and would I be able to answer the call with the steering wheel for example?

Cheers, Lee

Last edited:
Phonebook, missed, dialled etc won't work on the RNS-E. It will show numbers and allow you to answer etc.

Steerig wheel and DIS should not be an issue, in fact the DIS should show the phonebook if coded correctly and compatible phone is used.

Thanks mate, that's spot on.

I'll post back to let you know how I get on.

To at least get SDS working, they connected the Mic direct to the RNS-E, but that does not work, and has the following fault:-

02454 - Microphone Unit (in Front Roof Module) (R164)
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101011
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 135
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.04.12
Time: 18:56:23

Have you seen this error before? I wonder if the microphone wire has been stripped behind the B Pillar and connecting to the chassis or perhaps the polarity reversed?

Cheers, Lee

It's not an error if it is intermittent, it should clear. Probably no mic connected before the coding was done.

Bascially intermittent means, there was a fault, but not any more.

Polarity reversed does not show a fault, so it is more likely to be that.

Hi Craig,

The mic was polarity. I managed to break into the cables and reversed them. I can now argue with my car, instead of it being a one way conversation.

Cheers, Lee

Last edited:
Hi Craig,

Got it all working.

Here is the coding I ended up using:-

Steering
Navigation/Radio
Telephone

I get the name of the caller, and can answer the phone with the MFSW.

Sorted out the horrendously loud initial connection bong by adjusting the volume on the steering wheel as it was playing the bong. Had to be quick to catch it.

Also, I get a message Insert SIM on the RNS-E under List. Is this to do with the Bluetooth Module being limited functionality. I am able to page through my contacts on the DIS, and call those there, so it's more than I need to be fair, but I'd like to confirm that the Insert SIM message isn't something I may be missing out on.

Cheers, Lee

Last edited:
Hi Craig,

Changing the 7 in 0301715 on RNS-E to 2 did just the job.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers, Lee

Last edited: