JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Speaker Impedance Question

I hear that the impedance on Audi A3 bose speakers is 2 ohms. Obviously standard stuff is 4 ohms.

So if I want to fit an amp to power the standard speakers, can I just add a resistor to the speakers to up the impedance??

Or whould that be just too easy?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Speaker Impedance Question

Any decent amp is stable at 2 ohms for 2 or 4 channel use, just make sure it has a low impedance selector.
    If you're not upgrading the speakers then you won't get any benefit from upgrading the amp, it'll probably sound worse as the Bose speakers are "tuned" (apparently) to the Bose amp and the Bose EQ on the head unit. The Bose speakers in an A3/S3 are only 4" units all round and are easily blown just with the Bose amp, so I doubt you'd find an amp with that little power that wouldn't destroy the poor little things.
    If you want to imrove the sound without changing the speakers then add a decent sub (or one of my stealth subs) as this will allow you to run the HU at minus Bass settings so you get much better clarity & SQ from the cabin speakers.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Okay doke. That all makes sense. I didn't realise that the speakers were "tuned" to the bose stuff.

I was thinking of swapping things due to the following reason.
    When I fade to say front +3 all the treble dissapears. Also if I fade to rear completely and then left and right the bass comes and goes. I would have thought it should stay whether you are faded left or right.

Anyways, I have two Alpine amps. One four channel and another two channel. I also have a kenwood EQ, so I thought sod it, I'll just scrap the bose system and fit my amps. I need to keep the standard head unit for security reasons.
    I was planning to use just the line outs of the concert radio and then use my standard speakers for a while until I get some spare cash. I was also planning one of your subs anyway.

As for the Bose EQ setting on the radio, I know this can be switched off via VAG-COM, as I've tried it. Would you suggest I use the non-bose EQ settings (I can tweak the EQ) via my standalone Kenwood unit which will control the sub levels as well as the parametrics etc.
    Also the Kenwood EQ has the ability to stop all low bas running to the four speakers, which I thought would help them out a bit.

Just trying to work it all out in me head before I start ripping stuff out. If I have to wait until I have all the parts, then I'll do that.

Status

Yes, on the Bose system the sub is linked to one front channel and one rear channel, rather than just the rears (like the non-Bose system). This is so when you fade to front, which is the preferred setup, you don't lose the sub.
    Likewise if you fade to rear. Most people aren't going to run the system faded fully to left or right so you should end up with some sub at all times.
    Not sure about the treble, I found the Bose system overall lacked clarity, and gave an overall woolly sound with no clear punch to the bass or treble at the hi end.
    If you're swapping out the amp, then I would turn off the Bose EQ, some people prefer it switched off anyway.
    If you're filtering the cabin speakers (high pass) then you'll need to rewire the sub, as otherwise it will get no bass either, and you'll lose that wonderful Bose rumbling "aftermarket exhaust" sounding growl.
    I would still suggest adding a sub first and develop the system from there as otherwise you are going to spend a lot of time and effort trying to improve an unimprovable base system, with the likelihood you'll make it sound worse in the interim.
    You can sell the Bose sub on ebay (alot of people have blown theirs up) and get around 110 for it, so this will go a long way to financing the upgrade

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Thanks for your input andy. Some good nfo to think about there.