What Ipod will work with my Ipod dock?

Wonker

Reaction score
Morning All,

I'm thinking of getting an Ipod to go with the Ipod dock I have in the Glovebox (seems the logical thing to do :) )

I have the STD single disc Concert system in my 56 plate A3 Sportback.

I have never owned an Ipod before (I've got a cheap and cheerful MP3 player that suits me just fine) and I was wondering what Ipods will work (or more importantly will NOT work) with the setup I have.

I know that the Ipod Touch 4g works as I tried my mate's but I have seen the price of these (even broken/faulty ones on Ebay are going for £80!) and to be honest I would rather sing to myself than pay those prices.

I know that the 'shuffle' (whatever that is) will not work and that I need one that gives you the ability to create playlists but I will never use it other than in the car (obviously I will only take it out of the car when I create new playlists) so I am after the most basic, cheapest option that will work in my car and any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Wonker

There is an adaptor you can buy from XCARLINK It fits behind your current headunit and uses the connection from your CD disk changer from the rear of the headunit. The good thing is the XCARLINK adaptor still lets you use the CD changer and your IPOD plus it displays the tracks on your headunit and instrument cluster.

LINK: iPod Interface for new Audi 2006-2010 :: AUDI :: XCarLink

Make sure its Compatible with the headunit model and year of your car. you will be all good :).

That one will fit your Chorus headunit though but just double check

There is an adaptor you can buy from XCARLINK It fits behind your current headunit and uses the connection from your CD disk changer from the rear of the headunit. The good thing is the XCARLINK adaptor still lets you use the CD changer and your IPOD plus it displays the tracks on your headunit and instrument cluster.

LINK: iPod Interface for new Audi 2006-2010 :: AUDI :: XCarLink

Make sure its Compatible with the headunit model and year of your car. you will be all good :).

That one will fit your Chorus headunit though but just double check

Thanks for the reply mate but I am not sure I follow. I don't have the 'chorus', Mine is just the single disc 'concert' with an ipod dock in a 56 plate A3. Without the need for adapters and the like I would just like to know which ipods will work with what I've got.

Cheers anyway

Wonker

If a 4g touch works i woud think any ipod with the dock connector would work.

Did the 4G Touch charge as well? If so, as Lewie says, any iPod with the dock connector should work (I think that's all of them apart from Shuffles). You may find that it doesn't charge the 4G though, as Apple changed the pin configuration for charging a few years ago. As you plan to leave the ipod in the car, you'll be wanting it to charge as well! This gives you two options. Firstly, hunt down an older generation ipod which uses the old charging connection. Secondly buy a newer ipod and fit an adaptor (I have used a Scosche Passport successfully); this will then fix the charging issue whilst maintaining the normal connections and controls.
Personally I would try and find an older, large capacity model off eBay.
I'm not sure at which point Apple changed things around though!

Did the 4G Touch charge as well? If so, as Lewie says, any iPod with the dock connector should work (I think that's all of them apart from Shuffles). You may find that it doesn't charge the 4G though, as Apple changed the pin configuration for charging a few years ago. As you plan to leave the ipod in the car, you'll be wanting it to charge as well! This gives you two options. Firstly, hunt down an older generation ipod which uses the old charging connection. Secondly buy a newer ipod and fit an adaptor (I have used a Scosche Passport successfully); this will then fix the charging issue whilst maintaining the normal connections and controls.
Personally I would try and find an older, large capacity model off eBay.
I'm not sure at which point Apple changed things around though!

I've decided I will just look for a cheap Nano 3G from Ebay, I think they are going for around £30.

Cheers

Wonker

got any pics of the dock in ur glove box mate?

Here you go fella:

20032011903A.jpg

The Ipod dock is rubbish though, It takes ages to actually get the thing to recognise the Ipod and not get the dreaded 'No Magazine' message and then after a while the right speaker stops until I reach across and give the ipod a gentle tap!

It's a pain in the **** to be fair.