Very basic guide to get a 12v switched supply please

lewie

Reaction score
Fitting a parrot in my A4 cab- i have the mic already in just need to extend the orange 12v switched wire to the fuse box.
I am really worried about adding to the wiring and cutting the wires in my new car.
can someone give me a simple guide to adding the wire maybe as an extra to a spare fuse(not sure how to do this)
I have seen one just 'poked' into the front of the fuse box in a spare position.
I have quite a few spare ones(not sure if they are powered) as i have no heated seat etc.
many thanks

Last edited:
Depends a little on the year of your A4 and indeed how permanent you want to make it.

On my 2007 B7 A4 there's a fuse board behind a vertical panel to the right of the steering wheel.

You'll need a voltage detector to locate what fuses are only live when the ignition is on, or indeed which 'spare' fuse holders have a live switched live feed to one side. If you don't hav a voltage detector you can make one by using a 12v bulb in a bulb holder with wires connected. Connect one wire to an earth point, and use the other wire to test what is live by touching the wires on the fuse. When the bulb lights, you've got a live.

It is possible to make a connection by pulling out a switched live fuse and carefully inserting your connecting wire to where the leg of the fuse sits - before replacing the fuse.

Its a 2006 A4 cab- will give a whirl now as i have just bought a 12v tester
Ta
Paul