Alpine HU finally installed ... couple of quick qs

monty77

Reaction score
Website
www.s3.adam-m.co.uk
Nearly there now, just need to start putting panels back on.

Couple of quick questions:

1) Where can I get a feed for the dimmer input on the alpine HU? Put a multimiter on the terminal I thought was it (going by the sticker on top of the radio and it was perm live??)

2) Where can I get an adapter for the Audi radio cable, halfords didn't have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers,
Adam

haldford are [censored].. simple..

goto any other ice dealer.. or get one from autoleads............

the dimmer... humm.. unsure... as i dont dim mine.. whats the point? i have my lights on full anyways..

The dimmer feed should be the wire going to the pin denoted as a circle with little legs coming off it (like a sun), next to the ground pin IIRC.
Caraudiodirect have the antenna amps
antenna amp

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
The dimmer feed should be the wire going to the pin denoted as a circle with little legs coming off it (like a sun), next to the ground pin IIRC.
Caraudiodirect have the antenna amps
antenna amp

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Andy, that was the pin I tested. Red/white iirc - was perm 12v ?!?! Strange, I'm sure I can take a tap off the cigarette lighter illumination or something else though.

Cheers,
Adam

I have the same problem on my Golf mk5 install. I think the issue with using the cigarette lighter as a light source is that, as you dim the dash lights, using the dimmer,then this also dimms light on the 'lighter' - this will take it below 12volt, at which some point the HU will think the lights have been turned off, and brighten up the HU display.

Red with a white stripe is normally "ignition on" feed (for those of us lucky enough to have it).

radio adaptors i have loads of matey gimmie ya address and ill post ya one if ya like

[ QUOTE ]
ascaudio said:
radio adaptors i have loads of matey gimmie ya address and ill post ya one if ya like

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah nuts, bought one now. But thanks for the generous offer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers,
Adam

[ QUOTE ]
simfin said:
I have the same problem on my Golf mk5 install. I think the issue with using the cigarette lighter as a light source is that, as you dim the dash lights, using the dimmer,then this also dimms light on the 'lighter' - this will take it below 12volt, at which some point the HU will think the lights have been turned off, and brighten up the HU display.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, didn't think of that. Time to hunt through the fusebox for a fuse that's 12v when the lights are switched on!

Cheers,
Adam

Well I finally got everything installed.... Autoleads FP1800 facia adapter fits a treat and looks OEM - think it's listed as being for a Seat Leon ?!

alpine.jpg

Cheers all!
Adam