MP3 FM transmitter - which?

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Hi guys, decided to get an FM transmitter for my MP3 (non iPod) so I can listen to the MP3 in the car (S3 8L) without changing the head unit. Any recommendations? Thinking of getting the Belkin Tunecast Auto Universal with Clearscan. Anyone tried it? Anyone tried it in an A3/S3 8L? Anyone recommend a good FM transmitter?

Cheers.

I've had both ends of the spectrum: £10 budget special from scan.co.uk (own brand)... and that was £10 about 8yrs ago, I've seen them for about a fiver since...

Also the DAB Pure Highway that transmits to FM also works very well at forwarding MP3 to the headunit and does a pretty good job of covering as a DAB radio.

Aha, sounds good Andy. Seen mixed reviews of the various FM transmitters; some people say they're great and some say the sound quality is poor or the signal reception is temperamental.

Presumably with the Connects2 adapter, it's just a case of connecting the cable into the back of the head unit CD changer port and routing the wire to a convenient point for the MP3, right?

hardwired will ALWAYS be better (even if you use the Pure Highway for DAB :) still better to hardwire).

My experience is that the sound quality is very good, but you lose a lot of volume, so if you're going push the volume up much, you need to get it hardwired.

OK, well then hard-wiring it is then. Any recommendations of how to route the cable to a convenient point? I was thinking either glove box or the cubby hole above the ash-tray. Just not sure how to route it there without removing half the dash.

Just remove the glovebox and you'll have loads of room to feed the cable through. Glovebox is just 3 or 4 bolts along the top (inside) one at each end underneath and 3 behind the dash end cover. Unscrew the big plastic screw underneath that holds the carpetty bit underneath the glovebox and the whole thing lifts out. If you have an airbag switch in the GB then if you disconnect it ensure you do not turn the ignition on until you reconnect as this will throw a fault and disable all your airbags

Fantastic, thanks for the help. Is there a particular tool to get the radio out (Concert)?

Last edited:
Yes you need the Audi (euro) radio removal keys. Only use them to release the spring clips, do not use them to pull the HU out as you can easily damage the clips. Remove the glovebox and push the HU from behind once the keys are engaged. They are inserted with the curved/angled sides facing each other.

Wow, can't believe the difference in price, plus they do one for the Citroen C4 (we have a C4 Grand Picasso as the family car - bit different to drive than the S3...). That'll be 2 of those then.

I'll second the glove-box off approach - loads of room and very clean and tidy.

I've also got a 2x 12V socket + USB charger in there, so I can charge my iPod / phone / MiFI, etc in the cubby hole.... out of the way of praying eyes.

Yes, I cheat and use a Freeview tuner for my iPod AV line in, but you get the idea :)

Last edited:
Well, I installed the Connects 2 adaptor today and it's great. Simple MP3 connection with great sound quality, all hidden away in the glove box. So thanks for your help guys.

Only problem is that I discovered that at some time in my car's history a previous owner has had the Concert head unit out and has rewired some of the connections. Some wires have been cut and others re-connected to each other. All controls work fine so it seems not to affect its performance, but if I ever want to replace the head unit (eg when the volume control starts playing up) I guess it's not going to be simple. Only thing I can think of is to get a new connector block, strip back each wire individually and re-wire it as it should be. Sounds like a nightmare though. Any other ideas?