Various speaker Questions from a clueless idiot..

LSFforever

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just came in here for some advice as I'm pretty clueless about the electric side of things. I've a Audi A3 (2000) and have just purchased some Hertz Energy speakers; ESK130mm 2way Components (150w) for the front and some ECX165mm Coaxial (140w) for the back. I was due to have them fitted where I bought them (they had assured me there that the fronts were able to fit) but the price was too much and I have a mate that is capable of fitting them anyway. I've heard I need some MDF collars for each speaker, where's the best place to buy these ready made?

Also I'm leaving the standard head unit in and plan on getting an iphone adapter to go in the back, is the OEM unit sufficient to run the speakers I have off them, without problems? Also where can I buy the tool to remove the head unit as I haven't got any of them pokey things.

Lastly, will the sub in the boot be affected by installing the new speakers or is it necessary to upgrade it?

Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find all the info around. Cheers, appreciate any help! :yes:

No one can help? Bought some collars that Andy Mac was selling now so no worries there.

Those ESK130's are too deep to use with the MDF adapters. 54mm is the max depth and thats front to back as the speakers are rear mounted. The Hertz units are 56mm front mounted, but 60mm rear mounted.
You could maybe try the plastic adapters as they don't add any depth. The MDF adaptors add about 8mm, they are a sandwich of 9mm MDF with a 6mm MDF outer ring but half the thickness is taken up by the mounting posts leaving roughly 8mm. The plastic adapters are pretty hopeless. They rarely fit properly and add no much needed rigidity to the door card for the mid woofer to kick against, but they are really your only option if you want to stick with those components and still use your windows.

Just found a slightly different spec on the Audison site which says they are 56mm front to back, so they might just squeeze in

Hmm, well I was looking at the Rainbows SLX230 components, so I'm gonna take the Hertz ones back and purchase a set the Rainbows I reckon, from what Ive read they seem spot on! They should go nicely with the rear Hertz coaxs hopefully. Can't find the rainbows dimensions though, does anyone know? I assume the rear speaker space would have no problem accomodating the Hertz coax speaker and adaptor together?

Also is a new amp necessary, the local dealer seems to think that its fine to run them off the OE unit.

Last edited:
The HU is 2 x 20w peak (so around 2 x 12wrms) same for the rear amp so an amp is advised. However a sub upgrade would be a far better move as any speaker will be compromised by the flimsy door card, so even with an amp you won't get a huge improvement for the money spent.

Wish the fella's in the shop told me this, thats why I'm a bit confused. Will fitting an upgraded sub mean I won't need to fit an amp then?

My mate's got a similar power of speakers in his Audi and the standard head unit, with a JBL amp in the boot but he also has an amp thats why I wasn't sure whether I need one.

You'd just need an amp for the sub. the cabin speakers can remain as is as they will be handling zero bass and just a bit of mid bass so can be driven harder without distortion. The speaker upgrade will provide an improvement but only the mid-high range, but you need to sort the sub first and for similar money it is a far better bang for your buck

Ok, might sort myself out with one of them, I was listening to my mates in his car and it does sound all alot better as a whole with the upgraded sub.

cheers Andy,

p.s. i replied ot the message you sent me on ebay yesterday, could you let us know about the adaptors cheers.

With the rainbows, is there a difference between the 320slx deluxe and normal 320slx, the mounting depth says 52mm with mounting ring and 54mm without.

The deluxe has a proper crossover (which is adjustable) whereas the cheaper model has just an inline capacitor on the tweeter. I would go with the cheaper model as it makes the install easier (no bulky Xover to hideaway).

Would the sound quality gap be noticeable between the 2? As I was hoping for the best set of speakers for price without resorting to budget ones.