Newbie to the Audi scene.

andyam

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive recently purchased a 1.9tdi A3 SE, it has come with a chorus 2 stereo with tape player and also a CD changer, after a long investigation i have noticed i have front and back speakers along with a sub....My question is can i do a straight swap for a concert as the chorus well its fugly with a tape player....lol
Also say if the concert was from another type of Audi....i.e not an A3 but an A4 would it fit?
Looking to buy the concert soon soo any news would be great thanks!!

Andyam! :)

You just need to ensure it is from a pre2000 A3
Around 2000 Audi changed their HU's to CANBUS controlled. This means a later model will work but will switch off after an hour as it won't be getting the CANBUS signal to say the ignition is on.
A non A3 model will have a slightly different fascia so may not fit flush.

Sorry disregard my post, thought you had an 8L model A3 (no idea why)
You just need to check whether yours uses ISO or Quadlock connectors (should be quadlock on a 2006, but you can't guarantee it with Audi).
Then just ensure the replacement is the same

What about changing to double din and having an indash cd changer such as the symphony?

Changing to DD requires a new centre console and different climate control unit, so only really worth the effort if you go down the RNSe route to make use of the big screen. If all you want is a changer then just add a changer

Concert II and chorus II are both ISO on a 56 plate, changed at 57 to a quadlock when the double din chorus and concert II+ units came out.

Sorry disregard my post, thought you had an 8L model A3 (no idea why)
You just need to check whether yours uses ISO or Quadlock connectors (should be quadlock on a 2006, but you can't guarantee it with Audi).
Then just ensure the replacement is the same

OK, just been checking the release dates. The quadlock was only on RNS-E and concert/chorus/symphony II+ . The concert/chorus/symphony II was upto 2005/6 when the B7 chassis was released, then the concert/chorus/symphony II+ was used with quadlock. The RNS-E has been quadlock since 2004.

And just to be certain, we are talking about a chorus with tape deck in the original post, so that must be a single DIN chorus II with ISO connectors. And he wants to replace with a concert II, so again single DIN ISO.

Just to clarify one last point from the original post, yes you must use an A3 concert II, the A4/A6/A2 will not be suitable and electrically they are different. The A3 8P chassis was the first to use a can gateway and that makes it unique for radios. Any other model will not function correctly in an A3.

Last edited: