8L S3 with SAT-NAV, 'NO CD CHANGER' displayed on screen

A3 steve

Reaction score
I've got a problem with the 6 Disc CD Changer in the boot of my '52 plate 8L chassis S3 thats fitted with SAT NAV. I selected CD on the head unit and got the message 'No CD Changer' appear on the screen. The CD magazine wouldn't eject from the changer so I took the changer apart today and got the magazine out so have my CDs back.

I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the changer when i had it apart. Is there anything common that goes wrong with these changers and any known fixes?

The changer has an Audi part number 4B0 035 111 A and is assembled by Matsushita.

Thanks

Steve

If the magazine wouldn't eject then it can't be getting 12v from the HU. There is no separate fuse between the HU and the changer, so it either a faulty connection a the HU or the changer is kaputt unless there is a fuse on the PCB inside the changer

Cheers

I looked for fuse on the PCB but couldn't see one, are the wiring diagrams available anywhere? I'll get the fluke meter on the plug to check for 12v, all other functions of the HU work fine.

Looks like a Panasonic DP9060 is the same unit.

Yes it is but the interface is different (not just the plug). You need a £40 box of tricks to make the Panasonic work with the stock HU, and you may get interference as a result (alternator whine). Far better to stick with the stock Audi one as there's plenty around.
The wiring for the plug is on the top of the HU for the HU end and is here for the changer end:
AudiCDchangerpinouts-1.jpg

If the changer is ****** why not change it for a phatbox...

Thanks for the picture Andy.

phatbox? whats that?

Can an ipod control be wired into the HU in place of the CD changer?

Phatbox is a hard drive solution for all your mp3's. Like a massive CD changer.
To wire up an iPOD you need a Connects2 adapter which fools the HU into thinking a changer is attached so allows an AUX in for mp3 input.
Or there are more elegant/expensive solutions like xcarlink or Dension ICELink which offer levels of control over the iPOD from the HU.