Straight replace speakers for 8L A3/S3 write up

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Ok, found myself soooo bored the last few days so took a trip to Halfrauds this afternoon with DaveA3's shopping list of speakers in hand - managed to get a pair of inifinity 6x9's reduced from £80 (yeah right) down to £40 which saved me ordering online, then bought a 13cm Edge component speaker set, measured 54cm in depth so thought id give them a try.

I should mention that my intention was to clear the horrible tinny sound thats recently appeared when using the ipod through the parrot system - as opposed to doing a full install.

Firstly the easiest to fit were the fronts suprisingly, i merely replaced the tweeters, hid the cross over and mounted the base speaker on two of the existing holes, drilling a small hole below the grill and using a black screw that came with the Edge speakers to secure the speaker - it's that low down that you really cant see it, not ideal but after sitting with the door card in the living room for an hour scratching my head, it was easier than making MDF jobbies. I chopped all four existing cables and ran two of these (+ and -) to the crossover - job done!! and suprisingly the speakers were shallow enough to cause no issues. :thumbsup:

The rears seemed a lot harder to fit, i ended up mounting these on two existing screws which seemed to do the job until i tried to refit the card!! :sadlike: the magnets hitting the seat belt mechanism stopped me putting the card back!! :keule: plan B was even more 'half *****', i mounted via one existing screw then wedged the speaker between the other two existing holes, inserting two screws each with large washers attached, this was enough to clamp the speaker in place and secure the speaker to the card - luckily just clearing the seat belt mechanism although shorting out so it was close!! easily fixed with electrical tape ;) .

I might add that normally i do tend to take a bit of time to do the perfect job, but this really wasn't something that interested me enough to take the time, intention was to make the system a useable one - now the worst part, the noise was still there!!! so after a 2 second assesment of the ipod i turned the EQ off, problem solved!!! :banghead: ah well, it does sound better than it did and i can now turn the volume up without distortion which is brill ;) £80 well spent :racer:

Tim

Lol. Just read your post on my thread. The wire colours for the fronts would be greats, just need to know the polarity.

Well as you have done such a dash job, I think you will be proper impressed with mine, I was very anal about it :p will get some pics up.

Nice one dude,i wouldn't have expected anything less ;) um fronts are both green wires, black line on positive

Nice one dude,i wouldn't have expected anything less ;) um fronts are both green wires, black line on positive

i couldnt see those colours... anywhere. I ended up running new wires directly the HU to the rears and connected onto the front down the the kick panels. Anyway...

no point of me makeing a new thread...

How my s3 was looking earlier...
IMG_0400.jpg

Rear speakers mounted like this:

IMG_0397.jpg

Like my shoes?

At every bit of exposed of metal behind the speakers I stuck on stickyback 8mm sound deadening. Should do the trick. I was worried that the speaker could sound muffled... but it doesnt at all which is good.

Not much too see with regards to the fronts, as said the tweeters were a direct replacement and mount the speakers as you wish. I used anymacs MDF adapters, saved me a couple hours of work and they fitted great. All good except my crossover units were massive and only just managed to find a place to mount them.

Also found this little doodar in the footwell under the plastic panel:

IMG_0395.jpg

At first I thought it was a tunning box, as it appeared to be a black box with a 5 or 6 wires going upto the fuse board. This worried me lol... so I had an examination and im now pretty sure that its a tracker unit... took it apart and it has a hefty battery inside and motorola stasmped over it... But I have no paperwork for a tracker ever being fitted... strange.

Overall fitting new stereo has pleased me very much, A considerable upgrade over the bose:yes:, and decent linkage to ipod give a very crisp sound and a nice amount of bass from the amss. Speakers totaled about £180 with the sound deadening, but should hopefullly claw alot of it back with the sale of the bose system.

The rears seemed a lot harder to fit, i ended up mounting these on two existing screws which seemed to do the job until i tried to refit the card!! :sadlike: the magnets hitting the seat belt mechanism stopped me putting the card back!! :keule: plan B was even more 'half *****', i mounted via one existing screw then wedged the speaker between the other two existing holes, inserting two screws each with large washers attached, this was enough to clamp the speaker in place and secure the speaker to the card - luckily just clearing the seat belt mechanism although shorting out so it was close!! easily fixed with electrical tape ;)

LMAO just read this again... im actually shaking my head

looks like a nice job that mate, assumed the adaptors would be mounted that way, did you replace the big polystyrene lumps?

Oh I've had a bad one today, when putting the cards back one of the speakers broke my seat belt pre tensioner connector, so had to reattach, wil take a trip to scrappy soon to replace...luckily able to clear the code :)

haha no, i just cut them up asnd wedge them in as best as possible. Lowering my NCAP rating by 1.

When it comes to fitting interior... you definately have to approach it with a clear head, else its bound to go wrong.

Ya know what,i actually thought the panels came off quite easily,i was expecting to buy new clips etc but was pleasantly suprised when the fronts just lifted off, rears were a little bit more of a pain - compared to my old vauxhall :)

Tim you really should not be screwing new speakers to the panels without using adapters. The adapter is not just to secure the speaker, it's main function is to seal the front of the speaker against the panel, so you don't get cancellation. Without this your speakers are just flapping in free air and will sound terrible.
Sorry didn't want to curb your enthusiam, which is admirable, but for the sake of £30 you could have made your life a lot easier and the end result much better.

To be fair andy, after seeing how neat that job is I was going to mail you and ask about the costs of such items, do you do fronts and backs and at what cost posted? Also I have some go od quality cable lying about, is it worth rewiring with the standard hu or am I wasting my time

£25 delivered for fronts & rears.
Absolutely no point rewiring with the standard HU

Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated - As i am sticking with the OEM HU, is it worth changing the rear base bin speaker and crossover/amp? i assume not, you know my aims here....

pm'd regards the adaptors....

The only way you can get decent sound in the A3 without custom door builds is to use a proper sub. Speakers mounted to flimsy door cards will never be able to produce anything approaching punchy bass, so you need a sub to make up the difference.

Understood Andy.... I'll make a call on the bin once I've fitted your adaptors - can you let me know how you want payment sending for the adaptors? cheque, bank transfer, paypal?

*additional note* just been reading up on your installs, impressive!! i've seen plenty of people rate your sub, no issues there.... my thinking is more of a case of, it's going to cost me £250 for the sub, plus a 4 ch amp (£70 for a V12? sounds cheap).... which is going to be used with the standard HU and is more than what i wanted to spend.

On another note and another reason i'm reluctant to spend on this car - is the 8P sub the same as the 8L

chars as always

Tim

Last edited:
hehe nice one mate. at least its all sorted now.

now wheres my shopping list gone... lol

no worries mate, i had you in mind when i did the write up as got most of the info was from your thread - i'd defo suggest doing it properly as mine really is a bodget and scarper jobby - my speakers are secure just to a horrible flimsy piece of ***** (the door cards).

just awaiting Andy PM'ing me back regards getting some adaptors ordered......

Andy - sent payment last night mate (thought best placed here so as not to clog ya inbox)

All received, thanks, forgot they were 6x9's, will need to modify the standard rear rings so may take a couple of days

No worries Andy.... i weren't sure if you did them like that as standard, blame Ali for that :)