Which I-pod interface for A3 RNS-E?

Are you just after audio or you want full video playback too? With or without integration?

Just audio? Audi do the cable (for about £100) or there are some equivalent cables on eBay for about £20, I think.

This is stupid money, but the Alpine KCE-425i is amazing: £200-ish online (CarAudioCentre) plus £? for wiring looms and then do the VIM hack and fitting yourself or if you're lazy, £380 from HazzyDays fully fitted. This gives does audi + video and gives you pretty much FULL control of your iPod via the RNS-E controls (and some control, inluding tracks, etc via the steering) - just chuck it in the glove box and leave it charging.

Even more stupid money which will give you a slightly LESS integrated, albeit much broader product, would be one of the Ampire video adapters: I've got the Freeview+ tuner in mine (the TV part which is fully integrated), which takes any sized USB pen drive and plays videos and music off it... AND has two video lines in: for an iPod/iPhone, incl video and lord knows what else (PS2 slim?): (£450ish+fitting or £600-odd fully fitted, with VIM hack, etc)...like I said, stupid money.

I was going to ditch my "basic" iPod AV+charger lead for one of these iPod AV+remote docking stations from Clas Ohlson, so when the iPod is sat in the dock in the glove box, I can control the video / music via the remote.

Probably a step too far as the Ampire unit already does everything I REALLY want the RNS-E to show (and handles more video formats), but I may be tempted eventually.

Happy Holidays to you all! hope you and your families have all had a brilliant day. mine not so much, hence why i'm on here lol

similar question from me:

i'm planning my next modification. i'm after RNS-E 2010, and want BT and iPod/iPhone music integration, with the following "must have" features:

1. Artist and track name display on the HU/DIS
2. Steering wheel controls for phone and music
3. Charging for iPhone
4. Browsing contacts etc. as per OEM installation
5. Completely hidden as per OEM installation

my question is this: is there any other way to do this other than OEM Audi equipment? i'll stump for it if i have to but it's rather expensive. i've been looking at the Dension Gateway Five which has some of the features i'm after, although someone on another forum has said that he can't make outgoing calls on his phone because the steering controls don't work for it and the phonebook isn't displayed on DIS. also, the phone has to be manually connected to the system every time - it doesn't automatically link. apparently Dension are taking this quite seriously and are trying to find a work around, but until they do i don't wanna get the equipment! any other suggestions guys?

cheers in advance

S.

Mine's all OEM: so can't comment on aftermarket alternatives, but when you get it done, make sure you get somebody to enable the SDS-High which enables the "speech" button on the steering.

Regarding the DIS track names, I think you'll need one of the £200-odd Alpine units (Alpine KCE-425i) - I thought I was gonna do that at first, but if you setup the ID3 track names on the SD cards properly, you'll get the track names on the DIS.

Here's an alternative for the Clas Ohlson iPod doc (if you do sort out video in): from Play.com couple of quid cheaper and in black rather than white.

thanks for your reply.

the Alpine kit you have to use the video input don't you? i didn't like that lol. #

considering i'm still saving up anyways maybe Dension will release a fix. if they do i'll be a very happy man lol

any other input would be greatly appreciated

S.

given that the Alpine unit displays videon, I'd guess yes.... but not sure - I've "just" got the Ampire with plain the iPod cable where I hit play / browse tracks/videos on the iPod... but I use the RNS-E and a couple of 4Gb SD cards for most of my MP3 listening...

Yeah that was an alternative solution - I was just gonna leave the AMI and use SD cards. I like the idea of just plugging my iPhone in tho - a lot less hassle too cos my iPhone gets updated with tracks I listen to quite regularly so I just plug it in and take it out as I need