JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

Component install in S3 question

OK I used the autoleads speaker adapters but the way the speaker sits in the adapter it crushes the outer rubber damping edge of the speaker cone - makes them sound crap!

What am I missing? Do I need to make some spacers for the screws or do I have the wrong adapters??

Cheers!
    Adam

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Component install in S3 question

No they're the right adapters just wrong make.
    All autoleads products are sh*t, and seem to be designed not to work properly. It's the same story with the speaker adapters they supply for the rears, they leave a 5mm gap all the way round the speaker, or even the fascia adapters that require drastic modification just to actually fit them, then they still stick out and look nothing like the fascia they're supposed to match.
    Best bet is to make your own from 12mm MDF, at least they'll work properly.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    AndyMac said:
    No they're the right adapters just wrong make.
    All autoleads products are sh*t, and seem to be designed not to work properly. It's the same story with the speaker adapters they supply for the rears, they leave a 5mm gap all the way round the speaker, or even the fascia adapters that require drastic modification just to actually fit them, then they still stick out and look nothing like the fascia they're supposed to match.
    Best bet is to make your own from 12mm MDF, at least they'll work properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm being a plank here but how would I make a set of spacers from MDF?

Don't suppose you could chuck a couple in with my stealth sub could you? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Adam

PS: Did you get my cheque ok? Post is crap at the moment [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

cut a bit of 12mm mdf that will fit over the hole in the door skin, and cut a hole for the speaker in the mdf.

attach the mdf to the door skin, and the speaker to the mdf.

Due to the sturdier mount compared to the flimsy plastic adapter, you will have much tighter and stronger mid bass from the speakers.

Amit

1st Gear

Status

does anyone have a template for making adapters out of mdf ? I would rather use wood than plastic....

4th Gear

Status

i got infinity kapp 50.5cs for my s3, and the cone area is larger than usual for a 13cm speaker - all the available adapters that i tried trapped the cone rubber - i made up my own spacer using mdf to go between the standard plastic adapter and the speaker - worked a treat but needed 6mm mdf sheet, 1/2 hour of time and a jigsaw.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    dunk said:
    i got infinity kapp 50.5cs for my s3, and the cone area is larger than usual for a 13cm speaker - all the available adapters that i tried trapped the cone rubber - i made up my own spacer using mdf to go between the standard plastic adapter and the speaker - worked a treat but needed 6mm mdf sheet, 1/2 hour of time and a jigsaw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Superb, thanks Dunk.

So in effect I'd be running 2 spacers?

Cheers,
    Adam

1st Gear

Status

To make it easier for you Adam I would first cut the hole in the MDF sheet where the speaker will sit inside. Drill a hole away from the cutting edge to give the jigsaw blade a starting point. Then cut the outer edge of the spacer. It would be impossible to do this the other way around!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm gonna do this on my next install, and also use the tip on sealing the speaker in the door card! You can also use some dynamat on the door itself around the speaker to help minimise vibration if you want?

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Naresh said:
    To make it easier for you Adam I would first cut the hole in the MDF sheet where the speaker will sit inside. Drill a hole away from the cutting edge to give the jigsaw blade a starting point. Then cut the outer edge of the spacer. It would be impossible to do this the other way around!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm gonna do this on my next install, and also use the tip on sealing the speaker in the door card! You can also use some dynamat on the door itself around the speaker to help minimise vibration if you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

All sounds like a lot of work [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] lol

...will do, have a dynamat door kit sitting at home waiting for some dry weather to take the doors apart again!

Cheers,
    Adam