Need clarification on something please

ImS3ola

Reaction score
Ok, so i've currently just got the boggo non-bose system with symphony hu. First plan was to keep the standard speakers and hu and just add the andymac sub for some extra bass (run off a 2ch amp). From what i've read this isn't possible - am I right in saying the rear speakers are powered by the same amp that the powers the standard 'sub' and the front speakers are run off the symphony hu. Thus if I disconnect the sub and add Andys one i'll lose my rear speakers?

If so, is it possible to keep the standard speakers all round and just add Andys enclosure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yes the rears run off the sub amp, so you need a 4 channel amp when adding my sub, or you can extract the tiny amp from the Audi sub and reuse it just for the rears.

add the andymac sub with 4 channel amp and get some 17cm coaxial replacement for the rear speakers for about £50-£100 your ears will love you for ever.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Yes the rears run off the sub amp, so you need a 4 channel amp when adding my sub, or you can extract the tiny amp from the Audi sub and reuse it just for the rears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a difficult job to re-use the audi amp to power the rear speakers? Would it be done by stripping the speaker wires from the amp, adding spade connectors and connecting them to the appropiate terminals on the red plug (same principle as your mini loom?).

Reason I ask is i'm not too happy about getting a 4ch amp to power the rear speakers and your sub. Seems a bit of a waste if I keep the fronts running off the HU. I really just want to keep the standard speakers and HU and add your sub for a bit of low end really.

I dont understand why Audi have to make everything so difficult - would it be too much trouble to run all interior speakers off the Symphony HU and the 'sub' off a seperate amp? And whilst i'm on my rant, what is the point in the 'sub' in a non-bose setup - you cant even tell the ****** thing is playing. And why couldn't they make room for 6.5" speakers in the front. And why is there room for 5.25" speaker yet they fit 4" ones.......

Thanks Audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It could actually be slightly easier to reuse it. I would disconnect it from the sub speaker, plug it back into the red plug and wrap tape round the old sub connections.
Mount it behind the rear speaker panel on the wheel arch out the way, with some strong double sided.
Then you can cut the pre-out's and the remote on wires and using a terminal block connect them back up again along with the ends of the mini loom. This will effectively give you a Y split on the pre-outs feeding both the Audi amp and the new sub amp. Cutting the wires isn't a problem as they will be hidden inside the Audi sub should you want to take the system back to stock in the future.

Sorry I don't know the answers to your other questions, but would just like to add:
"why is the Bose sub mounted in the same feeble plastic box as the non Bose?"
"why don't they use proper screened connections for the pre-outs?"
"why don't all car manufacturers put a 50amp fused conection in the boot?"
etc etc etc