Replacing a Symphony II on an A3

Sirus

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought an A3 that has the Symphony II (CD & Tape) and want to upgrade it as I have no need for a tape player whatsoever.

This is the unit I have:

symphonyII.jpg

Could people suggest suitable Audi head units that will a) fit, and b) still work with my instrument panel display (ie display radio station).

I have been looking on ebay at head units such as this:

dscn3821ou0.jpg
dscn3821ou0.jpg
dscn3821ou0.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - dscn3821ou0.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

... i don't understand the need to change? i mean it's got CD as well, and you can fit basic iPod integration into it relatively inexpensively.

if you're adamant on a swap you can fit the Symphony II plus which has a bigger screen and no tape player but still 6 CDC in dash, or go the whole hog and get RNS-E.

for a used older style RNS-E you'll be looking around £500 for all the bits if you install it yourself. you'll then need to get it coded. there's loads of thread on this if you have a look around.

best of luck

S.

Thanks sub39h.

I just feel that it looks a bit 1980's with the tape player and for the sake of about £100-£150 off ebay for a good quality used model, I may as well update it.

I'm intrigued about your comment regarding iPod integration. Can you elaborate? At the moment I just have a radio transmitter that I plug into my iPod.

Thanks.

Just get a Connects2 adapter to provide a proper AUX in for your iPOD, or if you want full integration then an xcarlink
Pointless to upgrade the HU just to get rid of the tape player and get no extra features.
Also your 04 plate A3 will have ISO connections so you need to ensure any replacement is from a similar year as they changed the HU to quadlock in 2005, which will mean a shedload of adapters needed converting it back to ISO.

If you change from your current stereo to the one you have linked to, you will have reception issues on the radio as they use different boosters etc. These can be retrofitted fairly easily, but will cost.

In regards to the iso/quadlock, it is no big deal. All you need is a n adapter lead which will be 99% plug and play ( You will have to piggyback one cable to a spare pin to get power to the newer stereo)

I know exactly where you are coming from about the dated look. I originally swapped from a single din stereo to the concert 2 + double din, for the same reason. However, it took only a short time for me to then decide to go the full hog and get the rns-e. It is a better option for you, your current antennas and boosters will be fine, and you will only need to buy one adapter lead like here to fit it. Then a simple bit of coding and it will be perfect. Also, I think if you look around and are savvy, you will be able to get your rns-e in for a lot less than £500

HTH