Kenwood head unit issues

w00dy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have some questions about this install so bear with me please :)

I am fitting my kenwood 8022bt in place of the RNS-D (i think) i got the autoleads PC9-410 and connected the blue/white remote wire to the pink/black from the kenwood but when i power the unit up i have no sound at all.

I have probabely missed something really stupid, but i'm stumped:(

Also along with the standard FM/AM ariel there are another 2, i assume one of them is for the GPS/satnav but what is the other for and is it important?

Is it possible to use the origional Audi 6 disc changer thats in the glove box with a kenwood head unit?

Cheers,

Woody

You need to ensure the adapter is getting 12v on the flying lead when the HU is on. This is the trigger that switches on the amp. I'm assuming you have Bose if you're not getting anything from the speakers as with non Bose the fronts run directly off the HU so should work no problem. Is there a setting in the HU that switches the RCA's on/off?Some fancy HU's have all sorts of annoying settings like this for no possible reason at all.

Cheers Andy, I did give it a 12v supply, and still nothing...........but then after spending all weekend trying to figure out what was wrong I spotted it:) The PC9-410 lead supplied by Dynamic Sounds, was wired at the wrong side of the connector, the rca's and power were being fed to the cd rather than the amp, after i spent another 15 quid on a celsus lead, it worked first time :D So as you can imaging im pretty relieved and annoyed at the same time and needless to say the lead is getting sent right back to them.

I do still have one problem, i purchased a celsus amplified antenna adapter, but i cannot get it to work properly, am i right in thinking that it requires a 12v supply to operate properly?

Cheers.

Yes it needs to be connected to the power antenna feed from the Kenwood so it goes on/off with the HU

Yes it needs to be connected to the power antenna feed from the Kenwood so it goes on/off with the HU

Done that Andy,but now i have hardly any reception and an awfull whine / interference coming through aswell, any thoughts?

Also i turned the HU off this morning on the way to work, after approx 30 seconds the speakers started making a whine, now im really confused:(

Cheers.

First thing to try is re earthing the HU chassis. Run a cable fron the chassis to the chassis of the car to ensure it has a good earth.

i to have poor reception with a kenwood headunit, its OK not perfect when driving, when stoped its aweful

any ideas, the head unit is just plugged n with the correct iso leads, but the headunit (metal case) isnt earthed. is it worth earthing the HU itself?

cheers

No the earthing is to eliminate the alternator whine w00dy was getting.
As said you need the powered antenna adapter to feed power to the aerial amp in the boot.