rns-e or non genuine from ebay

millwrx

Reaction score
looking to upgrade to a satnav unit in my b6 a4 avant,seen some on ebay but all the extras need to be brought as add ons with the rns-e,the none genuine ones seen to have it all built in already,is anyone have one of these fitted that can tell me what these are like?he emailed me today to say all of the wiring etc is included,and the unit uses tomtom westren europe software which he sends you a link to be able to download it for free,seems to be a really good deal over the genuine audi one as it has all the extras which you have to buy already built in,the only thing which it doesnt do is display it on the lcd screen between the clocks,would like to hear from someone that has brought one already really before i decide,spoke to him on the phone aswell today and it does seem to sound a really good unit,even comes with a rear view camera

ebay item

cheers

i looked at these as well, but they arent a patch on the real thing

there are basically 2 x computer inside - one runs the tomtom older ce version and the other runs the audio/mp3 etc

tomtom isnt free, even if you can download a pirated older version..

i know the rns-e is more expensive, but it integrates nicely - if you are going 3rd party there are lots of better products with proper uk support eg pioneer - there is a current thread about fitting one going now

i know what you mean,would love to hear from someone that has got one all the same as it does look good valve for money,on this feedback he has sold lots of them and they all seem to give him very good feedback

just found some clips on youtube of it working,its made by auto radio,to be honest it looks spot on,only things it doesnt do is display the radio station on the lcd screen between the clocks,not bothered about that really and the radio station from what i can see does not get displayed,eg RDS,i do think the genuine rns-e is good but at the cost of that,£450 of ebay and then the cost of all the add on boxes,eg tv,dvd,bluetooth,ipod etc,its makes this unit really good value,think i might have to bit the bullet and order one and then do a thread?????????

well got it at long last,looks like a quality bit of kit,has anyone any links to wiring diagrams for the audi radio looms???what wire does what please

all fitted and i can say that its defo worth the money,did have to rewire the back speakers to the headunit,and i also put a screen mount aerial in to bypass the audi one,also got rid of the standared sub and amp anr replaced it with a MTX active tube,really great sound,just need to work out how to use it now.

That's really good to hear mate. Do you have any pics of it fitted and operational? Does it blend in well?

no overheat problems? that was the only "bad" thing I'd heard about those - blowing up after a few months... aside from that, they do seem to provide a lot of features. Also, I think they all have dual tuners in them now, but the earlier models only had one, so reception went a bit iffy on the move.

Have they addressed the other shortfalls they used to have?
Can you trigger voice commands using the steering wheel "speak" button?
Can you switch off voice directions and then just prompt for those via the steering too?
Does it put track names, station names and the directions on the DIS (between the dials)?
I know some of them struggled to integrate with the Audi speakers if you had the upgraded BOSE setup.

Each to their own really, but I figured that I would be using the satnav, while the missus wanted to look at music / videos, etc... and having voice navigation on permanently drives me nuts, so I have the directions set to display on the DIS, and the voice prompts set to "when requested only" (via steering button), so it then doesn't matter what media music / video stuff is going on on the other screen - hence why I went for OEM in the end.

THAT SAID.... the pro's of the 3rd party ones over the Audi kit are just as numerous as the shortfalls:
Cheaper / free map updates.
Full postcode searches!
Can include speed camera positions, etc.
Easier integration with aftermarket speakers and subs.
Integrated freeview, media player, bluetooth, DVD player, harddrive (on some): about £1500 to add that to an RNS-E.
DAB (on some - very few!)
SDHC support (RNS-E only handles SD cards).

Despite all that, I wanted some kit that just looked like it really belonged and integrated perfectly...

does not display on the dash,not sure about the voice control or steering wheel controls as i have the leather 3 spoke in mine,i've got the dvb-t model so no analog receiver in mine,heat wise it seems ok,the screen gets warm but no warmer than any other set like this,yes it wasnt just a plug and play system tho as they say it is,i didnt mind as it give me the chance to rewire the back speakers and remove the audi amp and sub and fit one with abit of boom,lol,also bypassed the hole audi radio aerial setup and fitted a celsuis eletric screen mount one which picks up every radio station,have noticed that sometimes the freeview signal can drop out or not connect but then i do live out in the sticks so reception can be a ****** at the best of times with things like this, including moblie phones etc,all in all i think it was a cracking buy.

Sounds like a good bundle.... keep an eye on the temps, especially in the summer, but it sounds like you may have found the solution everybody has been after.

A lot of of the extra features that the non-integrated ones are missing are driven off the steering wheel, so sounds like the main one you're missing is the DIS directions when people are watching telly / looking through the music.

The proper MF steering wheels are of the B7 and onwards ilk: I had the 3-spoke B6 Sport wheel, but it was pretty worn (80k miles in it's first 3 years!), so when I upgraded at no small cost (the wheel is about €900 now!), I wanted all the controls on the wheel to work... bluetooth, voice commands, EVERYTHING!

Sounds like a good bundle.... keep an eye on the temps, especially in the summer, but it sounds like you may have found the solution everybody has been after.

A lot of of the extra features that the non-integrated ones are missing are driven off the steering wheel, so sounds like the main one you're missing is the DIS directions when people are watching telly / looking through the music.

The proper MF steering wheels are of the B7 and onwards ilk: I had the 3-spoke B6 Sport wheel, but it was pretty worn (80k miles in it's first 3 years!), so when I upgraded at no small cost (the wheel is about €900 now!), I wanted all the controls on the wheel to work... bluetooth, voice commands, EVERYTHING!

some pictures ot it in the car etc,wires on the right are because i have the steering cowl off as the next thing is to fit my cruise control and module and then try and code it with my full vagcom kit i have just brought,also even tho in the pics the set looks like a different colour to the dash its not,must be something to do with the flash,
DSC00916.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01019.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

have you got any distance-pics, from the back of the car, etc: those plastic colours don't look right close up: the SatNav has a blue-ish/purple tinge that I'm sure only shows up under close flash photography, but would be good to check.

defo look black with the rest of the dash plastics,