Aftermarket headunit into 1998 A3 help needed please.

Jimmybeattie

Reaction score
hi guys,

im trying to install my pioneer avic x1 into my 98r audi a3 but im having a wee problem. i have now been trying for 2 weeks to find the correct wiring harness to go from the audi's original wiring to the avic's but with no joy. if it makes a difference the car, as standard, comes with a cassette head unit (says blaukpunt on the side) and a 6 disc changer in the boot. Here is a link to pics of the original wiring coming out of the audi and the wiring from the pioneer if it helps anybody

http://cid-612f5439d58b07ec.office.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Public/car.JPG

http://cid-612f5439d58b07ec.office.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Public/car1.JPG

does anyone know what harness i need and where i might be able to get it?

thanks very much

You just need the PC9-404 (or 410 if you have Bose) harness, which takes the Pioneers RCA's and allows thm to be plugged into the rear amp feed (or front & rear if you have Bose). You then just need to connect the blue flying lead to the Pioneers remote on or power antenna feed so that the amp switches on with the HU.
http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/audi-...g-harness-adaptor-iso-lead-819865-385086-.php
You can use the 410 on either Bose or non Bose but the 404 is cheaper
http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/audi-...g-harness-adaptor-iso-lead-819863-385086-.php

thanks for the reply.

i have bought the pc9-404 but i still cant seam to get the pioneer to even power on let alone do anything. everything connects together no problem but still nothing

also, how can i tell if i have the bose system or not?

thanks again

Right I have now found out that my car is definatly non Bose as it has a 6 1/4" rear sub as opposed to 2 smaller rear subs on the boss upgraded models. Can anyone now tell me which wiring harness I should be using please
Thanks

The PC9-404 has nothing to do with the HU powering on/off. It purely allows you to feed a signal to the rear/sub amp.
The black power ISO has both 12v perm live and ignition on live, these are wired the wrong way round on the Audi loom, but you should still be able to run the HU, you'll just lose your pre-sets everytime you remove the ignition keys. You will need to swap these over, but it shouldn't prevent the Pioneer working. Have you checked the 2 fuses for these feeds or ensured both have 12v with the ignition on?

i didnt realise that. as for checking the fuses the only ones i have checked are the one in the head unit its self and the one in the radio position in the fuse box (no 42 if i remember correctly) in the drivers side area of the dash. are these the two that you mean?

thanks again

No there's a second one on the fusebox Radio S-Kont, this is the ignition live

I've just had a look in my handbooks to find out where that "radio s-kont" fuse is but it isn't listed?
Sorry fir being useless ;)

I've just had a look in my handbooks to find out where that "radio s-kont" fuse is but it isn't listed?
Sorry fir being useless ;)

Should be on a 98, they only stopped using a normal ignition on feed on 2000+ when they swithed over to CANBUS.On the black ISO you should have 3 or 4 wires.
Red with white stripe (Perm live)
Yellow with red stripe (ignition on switched live)
Brown - earth
If you don't have the switched feed then you'll need to either create one or just double up the yellow and red feeds from the HU and connect them both to the perm live. This will mean the HU has to be turned on/off manually.
Post a pic of the wiring behind the HU if you need more info.

Just had a look and the black iso has 6 wires in it, a red one with White stripe, a brown one, grey with blue stripe, grey with White stripe, yellow with red stripe and a green with White stripe

So you have both perm live and ignition switched live (red/white & yellow/red). Just test them both with a 12v testing screwdriver and ensure they are both showing 12v with ignition on. If they are then the res/white needs to connect to the yellow on the Pioneer and the yellow/red needs to connect to the red on the Pioneer. Then the brown earth to black earth. Those are the only 3 wires you need on that connector to power up the new HU.

now im really confused!? :ermm::sos:

i checked both leads and both are putting out 12.2v with the ignition on and they are all going to the correct coloured lead on the pioneer so in theory all should be ok but i still have nothing :(

any ideas?

im thinking about trying a different head unit in the car (if i can get a shot of one from a mate) to eliminate the fact that the head unit could be knackered

I would try that for next thing, find a spare headunit that you know that works and plug that in bare in mind different makes of headunit might have a slight change in wiring positions etc but should be straight forward by matching colour wires up.

I've got a Pioneer headunit in my a3 since bought, and works perfectly just loses it's information as soon as ignition off - which is annoying me setting up bass etc every journey. I need to have a serious look at the wiring and make a few wires up as I've tried suggestions on here with no avail. Although my JVC worked perfectly until it blew for some untold reason. - still to double check/ confirm this.

Post up a photo of the wiring loom and connections here might help us out/ Andy Mac solve the problem for you.

Headunit> adapter wires > audi loom

from above you will just have to play around with the adapter wires and maybe 1 -2 of the wires on the headunit. In general should just be plug-n-play.
But having no sound, sound of it could be something faulty if all fuses are fine. - Or peace of mind drive round a mates and plug your HU in their car to see if it works.