Removing ignition key

Big Bird

Reaction score
Just occasionally, i seem to have trouble removing the key from the ignition lock. I have to restart the car, switch it off again and then take the key out!

Is there some sort of system Audi requires you to do in order to remove it/ am i being daft/ or have i got a problem with my key????

No you dont have a problem.m on my second ignition lock, soon to be my third.Since day one ive been ****** off with shoving the damn thing in and out (ooeerrr).IIve tried evey combination but still crap.Hate it.Makes a crap getaway car.The ignition lock is about £70 if you want to do it yourself

Did you get your's replaced under warranty, and what did Audi say about it??

Have advanced key so never had to use it, may have a fiddle to see whether it does work now!

Weirdly enough, since posting this up, it's only stuck maybe once or twice!!!! Typical!!!!:tocktock:

Lol, I was only pulling your leg. But I do need to hold my horse. It's a bitchh when it happens

Reactions: benjie
It happened to me a few times. Since then, I wait a fraction of a second longer after the engine has stopped to pull the key out - no problem since.

+1

I've just got a B8.. Thought there was something wrong with because I couldn't get the key to release.. I've found that if you press the key to turn the engine off and wait literally a second it'll come straight out when you pull it

You all have an issue taking the key out I have the other issue where when I push the Key in (after Ive already put my foot on the clutch) it sometimes doesnt start the lights and ignition come on but its as if it doesnt register the clutch is pressed. Its the only thing I hate about this car my 7 year old can do it better than I can!

Maybe he has smaller feet and longer legs??!!! Seriously though, this was quoted as being an issue with the clutch release mechanism which might have been updated in some models, or worse, slave cylinder assembly or at least the switch, which yes, I think is down inside the bellhousing - nice!

You all have an issue taking the key out I have the other issue where when I push the Key in (after Ive already put my foot on the clutch) it sometimes doesnt start the lights and ignition come on but its as if it doesnt register the clutch is pressed. Its the only thing I hate about this car my 7 year old can do it better than I can!

I have this same problem, I've had my b8 now for just over a month and occasionally I push the key in to start it and..... nothing! I wondered if it was something I was doing wrong, now it seems like I'm not the only one! Maybe I'll try and get it looked at under warranty.

I think the issue is Im putting my foot on the clutch too soon before the key is registered so it doesnt activate the swtich whereever it is as the ignition is not on when I put my foot on the clutch?!

But saying that there have been times where I have put my foot on the clutch and then put the key in and its started think I must be heavy handed in one way or the other but will see how i get on, its going in on the 17th for some rattles so I could get them to look at it then if I feel its too much of an issue.

Mine did this a few times when I first got it, lightened the load by removing extra keys from set and been totally fine since.

Typically, I will have the clutch pedal down to the floor before pressing the key to start - though as has been said already, I will have put the key in first.

Really, in my experience, all my issues have been down, I hope, to me simply not pressing the clutch down fully - as this is the first car that needed me to use the clutch pedal in that way!