Audi A4 B8 Door Warning Light and Puddle Light retro fit

pns2007

Moonstone Grey
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
This is a guide I have prepared after successfully fitting the red door warning lights and white puddle lights to my 2010 Audi A4 B8. It is intended as a guide only and if followed I would like to absolve myself from any responsibility should you damage your own car !

You will need the following parts per door:-

1 red door warning light part no - 6YO 947 411 £8.28 EACH
1 white door warning light part no - 4BO 947 415 A £6.95 EACH
2 connectors for the door warning lights part no - 893 971 632 £1.69 EACH

repair wires - U000 979 133 E (J30601 wires) £1.90 EACH x2
U000 979 009 (J30601 wire) £1.40 EACH

(For info, the repair wires are about 30cm long and have a soldered terminal at each end. Cut them in half to get two! The end terminals are specially designed to fit into the electrical connectors and come in different sizes)

repair.jpg

You will also need some additional cable. I bought some thin wall cable from these guys - http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/thinwall.php and some cloth tape from the same company.

First things first, the door card needs to be removed (I'm working on the drivers door - the other doors are similar)

P1000728.jpg

Insert a screwdriver behind the aluminium trim and gently prise away until it clicks. Then more towards the door handle and gently prise the trim away further. You will need to slide the trim to the right to remove.

In all instances of removing trim (now and further in the guide) ensure that you protect it with cloth tape and wrap some around the screwdriver/s. Also ensure any paint work is also protected. (You have been warned!)

Next is to remove the lower door handle trim. Insert a small (ish) screwdriver into the whole underneath the lower door handle trim and pull towards you. This is the screwdriver in my left hand in the picture below

P1000748.jpg

I also used another screwdriver (in my right hand) and gently prised the trim out. Move left along the trim but be careful as the trim is quite delicate and could easily snap, the lower trim should just come away when you reach the end.

P1000747-1.jpg

Undo the 5 torx screws numbered 1-5 in the above photo. Next insert a large (ish) screwdriver in between the door and the door card at the point lettered A in the photo and lever the door card away. When this clip has come away use your hands to go along the bottom and left/right hand side of the door card and un clip all 7 clips. (You will see a picture of these later on in the guide)

Pull the bottom of the door away at an angle and then lift the door card away from the door. It will pivot along the window edge. The door card will then be attached to the door by the wiring loom and the door handle cable.

First unclip the door handle cable

P1000729.jpg

Prise the white clip out and push towards the chrome hook. Remember how this white clip came away for when you put it back together! Disconnect the chrome hook by rotating the door card and manipulating it away.

Next is the blue connector for the wiring loom

P1000730.jpg

Lift the purple clip away from its housing and the connector will come away

P1000731.jpg

The door card is then separated.

Place the door card upside down onto a work mate of other bench. Remove the red door reflector. The will be an indentation on the bottom of the door card which will need cutting to insert the white puddle light. I did this with a wood chisel
P1000732.jpg

Use the hole from the red reflector as a template. Better to make it too small (and then file) than too big so be careful.

You then need to prepare the wiring loom.

Insert the two larger yellow repair wires into the black connectors. When assembled cut the wires in half. There will be two wires coming from each light. One will be positive and one negative. Tape the two positive wires together and tape the two negative wires together as per the picture below

P1000733.jpg

Next take the smaller yellow repair wire and cut it in half. You will need to bridge the gap between the larger yellow repair wires with the smaller yellow repair wire with about 30 - 40 cm of the thinwall cable. Solder the wires together and insulate. Wrap the wires in cloth tape to give it that oem look. This needs to be done twice, one for the positive side and one for the negative side.

Insert the red light and white light into the door card and plug the black connectors into the lights (doesn't matter which)

P1000734.jpg

It will then look like this viewing it from the back of the door card

P1000736.jpg

We next need to look at connecting the wires into the blue plug referred to earlier

Insert a small screwdriver into the clip as shown below and the white block will slide out

P1000738.jpg

P1000739.jpg

The white block contains 32 pins. Insert one of the clips from the smaller yellow repair wires into the hole for pin 16 (this is the positive connection). The above photo shows this inserted as the far left wire in the white block. There are tiny numbers shown on the block for the location.

Pin 5 is a common negative terminal and will already contain a wire. Either splice into this wire or remove it like I did as there is more wire to play with and insert the other smaller yellow repair wire into this pin 5. You will then need to connect the wire you have just taken out and splice it into the yellow repair wire. (Hope that makes sense).

Insert the white block back into the blue connector and use a small nylon cable tie to secure all the wires to the connector and tape the wires together with the cloth tape

P1000745.jpg

Place the felt padding back onto the door
P1000746.jpg

In the above photo you will see the 7 door clips. The are the small white sphere type things with a black dot in them.(technical term!)

Refit the door card in the opposite way it came off. Start with the wiring loom first, then the door handle cable and then offer the top of door card up to the top ot the door along the window edge and lower it and align the 7 door clips with their respective holes. Push home and then screw in the 5 torx screws.

You will then need VDS to code the lights to the car. I can't at this stage remember the modules but go into the modules for front left and front right doors and its there. Any questions on this and i'll dig out my cable and do some screen shots.

The front passenger door is exactly the same as this.

The rear doors are different in that instead of a 32 pin blue plug, its a 16 pin black plug. The positive connection is pin 12 and the negative connection is pin 13.

At the time of doing this there was no coding in VDS to code in the rear door lights. By a process of elimination the coding was worked out in this thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...-light-retro-fit-and-puddle-light-information

Any questions or comments please let me know.

I have also successfully fitted the front and rear footwell lights and have just ordered the door handle illumination lights. I'll do a write up for the door handle lights as I do it. The footwell lights are done and were quite fiddly to do especially plugging into the central electronic module. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding it though.

Cheers

Neil

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldeano2, AndreBerty, Joaquim Nunes and 7 others
Thanks for the super guide.. I will surely try this.
Just waiting for your writeup on the foot lights so i can do it all in once!

Very cool guide!!

I'll get round to doing a write up soon. I've finished the fitting its just a case of dismantling my car and taking pictures!

You no need to wait to do both together, they are both independant of each other so no time will be wasted.

Thanks for your kind comments

Neil

I know this is an old thread but I just thought I would put an update in on parts pricing ....

1 red door warning light part no - 6YO 947 411 �11.20 EACH
1 white door warning light part no - 4BO 947 415 A �9.12 EACH
2 connectors for the door warning lights part no - 893 971 632 �2.39EACH

repair wires - U000 979 133 E (J30601 wires) �2.35 EACH x2

So doing this in 2010 would have cost £90 for parts from Audi and if you do this today it will cost £150 !!!

Reactions: Eldeano2, Drew Baby and Liquidfusion-S3
I would also like to point out that forum member t8ups can make the loom for each door ready to plug and play so no messing with wire cutting and conections :)

Reactions: Eldeano2 and Liquidfusion-S3
He did he normally charges £17:50 per loom and you need 4 plus postage and then you also need to buy 4 x red warning lights and 4 x white puddle lights.

Mine are on there way so I will post photos of the looms and some detail of how I fit them, I am hoping to do this in a week or so :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldeano2
Has anyone else done this on a B8 facelift ? I have fitted the loomes and lights but when looking at the rear doors the power block already has a cable going to Pin 13 ??

Do i just piggy back onto that or is this not correct for the facelift ?

Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks for the PM Tups ... I have completed the wireing now and i will be putting the door pannels back on later today and then setting up with VCDS :)

Hi, if anyone is interested, I can supply the lights.

PM me for more info.

Reactions: Eldeano2
Hi guys just wanted to ask is there anyone who is able to suppy and fit the footwell lights, warning lights and also puddle lights for the front and back for an audi a4 b8 (2009). If someone can get back to me with a price and I'll be more than happy to come out to you to get this done. You may contact me directly on 07732522711 or by email on m4_15m4@hotmail.com. Thanks

Hi can anybody help please I have wired my door/puddle lights up on a audi a4 b8 but having trouble with the VCDS got the front ones to work but no luck on the rear ones :-( anybody got the codes for the rear doors !!!!!! the front door code was changed. The 4th digit was changed from 1 to C ie; 01 11 02 20 40 01 44 00 04
01 1C 02 20 40 01 44 00 04 any help would be appreciated thank you David

Anyone retrofitted these puddle lights in the mirrors? I had something similar on another car and they were really useful

Hello. I just finished doing the door puddle/warning lights + illuminated door handles on my 2012 a4 b8 facelift avant. I could not do the ambiante door pocket lighting as my door modules only have the half shaded box and no pin 3 (rear door 16 pin) or pin 8 (front door 32 pin) in the modules.

D J Robo, did you connect your rear light into the right pins?

Mines are as stated:

-front modules 32 pin:
Pin 3, door illuminated handles +12v
Pin 16, puddle/warning lights +12v
Pin 8, ambiante lighting +12v (N/A)
Pin 5, earth, just solder lights earth together on this brown wire.

-rear modules 16 pin:
Pin 1, illuminated door handles +12v
Pin 3, ambiante lighting +12v (N/A)
Pin 12, warning/puddle light +12v
Pin 13, earth, just solder together lights earth on this brown wire.

Then just go into each door controler with VCDS and check the tick box for whatever lights you added to your car.

For the door handles i used 1 bright red 12v 5mm LED for each door handles. I drilled on the top of the handles where the original oem would be. Just sandpaper the led to diffuse the light. It looks great at night. I hope this will help you.

This is a guide I have prepared after successfully fitting the red door warning lights and white puddle lights to my 2010 Audi A4 B8. It is intended as a guide only and if followed I would like to absolve myself from any responsibility should you damage your own car !

You will need the following parts per door:-

1 red door warning light part no - 6YO 947 411 £8.28 EACH
1 white door warning light part no - 4BO 947 415 A £6.95 EACH
2 connectors for the door warning lights part no - 893 971 632 £1.69 EACH

repair wires - U000 979 133 E (J30601 wires) £1.90 EACH x2
U000 979 009 (J30601 wire) £1.40 EACH

(For info, the repair wires are about 30cm long and have a soldered terminal at each end. Cut them in half to get two! The end terminals are specially designed to fit into the electrical connectors and come in different sizes)

repair.jpg

You will also need some additional cable. I bought some thin wall cable from these guys - http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/thinwall.php and some cloth tape from the same company.

First things first, the door card needs to be removed (I'm working on the drivers door - the other doors are similar)

P1000728.jpg

Insert a screwdriver behind the aluminium trim and gently prise away until it clicks. Then more towards the door handle and gently prise the trim away further. You will need to slide the trim to the right to remove.

In all instances of removing trim (now and further in the guide) ensure that you protect it with cloth tape and wrap some around the screwdriver/s. Also ensure any paint work is also protected. (You have been warned!)

Next is to remove the lower door handle trim. Insert a small (ish) screwdriver into the whole underneath the lower door handle trim and pull towards you. This is the screwdriver in my left hand in the picture below

P1000748.jpg

I also used another screwdriver (in my right hand) and gently prised the trim out. Move left along the trim but be careful as the trim is quite delicate and could easily snap, the lower trim should just come away when you reach the end.

P1000747-1.jpg

Undo the 5 torx screws numbered 1-5 in the above photo. Next insert a large (ish) screwdriver in between the door and the door card at the point lettered A in the photo and lever the door card away. When this clip has come away use your hands to go along the bottom and left/right hand side of the door card and un clip all 7 clips. (You will see a picture of these later on in the guide)

Pull the bottom of the door away at an angle and then lift the door card away from the door. It will pivot along the window edge. The door card will then be attached to the door by the wiring loom and the door handle cable.

First unclip the door handle cable

P1000729.jpg

Prise the white clip out and push towards the chrome hook. Remember how this white clip came away for when you put it back together! Disconnect the chrome hook by rotating the door card and manipulating it away.

Next is the blue connector for the wiring loom

P1000730.jpg

Lift the purple clip away from its housing and the connector will come away

P1000731.jpg

The door card is then separated.

Place the door card upside down onto a work mate of other bench. Remove the red door reflector. The will be an indentation on the bottom of the door card which will need cutting to insert the white puddle light. I did this with a wood chisel
P1000732.jpg

Use the hole from the red reflector as a template. Better to make it too small (and then file) than too big so be careful.

You then need to prepare the wiring loom.

Insert the two larger yellow repair wires into the black connectors. When assembled cut the wires in half. There will be two wires coming from each light. One will be positive and one negative. Tape the two positive wires together and tape the two negative wires together as per the picture below

P1000733.jpg

Next take the smaller yellow repair wire and cut it in half. You will need to bridge the gap between the larger yellow repair wires with the smaller yellow repair wire with about 30 - 40 cm of the thinwall cable. Solder the wires together and insulate. Wrap the wires in cloth tape to give it that oem look. This needs to be done twice, one for the positive side and one for the negative side.

Insert the red light and white light into the door card and plug the black connectors into the lights (doesn't matter which)

P1000734.jpg

It will then look like this viewing it from the back of the door card

P1000736.jpg

We next need to look at connecting the wires into the blue plug referred to earlier

Insert a small screwdriver into the clip as shown below and the white block will slide out

P1000738.jpg

P1000739.jpg

The white block contains 32 pins. Insert one of the clips from the smaller yellow repair wires into the hole for pin 16 (this is the positive connection). The above photo shows this inserted as the far left wire in the white block. There are tiny numbers shown on the block for the location.

Pin 5 is a common negative terminal and will already contain a wire. Either splice into this wire or remove it like I did as there is more wire to play with and insert the other smaller yellow repair wire into this pin 5. You will then need to connect the wire you have just taken out and splice it into the yellow repair wire. (Hope that makes sense).

Insert the white block back into the blue connector and use a small nylon cable tie to secure all the wires to the connector and tape the wires together with the cloth tape

P1000745.jpg

Place the felt padding back onto the door
P1000746.jpg

In the above photo you will see the 7 door clips. The are the small white sphere type things with a black dot in them.(technical term!)

Refit the door card in the opposite way it came off. Start with the wiring loom first, then the door handle cable and then offer the top of door card up to the top ot the door along the window edge and lower it and align the 7 door clips with their respective holes. Push home and then screw in the 5 torx screws.

You will then need VDS to code the lights to the car. I can't at this stage remember the modules but go into the modules for front left and front right doors and its there. Any questions on this and i'll dig out my cable and do some screen shots.

The front passenger door is exactly the same as this.

The rear doors are different in that instead of a 32 pin blue plug, its a 16 pin black plug. The positive connection is pin 12 and the negative connection is pin 13.

At the time of doing this there was no coding in VDS to code in the rear door lights. By a process of elimination the coding was worked out in this thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...-light-retro-fit-and-puddle-light-information

Any questions or comments please let me know.

I have also successfully fitted the front and rear footwell lights and have just ordered the door handle illumination lights. I'll do a write up for the door handle lights as I do it. The footwell lights are done and were quite fiddly to do especially plugging into the central electronic module. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding it though.

Cheers

Neil
Hi I want to ask how can i coding the fornt left and right dor lights because I installed both I can't coding? I got audi a4 b8 2009 143 bhp 2.0 tdi can you send me some pictures with the vcds code please?

Here is my door coding for my 2012 b8 avant facelift:

You must have an old vagcom, as my coding was just a matter of ticking boxes...
20170421 201809 1328x747 20170421 201809 1328x747 20170421 201819 1328x747 20170421 201728 1328x747 20170421 201740 1328x747 20170421 201653 1328x747 20170421 201703 1328x747 20170421 201554 1328x747 20170421 201625 1328x747

Thats right, but it is newer than my car, so i am happy with it.

Hi i just want to ask anybody can put some pictures of audi b8 rear doors lights installation because I don't know where is going the +wire and the code as well please

Hi i just want to ask anybody can put some pictures of audi b8 rear doors lights installation because I don't know where is going the +wire and the code as well please

There are DIY threads on the Internet if you spend 5 minutes on google. They aren't hard to find.

Hi guys

Since I'm about to take my doors apart to retrofit electric mirrors I also bought (and just received) the following kit from aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8pc...32762167107.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.svq856

I'm bit lost as to how to install it on a my 2013 B8.5 (F/L) and it looks like this post might just be my salvation but can't see pns2007's pics...
Anyone got a copy of the original post (maybe having saved it to pdf) by any chance?

Thanks in advance!

Brice

All done now!
Can't activate the warning lights on the rear doors though...
Anyone came across the same pb? I activate Byte1 Bit2 then exit and do it! but despite confirming that it saved the new coding it reverts back to the original one...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi can anybody help please I have wired my door/puddle lights up on a audi a4 b8 but having trouble with the VCDS got the front ones to work but no luck on the rear ones :-( anybody got the codes for the rear doors !!!!!! the front door code was changed. The 4th digit was changed from 1 to C ie; 01 11 02 20 40 01 44 00 04
01 1C 02 20 40 01 44 00 04 any help would be appreciated thank you David
Hi D J Robo

Did you ever find what the issue was with the rear doors? Looks like I reached the same dead end...

was wondering has anyone any recent picture of the puddle lights wiring as PNS2007 pictures cant be viewed anymore

thanks

Hi D J Robo

Did you ever find what the issue was with the rear doors? Looks like I reached the same dead end...

Asked a technician while in Audi last week... they confirmed that the control modules so not need to be changed (only the front ones)and that it was a coding matter. Still, they weren't able to activate the rear courtesy lights either. Very frustrating indeed...

How comes i cant see the pictures? great write up but pictures would be handy before i tackle this.

Upload 2017 12 18 19 56 7

Asked a technician while in Audi last week... they confirmed that the control modules so not need to be changed (only the front ones)and that it was a coding matter. Still, they weren't able to activate the rear courtesy lights either. Very frustrating indeed...

Sorted!!! Turns out my VCDS cable was rubbish and I never managed to validate the long coding changes...
New/updated one did the trick et voilà!!!
6a219e91e482c22554938509c21ae5f0.jpg

How comes i cant see the pictures? great write up but pictures would be handy before i tackle this.

View attachment 144222
@Yaxman, for many years, Audi-sport members hosted their photos on Photobucket, and then added the hosting link to the forum post. Sadly, Photobucket changed its rules this year and decided to charge people $500 a time for third-party hosting. Existing hosting links were disabled leaving hundreds upon hundreds on long-standing threads missing their pictures. Few of us have had the time or inclination to go back and re-host them.

Does anyone have a picture of the loom on the doors as mine doesn’t have the lights but I really want them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For anyone having issues with the rear footwell lights, only certain BCM1 modules are pinned for the rear lights in the correct plug. So even though the pin is fitted into the right plug (the black 17 pin plug) the pin doesn't exist on the BCM1 board so won't work.

This is for those having error codes on VCDS when trying to activate them.

Only way around this I can find so far besides replacing the BCM1 module is to run all 4 footwell lights from the 32pin plug that the fronts connect to. I'd only suggest doing this if you plan on fitting LED units for the lights.

Hi
Any chance of reuploading the pics?
Would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Reactions: Ironwin and audib82013