Media Card Reader – Maximum Card Size

Gordon Masson

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I have a question about the Media SD card reader in my 2009 A4 Quatro S Line

Can you tell me if this reader only works with SD cards rather than SDHC cards?

Is there a limit to the size of card that the system will decode.

I tried putting an 8Gb card in and it couldn’t see it so I am guessing here that it can only read basic SD cards up to 2Gb?

Seems a pity if that’s the case that they have built the car with an excellent option built in with regards to playing music from an SD card but they have used out of date technology and not incorporated an SDHC card reader.

Thanks

Gordon

There was achange from SD to SDHC during 2009. My Sept 1st '09 delivery of a MY2010 car has SDHC.

"I think" there's three possibilities actually

[1] Hardware that is only SD
[2] Hardware that is SD but can support SDHC when the software is dated
[3] Hardware that is SDHC.

TBH I'm not 100% about [2] but I think a few people had success.

Hmmnn.Ive tried a 16gb usb stick in my 2009, and its fine.Havent tried a sdhc yet, but i know it didnt recognise a 320gb portable hard drive.Thats a shame cos i like to take everything with me, even though its a ****** to navigate.

Hi Scotty
Is there an update for the car that will alow you to use SDHC then?

John
I didnt know there was a USB slot??
Where do you access that then?

I use an 8GB SDHC card in mine and it words fine. I also have the AMI interface which you can use to connect Ipod or USB (with the correct cable)

Guys,

Sorry to sound dull, but before I remove it from the sealed packaging, I would just like to double check. I have just bought a 16GB SDHC card for my Sept 09 (2010 model) A4...will it work?

Cheers

Can't wait. It has been just under a year since I sold the last one. The Pug has and continues to serve us well, but as a family of four it will be nice to have some creature comforts and more space!

Last edited:
It's very nice. I can't believe how much more advanced the computer system is and the control I have, compared to the last car; to the point that I can even adjust the headlights for right hand lane driving, which will come in handy for France:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
This is software related.

if your stereo/ MMI is version SW0301 or above (apparently from sept 2009), SDHC cards above 4GB will work (up to 32GB I understand).
Your Audi dealer should be able to do this.
I have read elsewhere that the SVM code (i am not sure what that actually is!, but is related to a problem with teh radio reception)for Audi maintenance shop upgrade to Radio Concert (Symphony too maybe?) upgrade to 0310 SW and SDHC compatibility is:
SVM: B856A001

One quick warning, I purchased a cheap 16gb card on e-bay which was corrupted and did not work, quite a few about I understand

Last edited:
I find my 16GB great. In fact I have only just used the cd player since I bought the car because I didn't have time to copy it to the card. The only thing I find is that albums that are gapless, has a slight gap!, but it doesn't bother me that much.

I love mine too, I was originally looking at buying an Ipod connector (the car didn't have the inbuilt AMI), and read somewhere that it would cost £150, or you could buy a 16gb card for £16....no brainer really! Especially as I wanted to control it through the stereo. Don''t have to worry about hooking it up every time etc.

Can confirm my B8 march 2009 now reads sdhc cards ,were it previously didn't.

Had software update done at dealers from 0210 to 0310 takes abut a hour to upload (***) had to have it done twice as first time they put 0210 again doh!

For everyones information, Argos are doing 16gb sdhc cards from San disk for 25 quid. Good deal!