Connections for the shark fin antenna?

Gordon Masson

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m new here so first of all hello to everyone.

Secondly I have a couple of questions about my 2009 A4 Quatro (S Line, diesel)

In a previous car I had a flip down lid on the dash that hid my GPS receiver which was great but there isn’t an option to do anything like that on the A4… unless any of you have done any mods that look good.
Ideally what I want is to have the GPS in view when you need it and powering up when you turn on the ignition but not having to disconnect it every time you leave the car, etc etc.

Most of the time the GPS (Garmin) only pings at me with the speed camera warnings and subconsciously it makes me slow down a bit for them so I don’t necessarily need to see it so the pull down flap in the old car was great.

If I can use the connections in the centre console to the shark fin antenna… which I believe is a combined GPS / Phone antenna (?) then I will just leave the GPS in the centre console for the most part and mount it on the dash for long journeys.

Does anyone know how to connect up to the connector in the centre console and what the pin outs for it are?
Is there some kind of plug that will clamp over it?
The antenna is a factory fit option, is it a generic antenna that will work with any GPS?

One other thing is that I notice the gear change into first is quite notchy … is this what you would expect on a diesel A4 Quatro?

Thanks for your help

Gordon

Hi Gordon.Cant help with the antennae issue, but I can with the gearbox.Its quite simple.The manual gearbox in the B8 is shyte.Its differant from the B7.And the notchiness is a 'characteristic) of the box.My first is notchy, second is notchy and most times esp when cold cant select it.Ive had a new 2nd gear synchro, and two oil chaanges but to no avail.Ive also had other B8s on loan whilst my lemon is at the dealers....and they are the same!Notchy.It must be a design fault that Audi wont admit.I hate it and wish id had the auto.Too late for me tho.I also know that on an american forum they suffer too.I guess its hit and miss whether you get a notchy or a slightly notchy box.

I'm not sure about the B8 but AFAIK the sharkfin's have different configurations dependant on vehicle spec, so you may find there is no GPS output in there only the ariel for the phone prep!