Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Fuel figures S4

  1. #1
    Just Plain Old's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,257

    Fuel figures S4

    As above,

    I was hoping for some improvement over the V8, but the 3L seems worse....... average is 16MPG

    However, I do most of the time drive drive in the manual mode (because it's more fun), so I tried the fully automatic and got 22MPG over the same route.........

    I guess that's the answer,,, if you're bothered about fuel consumption!

    Also, on possibly the same subject, is it me or does the first quarter of the fuel gauge drop like I stone.......?? I swear you can visibly watch it go down....!!!
    In my personal opinion

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Trev241's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    229
    I have the manual version, driving at about 60mph on local A roads I can get around 30mpg.
    Driving a bit quicker with the odd overtaking blast I get around 25/26 mpg, must admit I have not yet used the power to the full but that is about to change as I have now passed the 1000 mile mark.

    Yes the first quarter tank does drop like a stone must be the shape.
    Trev

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10
    S Tronic, in 'comfort' setting - DIS is showing an average of 28mpg after around 7k miles.

    That is mainly from a mix of A roads and motorways.

    ....But, the DIS does seem to overestimate mpg by 10-15%

    OP - are you sure your mpg units are in imperial mpg and not US mpg? (You've probably checked but thought I'd mention just in case.)

  5. #4
    Just Plain Old's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,257
    Well I'm glad about the 1st quarter tank bit....I was wondering if I had a leaking fuel tank,,, but I don't think so!!

    Does driving in comfort mode improve MPG..?

    I drive mostly on dynamic or individual, using the paddles and gear stick.

    Sadly, I am looking at the MPG figure........
    In my personal opinion

  6. #5
    Reverse

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    235
    I note comfort uses 7th gear whereas dynamic doesn't (on the short blasts i did the other day)
    Arrived - Audi S4 S-Tronic Avant in Sepang Blue -
    Car History
    07 S3, 96 Rover 214 (interim special), 05 Impreza STi PPP, 04 BMW 330D, 03 Impreza STi PPP, 03 Evolution FQ330, 02 Impreza STi, 01 Impreza WRX, 00 Leon Cupra, 98 Astra Sri, 97 Megane RT, 96 Bravo SX, 93 309 Gld, 90 AX GT, 89 309 SRi, 71 Mini, 85 Samba, 86 Metro 1.0, 85 MG Metro Turbo, 81 Metro 1.3 (My first car )

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10
    I haven't done too much driving in dynamic yet - will keep my eye open regarding the lack of 7th.

    In comfort it seems to change up earlier, keeping the revs low - should help economy. (Downside is that you hear even less of the V6).

    At the moment I'm trying a few tanks of 99 RON (V-max) to see if economy is any better than standard unleaded. So far it seems to be pretty similar.

  8. #7
    scoTTy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I note comfort uses 7th gear whereas dynamic doesn't (on the short blasts i did the other day)
    I bet dynamic does use 7th gear ...... when you're at an appropriate speed for it
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

  9. #8
    Just Plain Old's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I note comfort uses 7th gear whereas dynamic doesn't (on the short blasts i did the other day)
    It does if you use it in manual mode...

    I don't think there is a 7th in sport mode scotty,,, but now you've said that I'll try and test the theory.........!!

    What MPG are you getting Matt?
    In my personal opinion

  10. #9
    Reverse

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    235
    20 ish :|
    Arrived - Audi S4 S-Tronic Avant in Sepang Blue -
    Car History
    07 S3, 96 Rover 214 (interim special), 05 Impreza STi PPP, 04 BMW 330D, 03 Impreza STi PPP, 03 Evolution FQ330, 02 Impreza STi, 01 Impreza WRX, 00 Leon Cupra, 98 Astra Sri, 97 Megane RT, 96 Bravo SX, 93 309 Gld, 90 AX GT, 89 309 SRi, 71 Mini, 85 Samba, 86 Metro 1.0, 85 MG Metro Turbo, 81 Metro 1.3 (My first car )

  11. #10
    scoTTy's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Old View Post
    It does if you use it in manual mode...

    I don't think there is a 7th in sport mode scotty,,, but now you've said that I'll try and test the theory.........!!

    What MPG are you getting Matt?
    You may have to hit 140-150ish. In my S4 if you was driving it "correctly" then 6th gear would be needed from about 140-145mph.

    Be careful !!

    You could be right though. They might have it gear so it'll hit vmax in 6th gear rather than 7th.

    I guess there is only one way to find out.
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

  12. #11
    S4

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    36
    1st tank - 17.7mpg
    2nd tank - 20.1mpg

    Probably 60% A road, 40% motorway, and a few WOT on the second tank, to see what it could do.
    Last edited by yargnat; 22nd March 2010 at 13:37.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    254
    My car is manual and i have to admit that i averaged about 24 (according to the DIS) on the first tank. The second tank is getting better (not much) regularly hitting 25, LOL.

    I offset this slightly lower return with the fact that she will run 95 ron, and happily. I was also surprised by how small the tank is, and yes my gauge drops like a stone over the first quatar.

    Ow and i am currently driving like miss daisy, whilst she runs in

  14. #13
    Trev241's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    My car is manual and i have to admit that i averaged about 24 (according to the DIS) on the first tank. The second tank is getting better (not much) regularly hitting 25, LOL.

    I offset this slightly lower return with the fact that she will run 95 ron, and happily. I was also surprised by how small the tank is, and yes my gauge drops like a stone over the first quatar.

    Ow and i am currently driving like miss daisy, whilst she runs in
    I have been running on v power but the way prices are going me thinks it's about time to go onto 95, I wonder how many S4 owners are using 95 ?
    Trev

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    254
    Most i would guess The boxster needed it, and you could tell when it wasnt in. IMO the S4 is set up to run on it, so why pay more??....

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4
    I'm getting really exited now, have been driving in Comfort (Automatic) for past three weeks, 5600 miles on clock and have watched mpg go from 17.2 to 17.6 on DIS. By my calculations, I should hit mid twenties by Spring 2011. Hope for all !!

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    254
    You wouldnt have been towing a caravan for the last 5600 miles have you?

    17.6mpg you must enjoy a spirited drive? My understanding of comfort is that it changes gear sooner and relaxes the throttle responce slightly there by reducing the initial influx of fuel into the cylinder, i wouldnt think it makes that much difference unless you are really giving it some.

    I have just hit 1000 miles and regularly get 24-25 mpg on the way to work. I no longer drive like Miss Daisy either! A little Clio pulled out in front of me today whilst i was doing 50 up a hill, i didnt slow until i was very close to him, he paniced and pulled over and out of my way, LOL. I felt bad after..................for about a second

  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
    You wouldnt have been towing a caravan for the last 5600 miles have you?

    17.6mpg you must enjoy a spirited drive? My understanding of comfort is that it changes gear sooner and relaxes the throttle responce slightly there by reducing the initial influx of fuel into the cylinder, i wouldnt think it makes that much difference unless you are really giving it some.

    I have just hit 1000 miles and regularly get 24-25 mpg on the way to work. I no longer drive like Miss Daisy either! A little Clio pulled out in front of me today whilst i was doing 50 up a hill, i didnt slow until i was very close to him, he paniced and pulled over and out of my way, LOL. I felt bad after..................for about a second
    Love that, "a spirited drive" - the traffic police were impressed with the handling of the S4 and of course the drivers ability also.

  19. #18
    S4

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    36
    personally, I think it'll be hard to hit audi's mpg figures, as I think they test on a rolling road, so there are no factors such as wind, or traffic!
    If I can get 250 miles out of a tank, then I am happy. So far, have managed 240, which was around 20mpg. Only just 1000 miles in my S4 too.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO