AH FabricationsBadger5

Thread: S-Line Xenons

3rd Gear

Status

S-Line Xenons

I've been taking a detour to work and back the past few mornings and evenings and noticed that as I drive down a track with the odd pot hole etc that the beam from the headlights seem to flicker slighlty.

Is this normal for xenons? This is the first car I've had with them fitted and there is definately a flicker of the bulb ( as though the bulb vibrates a bit) if you know what I mean

Thanks
    2013 A5 2.0 TDI (177) Black Edition

[s]2012 A1 1.4TFSI (185ps) Black Edition[s]

[s]MY2010 A4 1.8T (160) S-Line executive in brilliant Red[/s]

[s]2008 A3 TDI S-Line Cabriolet 8P3[/s]

A4 (B8) Door warning light and Glovebox retrofits. A1 Heated Mirrors Retrofit

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Is it a flicker or just the fact that you really notice it? Not wishing to insult you honest

With Xenons the light cut off is really sharp and hence any movement is noticed much more than on halogens with the softer edges.

I've not had any such issues of flickering on mine.
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

Reverse Gear

Status
    No flickering on mine either but the beam does seem to go up and down with any undulations in the road surface as the xenons are so bright.

3rd Gear

Status
    Might just be that then! As I said these are the first xenon lights I've had on any of my cars and I must say they are a hell of a lot better than halogens.

thanks for your replies

S4

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pns2007 View Post
    I've been taking a detour to work and back the past few mornings and evenings and noticed that as I drive down a track with the odd pot hole etc that the beam from the headlights seem to flicker slighlty.

Is this normal for xenons? This is the first car I've had with them fitted and there is definately a flicker of the bulb ( as though the bulb vibrates a bit) if you know what I mean

Thanks
    Think this is normal. I've seen this on different Xenon equipped car's.

6th Gear

Status
    Mine did the same.Absolutely normal.I whinged to my dealer, and he stated that it was normal.Two weeks later I get a phone call from them saying my new lights were in!!!They stated that theyd reported it to audi, and audi wanted to check them out, so new ones were fitted(there was nowt wrong with the originals).Shame i did cos i swear the old ones were brighter.But the new ones still flicker over bumps.Dont worry about it.I do notice however that they steam up.....and this is not covered by warranty....
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Neutral

Status
    Ditto I have it very slightly on mine and wifeys ED30 GTI is the same
    HIS - B8 A4 2.0TDI 143PS Multi Exec S-Line Saloon.....Lovin' Lava, 19's, MMI & lots more
    TOY - 2001 Westfield 2.1 SEW,172bhp gocart.
    HERS - Edition 30 Golf GTI, 3dr, Steel Grey, Xenons, Comfort Pack & lots more...

3rd Gear

Status
    Ah right! Thats interesting. I'm not too bothered by the 'flickering' was just concerned that it might decrease the life of the bulb or cause it to blow. If the car has to go in for anything I'll mention it just as a precaution.

Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    I think they constantly auto-adjust level to avoid blinding oncoming traffic...at least they do on my S3
    S3 Sportback DSG in Sprint Blue with mag ride, interior lights, Bose, parking sensors.

and...

99 TT Roadster

Neutral

Status
    I have a 2006 B7 with factory Xenons and they definitely flicker over pot holes as if the lamps themselves are loose in the mountings but both lamp units and wiring / bulbs look OK , its hard to imagine that the self levelling could act so quickly ?
    Ian

Neutral

Status
    I've noticed that when the headlamps first switch on, you can see the beam pattern move up, then down. Is this the self-levelling system at work?

6th Gear

Status
    Yep - I believe it's a system check and maybe calibration. On mine they also do the left / right check for the adaptive movement.

The up/down is more than self levelling. The lights adjust up/down depending on speed too. I think that's all B8's and not just those with adaptive.
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have had Xenons on three other cars 2 Audi A4 & A3 and a RS Clio they all flicker on bumps. I find it a help and a hindrance some people move out they way because they think you have flashed them other pull out for the same reason. Still fantastic lights!