Which diesel engine 143 or 170?

TreborA4

Reaction score
I recently joined this spendid forum!
I am very likely to choose an A4 avant Executive S Line as my next car.
I can't decide between 143 or 170 diesel engine. :uhm:
Any thoughts?
Thanks...TreborA4

Hi Trebor,
I have a 2009 a4 170 tdi sline avant fwd ,having had a 140 b7 equiv.If i could order it again, i would definately have the 140 quattro.The 170 isnt that much quicker and is only safely chippable to about 200/210 bhp.The 140 will easily go to 190 for about 400 squids...thats a saving of 600 squids as the 170 is 1000 dearer.Dont be tempted by having the 19" wheels, as you can only have the 20mm lowered sport suspension as opposed to 18" with 30mm sline suspension.The differance is massive...20mm rides like a shopping trolley.The 170 is also pretty thirsty....dont believe the figures...im only getting 33-35 mixed and driving average, not booting it.Oh, and dont forget it must be phantom, with privacy and black optics.Not that im biased though!!!

Also, the premium to upgrade from S-Line to Exec S-Line on a 170 is much more than on a 143 ;)

I have a 143 multitronic on order......

Bluefin will give a healthy power increase after a few 000's.

ta

Thanks for the comments.

Does anyone have, or know where to find performance figures for the 143 and 170.
Audi brochure and website just quote 0-62mph.
I am intersted in, say, 50-70mph figures.
Car will be company car so I wil not be able to have it "chipped".

Thanks Trebor

had a 143 a few months back while my mapped 170 b7 was in for a service and i do think my car was quite a bit sharper but as allready said the 143 map's really well.if i was doing it again i think i'd go for the 143 with a bit more spec rather than the 170

If its a company car the 143 is a no brainer from a tax point of view. I was gutted as the 170 was released just after I ordered my 143. When I drove the two back to back I was reassured that the 143 was the right choice for me running up and down motorways.

I have had my 143PS since Monday and it is entertaining.

Yep...its no where near the pace of Wifey's ED30 GTI, but using the flappy paddles for knocking it up and down its great.

Leave in 'D' and poddles around using little more than 2k rpm.

1/2 way through the first tank and the DIS is showning 39.4 ave mpg which is good as I don't how to drive the thing yet and have been teddying it about.

Coming from a 140PS S-line B7 this is a different kettle of fish all together and a massive leap in the right direction.

ta

I have a A4 B8 2.0 TDI 170 cv and I'm very happy with it.

I tried the 143 cv, and since I'm not going to chip my car the option for me was clear . . .

I've got the 143 engine in my Exeo, and have to say that it's not that far behind the 170 that I test-drove back to back at the dealers. The 170 is definitely not worth the extra you pay for the priviledge!

Mine's got less than 1000miles on the clock at present, and I've managed a very respectable 49.1mpg on a 500mile round trip to Devon last weekend, and that was fully laden with family and luggage, and cruising at about 75-80.

Hopefully the MPG will only inprove as the engine beds in further.

I'm looking to buy a second hand a4 b8 2.0 tdi.Before reading this thread i was going for the 170 hp version.Now i'm confused.Why does the 170 not have the multitronic option?According to Audi data fuel consumption is not that different between the 2 variants.I was thinking to tune it after purchase.I was thinking about remap and full exhaust and maybe a large fmic.What do you think?

P.S. I'm going to drop in the devilsown water-alcohol injection from my current car too.

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a second hand a4 b8 2.0 tdi.Before reading this thread i was going for the 170 hp version.Now i'm confused.Why does the 170 not have the multitronic option?According to Audi data fuel consumption is not that different between the 2 variants.I was thinking to tune it after purchase.I was thinking about remap and full exhaust and maybe a large fmic.What do you think?

P.S. I'm going to drop in the devilsown water-alcohol injection from my current car too.

Because of the torque ?