New A4 Avant

daveyjp

Reaction score
I currently have one of these as a courtesy car - 2.0TDi manual, done 1500 miles. 225-50-17 Bridgestone Potenza tyres fitted. I don't know which model spec it is.

All in all it's a good car, CR engine a vast improvement over the PD (very quiet, but easy to stall). What I have noticed is quite heavy steering and it is really twitchy on uneven surfaces. It really tramlines and pulls alarmingly over the slightest imperfection, kicking the steering wheel from the hands.

These tyres are also not too good on damp surfaces. Is the bad handling purely down to the tyres or the set up of the suspension?

This is the second time I've had this car. The first time I liked it and was thinking of replacing my A3 with one, but the handling during this second spell of driving it has really put me off.

I have Potenzas on the rear of my cossie, handle the power ok and give a bit of warning before they let go.
I did have them on the front as well but it oversteered like crazy and made the handling really twitchy. I have Toyo Proxies on the front now.

So yep, probably the tyres :yes: