Volks AutosChris Nott
    Administrator

Status

Audi goes with new compressor and trick diff for new S4

Hi folks,

We received information today regarding the new S4, and a couple of things jumped off the page at me which seemed pretty interesting...

The N/A 4.2L V8 lump is being replaced by a forced-induction V6 unit, but this time Audi have decided to use a supercharger, stating that apparently it's more effective than even two turbochargers.

There's an extension to the quattro system too - of course we all know that they're using a 40/60 (F/R) split to give a bit more of a lively drive these days, but they've developed an 'active sport differential' for the new S4 which can vary torque between the rear wheels to give the outside wheel a bigger shove in the bends. That coupled with the drive select system which allows you to sharpen up engine, suspension and steering characteristics on-the-fly should make for a very interesting drive...

Anyway, I posted the full press release here - but I just tought I'd drop the two juiciest bits in the forum...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> A couple of photos here too, there are technical difficulties with pictures at the front page which are being worked-on at the moment...

The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-...-live/1071378/

Pics of the car in the flesh. who's ordering one first?

6th Gear

Status
    I'd like to think there will be one on my shopping list in the not too distant future, however it will most likely be a few years old before I'll get my hands on one!

Neutral

Status

Drove New S4 last week

Standing in for Paul Harris, Editor of Audi Driver magazine, who was on holiday at the time, I spent a day driving the new S4 on the international press launch in Mallorca last Wednesday...

A very impressive combination, with superb throttle response almost irrespective of the gear (we drove both manual and S tronic versions) and a wet track test session allowed us to explore the Sport rear diff etc. The torque transfer to the outer rear wheel feels like mild oversteer at first until you get used to it. Very refined, too, with excellent combination of ride comfort and handling.

Full report in the December issue of Audi Driver mag (just missed deadline for the forthcoming Nov issue)

( Neil Birkitt )

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FactionOne View Post
    Hi folks,

The N/A 4.2L V8 lump is being replaced by a forced-induction V6 unit, but this time Audi have decided to use a supercharger, stating that apparently it's more effective than even two turbochargers.

There's an extension to the quattro system too - of course we all know that they're using a 40/60 (F/R) split to give a bit more of a lively drive these days, but they've developed an 'active sport differential' for the new S4 which can vary torque between the rear wheels to give the outside wheel a bigger shove in the bends. That coupled with the drive select system which allows you to sharpen up engine, suspension and steering characteristics on-the-fly should make for a very interesting drive...

Well welcome change to the engine cause I found my S4 to be very lacking interms of power/fun to drive, supercharger will definitely add some more spice huh, dont like the new seats I know its minor but they are horrible & same as the S6/RS6 arent they, they've got Coneheads on the top of them, lol, but this drive select system is this like the M button on the M5 where you press & changes all suspension etc or is it the I-Drive setup to change everything individually?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK