What are people 1st impressions?

arthurfuxake

Controversial & Contradictive
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Thought I'd get in 1st and see what people think of the new A4?
I haven't seen it in the flesh, but I'm not so keen on the looks from the pics I've seen.

Is it just me or does it look like a 5 series with an Audi nose stuck on the front?
Seems like it's lost it's clean lines, especially from the side.

very "BMW-ish" :

b8-a4-rendering.jpg

You can never decide until you see one on the road, or I cant anyway

Seen one in the flesh at the local dealer. Not keen on the arch lines that curve and don't like the dash either.

I'll reserve final judgement until I get to drive one and spend some more time with one.

I think it looks very good, a lot more appealing than the last facelift which I thought was obscene to start with but looks ok now. This new facelift looks good straight away.

Took the 2.0 TDi for a test drive yesterday. The handling was great and it had the sport suspension also. No real understeer from it. The engine has a nice sound. Much more refined than my 2.0 TDi Sportback. And soundproofing is better too but that's to be expected. The gear box felt a bit clunky at first, but I put that down to it being new and that. After 30 mins or so I felt more comfortable with it.

The car is not slow, but it's not a rocket either. I had some souped up Saxo behind me giving it his all so I revved it just over the 3000rpm mark to put him in his place ;)

The interior trim was gash. Mustang brown leather, wooden inlays, grey ceiling and black plastics made for a bit of a colour contrast nightmare.

It had the B&O sound system but to be honest I didn't give it a second thought while I was driving. It did have the Advance PDC with rear camera which was cool. Expensive option but cool nonetheless.

I'm after the Avant model myself which will add more weight to the already meager 143bhp. But at this stage, I'll be happy with the extra space over extra power.

However, when I got back to the office and tried to picture the front of the car in my mind, the 3 series kept popping in there for some reason.

I'm undecided on it. Seen a couple on the roads now and they looked much better in the pics I saw in magazines. Look very bland in the metal

I think Audi need to be a little bit careful to be honest because they're in danger of losing their strong design identity lately. The more i see the A5/S5 the less i like it's lines. They're too fluid for an Audi, not angular and aggressive enough like the RS4, R8 etc. The A4 look to be following the same path....Very BMW which is a bad thing, no doubt about it. Seeing as BMW diesel engines are infinitely better, if Audi's start looking like beamers....why would anyone choose an A4 as a company car?? It's a big sector to be missing out on.

Design wise, Audi's only saving grace lately other than the R8 is the new RS6.... which is a triumph. Great retro, quattro style angular flared arches, proper Audi style design.

I am not too sure about the saloon. I loved the taillights on the facelift model, not so much the new ones. The dash also doesn't do it for me either. I like the dash in my sportback better. The nose is much much better than the facelift though. Somehow the SFG never suited the old model. On the new model it looks just right. Even the led's are growing on me.

The pics I've seen of the s-line Avant on the other hand... yummy! It does need to be an s-line though and have proper alloys. I have seen a couple of saloons at the dealer and they were all very very bland. Small wheels, no s-line, no sport version. These things make a world of difference!

The exterior is growing on me. I think the styling looks good from some angles although the blunt nose takes some getting used to.

The interior seems to be really nice. However, the lower-specced cloth upholstery makes the interior seem less solid in my opinion....not sure why.

I'm not so sure about this A4 looking like a BMW although there are similarities. I do think that the 3 series coupe and A5 look very similar from behind though.

I like it, so much so that I've ordered a 2.0 TDi S-line, it was great at the test drive albeit not an S-line as they aren't in the UK showrooms yet but it pulls well, delivered fairly decent MPG and has a host of standard features that I'd have to pay for if I ordered another A3.

The A3 has been a great car, must be I've had 2 over the last 4 years, but the delay in the A3 facelift until September and the news that we're expecting our first child in August cemented my decision as my current car must be changed in the next 2 months.

I'm hoping that the S-line looks as good in the flesh as it does in the photo's, not sure of a delivery date yet but I guess I'll not get it before June! ;)

I saw some on the roads just recently. From the styling I like the front and side but not too keen on the rear. I think the interior console plastics on the b6/b7 look and feel better compared to the shiney plastics on the b8.

Is it a 3 series / is it a new C Class / is it an Audi !?!?

But all I can say is 'Want an S-Line in WHITE' !!!!! - but too expensive at the moment.

Can't wait to see if there is a hot 'S4' diesel

Seen one and driven one (1.8T). It does look very nice but my three pet hates are...

1: That foot rest next to the clutch pedal, Yuk!!! When I pressed the clutch my foot caught on the foot rest. Very unconformable, for me any way.

2: Cars now seem to way too complected, and this one is no exception. I think the dash is way too busy. And whats with the "BMW" type MMI dial that controls well, everything? I think the B7 may now seem a bit dated but its all very easy to use and a lot less distracting.

3: The price

So would I buy one? No. Another B7? Mmmm, yes.

I would have ordered an S Line in Ibis White last Thursday as a company car but it came in 15% more expensive than the 320d SE! Gone for an A3 instead and pocketed some cash to spend on my weekend toy

Like everything, especially middle management / rep mobiles it looks a bit dull until you spec it up, it needs 18's and it needs the sport bumpers, just like an E46 BMW looks cack without sport bumpers, the new 3 series saloon just looks cack full stop. I think it still looks very Audi, nothing like a 3 series saloon and nothing like a C class, got loads of all these in the car park and all easily distinguishable.

I think the A5 is horrible from some angles, very angular in my opinion at the 'hips' and almost american, like the C class rear arches, but also beautiful from others. Would rather a 3 series coupe but not a 6!

To sum up: In standard guise - bored, boring, not very exciting, s line and it looks good - just like every other manafacturers line up who are serious about the fleet market

Im currently using a 3.0 tdi quattro whilst my car is in for repairs. Goes very well I have to say I like it alot!! Does look a bit like a 5-series from the side. Dont think I'll want to give it back! :eyebrows:

I was behind an Avant at the weekend, I couldnt tell what model as it was de-badged but it must have been a sport version at it had very large alloys on it. Looked gorgeous I must say. Ive "sat in" the saloon version and whilst it was nice, it did seem very "BMW-ish" to me. The jury is still out for me.

Have just read in a French Magazine that they are opening orders on a 170 tdi in July for delivery in September....good CO2 levels (154g) will help the company drivers....hope it makes it accross the water pretty soon.