Audi A4 pulling to the left

andyam

Reaction score
Good morning guys.

Looking for some advice. So back in November I purchased an audi a4 2.0tdi 08 plate se from Swansea audi. As normal comes with the 12 month warranty.

When I picked up the car...There was an instant problem when leaving the branch. The steering wheel was put completely out, if I keep the wheel straight it goes left...so before making even 1 mile I turned around and asked them to resolve it. They got in the car and stated the steering was out of line the tracking is fine. If I notice it again just contact them and they will arrange for my local branch bristol audi to carry out a 4 wheel alignment. I thought great.

Leave go home....on the way back to Bristol I notice that the steering is off again, again going to the left. So called Swansea audi and told them. All booked with bristol audi. Excellent. Car gets wheel alignment...was slightly out now resolved.

few weeks went by...The same thing is happening not as dramatic but if I hold my steering wheel dead straight on any road motorway car park a road b road etc the car pulls to the left.

So off o go again back to Bristol audi. Who state initially due to having cheap tyres...It will cause it. Also down to the camber in the road will also pay a factor in this issue. My car was also in for other things at the same time. I received terrible customer service also! So I took my car back complained to audi uk concerning my poor customer service with 1 member of the team...However I did give compliments to the main representative I was dealing with at Bristol audi. Informed them of the issue with my car still and they have asked me to take the car back to Bristol and let them know when it is booked in.

The car went it Wednesday evening....Thursday I get a call about my car stating there is nothing wrong with my car....However audi uk have told me that I can request to drive another audi a4 and if it doesn't happen to that one I have an argument. So I goto bristol audi tell them I want to go out on a test run with them in my car to show them and then another a4. They were reluctant to do that stating they didn't have another 08 a4. However they did have an 11 plate which was the same suspension wheels and an SE! went out and the technician noticed the difference. However he has said that it's a new car. All cars are different. even so I went out and it didn't happen in their a4 but did in mine. His argument still is the tyres pulling the car. He requested that I change my tyres and see how it is as my tyres are wearing on the inside. I stated no because they are legal and having a 3rd party company check that also, if you believe it is the tyres then I suggest you put their cars wheels onto mine and go for a test run.

He is going to do that today......I don't think it will make a difference as every other car I have driven does not do this. My old a3 had bad bad waring on my inners (changed as soon as mu garage toldme) and never ever pulled to one side. He told me that they are spending so much time on this vehicle but are not getting anything out of it! When he told me that I was in shock. So because audi have a nation wide warranty which means I can take it to any branch regardless of which branch I brought it from they just don't want to fix the issue.

Shall I tell audi uk about what he told me? The technician seems like a decent guy..I don't particularly want him to get sacked or anything but if they come back with crap again after we have identified that there is a difference I may have to!

Has anyone else had this issue with their cars?

I'm going out of my mind here...I love this car...However this steering issue is driving me mad. I don't want it to come to 12 months and my car does have an issue and I have to foot the ****** bill! If I was close to Swansea I would go back their but it's a 4 hour return journey.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks! Andy

Seems very strange mate, i've had previous cars pull to the left before but once a 4 wheel alignment was done, that fixed the problem.

Seems like you've had appalling customer service from your local Audi centre, i'd be saying to Audi UK management if i were you.

Hi. My car was pulling to the left a little bit and it was the faulty hub in front left wheel. Weird thing is that it wasn't doing any bad noises.

I had a set of front tyres fitted and it caused the car to pull to one side. Swapped the pair for another new set and it was cured. So it may be tyres.

Try swapping front to rear.

So I went back to Bristol today...They put on a different set of tyres from another car...issue resolved....However as the tyres were supplied with the car..I am in battle to get audi to pay for replacement tyres as the tread is now uneven...audi uk are already involved...Both audi uk and the technician at Bristol audi both agree that this is a fault with the car which was resolved however has caused the tyres to now have in even tread...which should be covered by Swansea audi.

Issue now is waiting...audi uk are in contact with Swansea. It may mean my car needs to physically go down to Swansea. I've made it clear that if they want my car to go down they either pay for my days leave to take my car down or they carry out a pick up and delivary with a courtesy car.

BrennanTDi I've had a bad time with bristol audi tbh I was fuming at one point! When my car went to them for a second time with a few other issues my wife gave birth to our little boy....They called me stating I needed to come in to replicate an issue which they are unable to. Which I agreed would be either a Wednesday or Thursday. I'd been home with the wife and baby for less than 24 hours and the front of house manager calls me 9 am Wednesday demanding the courtesy car back stating it's needed. Even though I told her I was to come in to try and replicate the issue. She was so rude and not understanding...my wife just had a baby he is less than 2 days old I've just got home my wife had a slight complication I didn't need to be chased about...especially as I already had an agreement to return latest Thursday!

She stated well if you can't come in today theb I'm going to get your car delivered to you...I stated that is ridiculous seeing as I need to come in to try and replicate an issue!

I don't think that compassion is a recognised Germanic trait! Life is cruel sometimes, they are operating a business that yes deals with human beings, but other than their "car" business, they will not bother too much about your personal circumstances. That does not mean that they have handled this with kid gloves though, they should be trained to work that out, though your problem seems to have been caused by this car not being vetted by the other Audi dealer as an Approved Used Audi - it was sold as an approved car was it not?
I put myself in the same situation as you, ie buying the car where it "appeared" and intended to always use my local Audi dealer, but I was lucky - so far!

So latest update....yesterday I had a phone conversation with audi uk....my case manager was out of the office so I asked what the system stated. I was told by 2 different people that I am to get tyres replaced with a budget of 135-165 plus VAT....Happy days. However they couldn't confirm how many tyres I would get. So requested a call back from the case manager....call back today...she said the information was wrong and they both shouldn't have told me anything about the case and defiantly not that they were paying. what the notes meant was that it's what audi uk recommend Swansea do. Swansea stated they declined! And wouldn't be paying...as they said they have compensated with payment of courtesy car -Bristol audi charge £10 per day you have a car...and until recently I was told that I wouldn't have been charged if I showed them my insurance certificate. Ridiculous that they didn't inform me before. Also that Swansea have been nice enough to replace my front brake pads....after they were worn down after 3 months of owning the car. The discs need changing also but they refused. Anyway so I told the case manager I wanted to escalate as far as I could also to advise I would be taking legal action....she told me would pass this to the business manager and also carry out an internal investigation on the 2 who passed me the wrong information. I would however recover the £25 charge for the boot alignment....3 minutes went by after we ended the call and she called me back stating she would honour the tyres herself...as me being told wrong information was their fault and she spoke to her manager who agreed.

Happy days! I asked though to get the tyres myself as I have just lost all trust and faith in audi Swansea and bristol...I didn't want them to have any payment and would rather support my local garages! So yes now on the hunt for some lovely tyres....Andy recommendations. The size is 225/50/17 98Y

Also Swansea other reason was because it's 9 months down the line they think it's not a reasonable time for a fault to be found on tyres. If it was 6 months they would habe considered it. I laughed at the phone stating it's not my fault it's audi bristol....I'm am not the expert here you guys are supposed to be. The case manager agreed!

Such a hassle to get this sorted.
It's one of these unlucky things that we all experience at some stage.
Good on you for fighting for it!