VARYING OIL METER READINGS

rum4mo

Reaction score
I maybe should not be creating a new thread for this topic, but here it is anyway!

As some people have been concerned about oil meter readings, here are my experiences.

Car is an S4 B8, bought second hand from Audi last July. I have only ran about 3,000 miles in it over the past year and at no time have I added any oil, I did buy an oil dip stick and have used that to check oil level, though from when I first fitted it, maybe a couple of days after buying the car, the indicated oil level was slightly above the MAX marking - it has stayed at this level over the past 12 months or 3,000 miles. Every time I checked the oil level indicated on the meter it was at MAX.

I changed the oil and filter last weekend and the removed oil seemed to be the correct quantity - as far as I could estimate.

I refilled the car with slightly more than the quoted 6.2 litres, though the next day the level was once again back to being slightly above the MAX mark on the dip stick.

Later, only after having taken the car for a 5 mile run to check for oil leaks etc, I checked the oil level on the meter and it was at MAX.

I then removed a small quantity of oil using a Pela extracter so that the oil level on the dip stick was "bang on" the MAX marking on the dip stick, I've estimated that I've removed 1/8>1/4litre of oil.

Today, while driving to and back from work, I checked the oil level three times, the reading that I got on the meter was MAX, 3/4MAX and 7/8MAX.

Now it could be that there is an error with the present calibration of the oil meter, or there is a standing error when using the "best" dip stick - which is not meant to be fitted to the S4 3.0TFSI.

The reason for this tale is just to make some people aware of why they might be seeing "less than full" levels on their oil meter after a service - that is with a car with no real oil drinking issue.

Engine temperature has an effect on oil level......