MPG

Barneybhoy

Reaction score
Hi there.

I've just bout a brand new 2.0 tdi A4 Avant (150). I've been driving it very carefully and im still only getting around 39-42 on average to the gallon!! Surely this can't be right??

What type of journey do you do and how many miles on average are those journeys? Is the MPG given via the DIS or via tank-to-tank fill ups and working it out via the cost (or a whizzy app if you have one)?

If it's brand-spanking-new there will be a bed-in time for the engine to and during this your MPG will be well off.

Iv been doin anywhere between 20 - 120 mile journeys. Im just noticing it when im driving via the on board computer.

That's doesn't sound too great to me. I only do short journeys mainly in mine, mixed and I get average 38-40 mpg on dis. Mines a 3.0 tdi quattro a4 b8.
Maybe the DPF needs a manual regen if it's not completing an effective regen on it's own then it will use more fuel. Have you scanned it on vagcom to see if there's any errors?

And then all the usual things like tyres etc

Hi there.

I've just bout a brand new 2.0 tdi A4 Avant (150). I've been driving it very carefully and im still only getting around 39-42 on average to the gallon!! Surely this can't be right??

How many miles has the car done ? round town im getting around 38 ish but on my work trip 160 miles round trip I am seeing 50 +

Nope i've not had the car scanned. I stay about 2 hours away from glasgow audi where i bought it. Its brand new, do you think there could be a problem?? The car has now done approx 800 miles.

Nope i've not had the car scanned. I stay about 2 hours away from glasgow audi where i bought it. Its brand new, do you think there could be a problem?? The car has now done approx 800 miles.

Ah I didn't realise it's brand new with only 800 miles.
In that case I don't think it's anything to worry about.
It takes time for an engine to loosen up and I think you'll see the mpgs getting better and better as the mileage increases

Okdoke. I've just contacted the garage and someone from the technical department is going to call me back.

I get 44mpg tops on my 1.8 TFSi 170, not too bad for petrol.

Reactions: Pdunne75
I have been recording my MPG between brim to brim fills and my MPG combined is 52MPG so I am happy with that! :)

My other car, vw golf 150 roughly averages 49 currently. It's upto 2500 miles so I guess there is still room for improvement. My a4 returns between 38-42 on tank to tank fill ups with mainly motorway driving. It is petrol though so overall it pretty much where the book says it should be. I think most diesels are slightly more optimistic in real world driving. My golf should return 65ish. I expect I will see low to mid 50s at best with a few more miles on.

That is about what I got out my 143 avant a few years ago. And a little better than I got with my 177 avant quattro. They are numbers I would expect to be honest.

It needs about 10,000 miles to free off a bit.

My B8 143 auto used to do just above 40, the replacement B8.5 143 auto seems to do just under 50....... maybe I am just getting slower in my old age!

IMG 2038

I hope you didn't use your phone to take a picture of your dashboard whilst doing 70mph (presumably on a motorway), very illegal.

"You can get an automatic fixed penalty notice if you’re caught using a hand-held phone while driving or riding. You’ll get 3 penalty points on your licence and a fine of £100.
Your case could also go to court and you could be disqualified from driving and get a maximum fine of £1,000"

Naughty naughty

:rulez:

Reactions: Macster
seems low but I have heard the same about new engines taking time to wear in and get better economy, give it another 5k :)

my boat must be on the Hippy juice as I get 50 - 60 mpg pretty constant all year on a 2.0tdi 170 (102k on the clock), 57 average is my good summer weather mpg.
Had a sticking caliper for a year and just had that removed and got a happy 61mpg average on a 100 mile round trip mixed roads straight after the new caliper:
19146546245_505abc7827_b.jpg

I have the 177ps version and I was getting 35-40mpg from brand new. 15k miles on and I am now getting 40-45mpg with the odd easy-going journey tipping just over 50mpg. These are all brim-to-brim calculations too.

Out of interest, what size of wheels do you have? They can make a bit of difference to your fuel economy

I have a 2013 A4 BE 2.0TDi 150 [148] BHP Saloon and I mostly do short journeys; 5-10 miles or less and get 33-36 average, but on a run - which i do at least once a month to clear/charge DPF - mid 40's +, but the readout can be erratic, 60-odd then 40-odd etc.

19" rotors and just past 10k. Hope it gets better!

Last edited: