Hi potential new b8 owner

mattyb6

Reaction score
Hi
I'm currently on the b6 forum on here, but have recently been thinking I'm fancying a b8.

Basically the spec I'm after roughly is:
Prefer avant
Must be diesel
Must be manual
Low mileage as possible but il find one eventually.

I'm just browsing ATM, haven't really started looking yet.

Is there any common problems to look out for?
What engine is the best?

Thanks in advance

Like I say I'm just wanting to get some knowledge together before I start looking

Reactions: Sandra
Budget would also help and any perticular models? People can then keep an eye out for you and update!

Hello,
Welcome to the B8 Section :)
What is your budget and what spec are you after ? Any specific colours ? We will gladly keep our eyes open on here for you.

Well I currently have an SE sport b6 saloon
And I'm happy with the spec on that,
So I'd be happy with a SE tbf

Budget would be up to about £15k max

I'd like black, but I am a fan of the bright red, and dark grey colours too

I'd love a 3.0tdi in all honesty.
But will happily have a 2.0tdi lol

Satnav isn't necessary but would like iphone connection or Sd card.

What common problems are people having with the diesels?

Most b8s I've seen on auto trader etc are 100k plus mileage which I'd rather not go for tbh

Welcome to the b8 section, guys are all friendly and helpful in here. Hope you find what you looking for. Good luck with the search. :) x

Last edited:
I think of all the engines the 3.0 has the least amount of problems and those that it does have are minor and cheap to fix.
I really love mine, The problem with the 3.0 is there aren't that many compared to the 2.0 cars so choice is a lot more limited.
You can get the cars a lot more cheaper if you go for less spec.The car listed above is nice but why has somebody put Nexen tyres on a 15K car, I always think if the tyres have been skimped on what else hasn't been done? .
Cars with lots of kit on are nice but in my opinion I am more interested in whats under the bonnet and the way it drives. Sunroofs , Bose surround, sat navs etc will push the price up and to me don't improve the drive. They are just toys.

One a bit like mine

Audi A4 3.0 TDI QUATTRO SE 5DR

Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro SE 4dr

Interesting interior color

Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro SE 4dr

Karl.

Reactions: kanecullen89 and Audi Dynamik
Very right in what you are saying there.
I saw the first one aswell but when i went on the website it had sold.
I like the red leather in the bottom link, very nice !

Thanks Karl and audi dynamik!

Yeah I agree with the tyres choice and what else has the car been subject to relating to new parts.

It's good to know about the the audi used car scheme and that I could put in offers.

I did forget to ask, do most models now come with Quattro as I'd prefer it.

Having a look at the links posted it's quite easy to pick up a 3.0tdi for less than £15 and less than 100k on the clock.

A 58 plate is 6 years old now aswell, which isn't too bad I would like newer, but I doubt I'd get a low mileage 3.0tdi for less than £15k much new than 58/59 plate

But again I'm just browsing
ATM, as I'm in the process of saving for a house aswell.

Can anyone breakdown the spec of the SE, SE sport and what features these had as standard?

Thanks Karl and audi dynamik!

Yeah I agree with the tyres choice and what else has the car been subject to relating to new parts.

It's good to know about the the audi used car scheme and that I could put in offers.

I did forget to ask, do most models now come with Quattro as I'd prefer it.

Having a look at the links posted it's quite easy to pick up a 3.0tdi for less than £15 and less than 100k on the clock.

A 58 plate is 6 years old now aswell, which isn't too bad I would like newer, but I doubt I'd get a low mileage 3.0tdi for less than £15k much new than 58/59 plate

But again I'm just browsing
ATM, as I'm in the process of saving for a house aswell.

Can anyone breakdown the spec of the SE, SE sport and what features these had as standard?

Why don't you forget the house and the A4 and go straight for an A8 - 2 birds with 1 stone; you have a car and you can live in it.

Double glazing - Refinement - Audi A8 - Audi UK

...........I'm not being helpful, am I...

Reactions: mattyb6
Bit of an update
My b6 is going back to standard, then I'm going to try and trade it in.

Seen a couple of 3.0tdi for about £10-12k
Inc an ex police car. ;)

Evans halshaw have a few in with low mileage, plus they would take my car and knock some money off.
But Evan halshaw are horrible people to deal with apparently.

The ones I've been looking at this week are 59/60 plates

Still no where near buying one, though

And the girlfriend has said I can have a 3.0, only if I don't lower it and do stupid mods to it.

I AM ALLOWED a remap though ;)

Il keep you's updated with anything

I think that you are correct in taking onboard the 3.0 advice, my logic is that that engine is an "Audi" engine so more likely to give you that "Audi" quality.

Husband of a friend of wife's keeps buying Audis with "VW" engines and does tend to get bitten by them (in the wallet), I keep trying to get wife to suggest that he opens his wallet a bit more when buying and that might save him a lot of grief longer term, his experiences have even made him think about M-B but I seem to have got the message through to him that they too are not trouble free - plus they wreck your wallet at the beginning - and he is a tight wad!

Hahaha
My friends/girlfriend and parents don't see the point in spending that amount of money on a 4 year old car.
But I keep insisting on the quality and standard of the 4 rings

My b6 has cost me a fortune in the 3 years I've owned it but it has 184k now and still running mint

You wouldn't see a Renault or Peugeot do that

Reactions: RS5 JON
Exactly, each to their own as it is said! I don't know anyone at work that has spent as much on a new car what I have spent on a 2.5 year old car! I'm happy though, my choice of car is based on what I want and makes me happy and not what impresses or annoys others!

Actually I do know someone that has a biggish Pug car and that car seems to have done a lot more miles than it admits to, I did not think that mileages could get fiddled so easily these days! That car has now had hopefully all its nasty bits replaced and seems to be going into "for special runs" usage as a Nissan Quas*** has been sourced for his wife to kerb a lot!

B8 is an excellent choice, i have a 2.0TDi SE and i think it is a fantastic car and with my wheels on it, it gets a lot of admiring and envious glances.

At times i do wish it was an s-line as i'd love the xenons and leather but unfortunately they were a bit out of my budget.

Im sure you will be very happy in whatever you go for :)

I 2.0tdi would be cheaper, and I could afford a higher spec 2.0 than slower spec 3.0.

But I think I just want the power more than anything now.
Without spending a fortune on mods. Like I said earlier it will only have a remap.

If push comes to shove and I have to sacrifice for a 2.0 it will be a 170, and I know il now be disappointed, even with a map.

But going to 240bhp in a 3.0 Quattro from a 1.9tdi 130 FWD will be day and night
And only being 23 it will be big step up.

Only thing is il have to sell my wheels as they're staggered so don't want to chance it on a Quattro :(