Dpf delete

hilly

Reaction score
I have just put a deposit on a 3.0 tdi s line estate and wanting to start tuning. I was first thinking of going down the hybrid turbo route but don't fancy changing the turbo if there is nothing wrong with the turbo to start with but still not ruled that option out. So at the moment I'm looking into the dpf delete and a remap. My brother has a 330d with a dpf delete but sometimes he gets a smell of fumes in car just wondering if anybody knows of this happening to the a4 3.0 tdi? And my other question is how much would I be looking at to do the dpf delete and remap??

You wil probably get a lot of mixed comments on here about the dpf delete but me personally is one who thinks its one of the best mods for the tdi the 3.0tdi sounds awsome with the dpf delete done too, as for the price it all depends where and what route you go down with it, I have been looking in to it for some time for mine and I have decided to use Darkside in Barnsley as they are by the best Diesel tuning guys around, pricey though as you will be looking at around 1k for the delete and custom map but in my eyes it's worth it as they should be used for all your mods as they have a couple A4s there also they do all the turbo kits. But some have had there's done for around £600 elsewhere. A custom 2.5" or 3" exhaust wouldn't go a miss at same time ;)

I was thinking of using darkside developments but like you say they seem abit pricey. I guess I would sooner pay more and get a top job done tho. The main thing what puts me off is the smell of fumes in the car but that might just be on bmw's. The other company who I was thinking of using is rs tuning at leeds heard good things about them.

I've not had it done yet but I've only heard good things and not heard of the exhaust fume problem. May just be a Beemer thing.
I know a user on here has modded his B8 3.0 tdi quite a bit including DPF delete, remap etc. He's called Karl, username: desertstorm

We've spend a lot of time developing the Maps for these, I'm pretty confident you are not going to get better elsewhere. We also pride ourselves on extremely neat workmanship.

Here's Karl's graph. You don't need to go as extreme as this if you don't want to, we can adjust to your requirements.

ImprovedMRCrollingroad zpse6f2c501

Rick

We've spend a lot of time developing the Maps for these, I'm pretty confident you are not going to get better elsewhere. We also pride ourselves on extremely neat workmanship.

Here's Karl's graph. You don't need to go as extreme as this if you don't want to, we can adjust to your requirements.

View attachment 34831

Rick

Where are you guys based Rick?

Removing the DPF is an MOT fail since February 2014, although I've not heard of anyone being caught yet.

I can recommend Rick for a remap on these or indeed any car, The fact is he is extremely knowledgeable and experienced and he does the mapping himself. They are not bought in maps from some other tuner so he can make adjustments on the fly to get what you want.
As he says the mechanical side of the work is also done very well.
If you are getting fumes in a car then there is a leak somewhere in the exhaust system, possibly the DPF wasn't welded back up correctly.
Here is the DPF On my car after it was welded up, you cannot see any of this as it's up against the bulkhead, To anybody looking at it they can not see any welds unless it is removed.As you can see the quality of the welding is also very good.

Having the DPF / Cat removed and the EGR deleted is the best thing to do on a diesel, As the car no longer regenerates you save fuel , the back pressure caused by the DPF is many more times than that of the exhaust system. If you want the best noise / performance/ fuel economy out of the car the DPF has to go.
To get the best performance out of these I would say the standard intercooler is possibly too small so needs replacing, you don't need to spend £800 on a Milltek exhaust either, just removing the baffles in the rear box or having custom exhaust rear boxes will get you a nice noise.
The numbers on the dyno look good but I think the performance on the quarter mile is more telling, 13.36s at 103 mph .
Have a look around on the net and see what kind of cars run this kind of time.
And my car is an estate, I did remove the back seats, a 15 minute job that saves about 40Kg, but otherwise it was standard not a stripped out 1/4 mile special.

Karl.

Reactions: darren t and kanecullen89