Radiator fan staying on

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Ok guys, had the car a few hours and noticed it does this, the fan stays sometimes for like 5 mins after the car has shut off.

This is when driving the car smoothly and normally, not ragging the baps off it

Is this normal?

Is it a diesel?

If it is then it completely normal. It's part of the DPF regen process. Absolutely nothing to worry about

No, it's not normal. If the car has been in heavy stop start traffic or pulling a load it would probably get hot enough for the fan to come on, but not in normal driving, and certainly not for 5 minutes after you switch off, that's a hell of a long time. Have you checked the coolant level ? If it's short of coolant it would normally flag up a warning, but there may be a fault there.
Is the temp gauge reading normal ? it should sit at 90 deg when fully warmed up.

Is it a diesel?

If it is then it completely normal. It's part of the DPF regen process. Absolutely nothing to worry about

Aaron as kane said it sounds like the DPF cycle is running which is completely normal! If you want I can plug the computer in for you to be sure no faults are logged!

I have this same problem. It drives my wife mad but I've just got used to it. You can drive ten minutes and the fan stays on when you stop and then you can drive an hour and it doesn't. Just don't understand it but there you are.
Bit like the engine turning off when you stop. There is that long list of what the car 'looks for' before it turns the engine off at for example traffic lights but sometimes it just plain does not make sense when it refuses to turn off.