Stop/Start B8.5 - VCDS Disable?

Zafi

Reaction score
So I looked through all the coding and adaptations for any mention of Start-Stop

Then I tried
[01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 6
Bit 0 untick
[01 ENGINE] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Activation of Start/Stop function, change stored value to Not Active
[02 AUTO TRANS] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Deactivation of Start/Stop Function, change from Not Active to Active
[46 Central Conv] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 11
Bit 2 untick

Anyhow the coding did not work, could not get it to accept a change to [01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07], came up with "Coding rejected Error 31: Request out of range

All others changed OK, started the car and it put a message on the dash that said "Start-Stop system: System fault. Function unavailable." but a test drive showed the ****** stop start still worked!

Then when I plugged it to change the stuff back, the 2 adaptation changes I made had already changed back by themselves.

Any ideas anyone?

So I looked through all the coding and adaptations for any mention of Start-Stop

Then I tried
[01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 6
Bit 0 untick
[01 ENGINE] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Activation of Start/Stop function, change stored value to Not Active
[02 AUTO TRANS] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Deactivation of Start/Stop Function, change from Not Active to Active
[46 Central Conv] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 11
Bit 2 untick

Anyhow the coding did not work, could not get it to accept a change to [01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07], came up with "Coding rejected Error 31: Request out of range

All others changed OK, started the car and it put a message on the dash that said "Start-Stop system: System fault. Function unavailable." but a test drive showed the ****** stop start still worked!

Then when I plugged it to change the stuff back, the 2 adaptation changes I made had already changed back by themselves.

Any ideas anyone?

I did see a guide on turning off Stop/Start somewhere online - can't remember where.

In general, you often get 'Error 31: Request out of range' for changes that require a security login to stick. Two possibles, two of the 3 modules needs a security login for the bit changes to stick, or B8.5 modules have newer firmware and channels and coding addresses have changed slightly, at least in part, from the existing instruction. From your findings my money is on security login on the modules that changed back. Chances are they didn't change back but the change could not be committed because the modules remain 'write protected' without the security login. Which 2 didn't stick?

I dont mind it all. I find the electronic handbrake more annoying.

its a pain in the are

^This^

I quite like the electronic handbrake, apart from they are absolutely useless for doing handbrake turns as the ESP works with the handbrake so it ends up locking the front too so makes a total balls of the turn.

Why do you want to do handbrake turns?!! You're not in a lowered vauxhall corsa now haha ;)!

Re-read your post Zafi. The engine needs a security login code which VCDS doesn't give you - I got this nugget from another forum thread posted by someone called elio2:

"I contacted RossTech, they contacted Audi, Audi says it's illegal to disable it, since in Germany it's considered tax fraude if you disable this..."

If that's true VCDS / Ross Tech will not make it possible. Sort of makes sense as the Stop/Start is what takes the emissions down a tax band. Probably why the off switch is only temporary. However, Vag Can Pro the Polish rival to VCDS lists disabling Stop/Start as one of the one click functions (among other things VCDS doesn't do like module flashing, parameterization etc). It's about €200 for Vag Can Pro software and cable but the user base is small and comminity info is scarce. I guess it all depends how annoying you find it - €200 worth of annoying?

Last edited:
I find it a real PITA too, and RossTech should be helping us out, especially considering what we pay for the cables.

Perhaps we all need to request them to give us the info we expect? I'll contact them for starter as I would like it disabled, stop/start is quite intrusive in my 3.0TDI, the car rocks every time the engine stops, my friend got a 190Ultra and it's not so bad in that.

Good point about the emissions linked to VED, I understand why they make it difficult.

I don't get it, you are trying to disable Stop/Start? There is a button in the dashboard for that :think:

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi-partner
I find it a real PITA too, and RossTech should be helping us out, especially considering what we pay for the cables.

Perhaps we all need to request them to give us the info we expect? I'll contact them for starter as I would like it disabled, stop/start is quite intrusive in my 3.0TDI, the car rocks every time the engine stops, my friend got a 190Ultra and it's not so bad in that.

To be fair you can't really blame Ross Tech for that. It's like SVM and Parameterization, Component Management, and Imobiliser / Key coding (for legit reasons); there's loads of stuff we'd all like to be able to do ourselves but we can't without a Geko login to the Ingolstadt Database. All of that is down to Audi locking down authorised settings. A lot of stuff on newer modules is flashed to static flash ram in a single hit and can't be re-coded or adapted easily. 5F MMI EQ settings for chassis type spring to mind.

The way Vag Can Pro from Poland does it is by using zdc container files to completely reflash the module with a mofified file with the desired settings / parameterization. Which could be risky. I wouldn't like to brick my BCM2 module or the like trying stuff out. I definitely would be gutted if I bricked the ECU!

If you've got a manual, just don't take your foot off the clutch, if you've got an auto.... do some digging for the security code!

Re-read your post Zafi. The engine needs a security login code which VCDS doesn't give you - I got this nugget from another forum thread posted by someone called elio2:

"I contacted RossTech, they contacted Audi, Audi says it's illegal to disable it, since in Germany it's considered tax fraude if you disable this..."

If that's true VCDS / Ross Tech will not make it possible. Sort of makes sense as the Stop/Start is what takes the emissions down a tax band. Probably why the off switch is only temporary. However, Vag Can Pro the Polish rival to VCDS lists disabling Stop/Start as one of the one click functions (among other things VCDS doesn't do like module flashing, parameterization etc). It's about €200 for Vag Can Pro software and cable but the user base is small and comminity info is scarce. I guess it all depends how annoying you find it - €200 worth of annoying?

I've come across this forum in looking for a way to permanently disable to Auto Stop/Start which irritates the c**p out of me. For Audi to say it's illegal to disable it stating that it's considered tax fraud is pure BS; you can already disable it each time you start the engine! The first place I find that can permanently disable it will get my money!

Gentlemen, I have done following changes trough VCDS yesterday and I can confirm Start/Stop is disabled every time I start the engine. "LED light stays ON" Thanks to audiinut.

- Go to Module 09-Cent. Elec.
- Enter Security Code (shown up by default) (mine was 20113)
- Go to Adaptation, Type Channel 34 and hit Read button, it should show the factory default number in value window.
- Subtract 4 from factory default number/value to disable Start&Stop every time engine is started. "Worked for my car"
- Add 32 to the factory default number/value it remember last status "This did not work on my car, but you can try"
- Test & Save

Reactions: alpesh26 and ruairi83
I shall have to give that a try, thanks

Reactions: turbozob
Gentlemen, I have done following changes trough VCDS yesterday and I can confirm Start/Stop is disabled every time I start the engine. "LED light stays ON" Thanks to audiinut.

- Go to Adaptation, Type Channel 34 and hit Read button, it should show the factory default number in value window.
- Subtract 4 from factory default number/value to disable Start&Stop every time engine is started.
- Test & Save

Finally pulled my finger out and tried the code. It works!
Thank you very much for sharing :)

Reactions: ruairi83
Interesting. Is it then disabled all the time or can you still turn it on via the button? Most of the time it annoys me but sometimes when I'm in a queue at the lights and I know they're not going to change for a minute or so its handy to have it turn off

Interesting. Is it then disabled all the time or can you still turn it on via the button? Most of the time it annoys me but sometimes when I'm in a queue at the lights and I know they're not going to change for a minute or so its handy to have it turn off
The very question I was going to ask.

It is disabled as default, led light on. If you want to enable it, press the button and led light is off.

Reactions: Locoblade and jdp1962
If you are at lights for a while you put on your handbrake, start/stop does not cut off the engine if the handbrake is on.

What cars ought to have is a timer that turns off brake lights if the tw4t in front sits with his foot on the brakes for more than 5 seconds.

It is disabled as default, led light on. If you want to enable it, press the button and led light is off.

Excellent so it just reverses the default setting, I'll have to dig out the VCDS lead and do this at the weekend

- Subtract 4 from factory default number/value to disable Start&Stop every time engine is started. "Worked for my car"
- Add 32 to the factory default number/value it remember last status "This did not work on my car, but you can try"
- Test & Save

I have tried this and it's off by default... But when I want to use it and enable start/stop, it's not working...
So this means that it is disabed all the time?

Pretty sure the light goes off if I press the button. I cannot think why you would want it to work, I have never switched mine back on since doing the coding.

Zafi likewise, it is disabled since.
Ivan what do you mean by it's not working? Does the light near button go off? Remember there are certain conditions for start/stop to work.

Thanks for your reply...
Button is working... When I start the engine, red light is OFF.. that is ok...
But when I want to use Start/Stop and turn the light OFF (S/S ON).. my car never goes off. On my display I always get crossed A...

Thanks for your reply...
But when I want to use Start/Stop and turn the light OFF (S/S ON).. my car never goes off. On my display I always get crossed A...
My idea of heaven.

Thanks for your reply...

That symbol (crossed A) tells you that you are not meeting the start/stop conditions.

Reactions: James_TDi
That symbol (crossed A) tells you that you are not meeting the start/stop conditions.
I'm driving same routes every day, and before substract 4, it was going off when stationary..
DPF is ok, battery is ok... I will add 4 these days to test if car going off...