Need some 2008+ 2.0 a4 advice please :)

JohnnyFa

Reaction score
Hey guys! Im looking to buy a 2008 2.0 TDI Audi A4 this week! Iv been hearing some issues with them! Not sure whats true and whats not! Someone who is an audi fanatic tells me that if im getting a 08 audi a4 that i need to stay clear of any audi with 3 letters on the engine number code! He says they cause problems??? And that i should look for one with 4 letters in the engine number code! I dont know if this is true or not and it doesnt even make sense to me so i thought i would ask you guys!!

Also have ye any other things i should look out for or any things i should stay away from?
Thanks guys!

Update! I'm now looking at buying a 2010 2.0 tdi a4 with the stop/start function. Do any of ye use the stop/start function and if so is it any good?

how much you looking at spending,and are you buying a cash buy or garage?

I have a 2010 A4 2.0tdi with Start Stop and I use it all the time good job! :)

as far as i know the 2010 2.0tdi does not have the issues with the heads and oil pumps that the 2007 has as audi changed the design but dont take my word for it wait for another reply as i am fairly new to the 2.0tdi

2007 is older shape b7
as far as i know the 2010 2.0tdi does not have the issues with the heads and oil pumps that the 2007 has as audi changed the design but dont take my word for it wait for another reply as i am fairly new to the 2.0tdi

My current car is my first with start/stop and it works really well, I have had the car for 8 months and I have never turned it off.

how much you looking at spending,and are you buying a cash buy or garage?

Im looking at spending 16,000 euro altogether. But if i buy a car with an English reg then im going to be spending less as i have to pay 3500 euro to vrt it. The current car im looking at is owned by a garage and they sell ALOT of b8 audi's. it comes with 3 month warranty and a full hpi printout and valet. its for sale for 12,300 euro. But its on English plates so then another 3500 euro on vrt.

WHAT YEAR? FOR 12,300 EURO?

And what mileage ?

Last edited:
I absolutely hate the stop start function and the stupid automatic engine stop when you step out the car to shut the gate.

I am going to try switch it off using
[01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 6
Bit 0 untick
[01 ENGINE] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Activation of Start/Stop function, change stored value to Not Active
[02 AUTO TRANS] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Deactivation of Start/Stop Function, change from Not Active to Active
[46 Central Conv] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 11
Bit 2 untick

today :)

Update! I'm now looking at buying a 2010 2.0 tdi a4 with the stop/start function. Do any of ye use the stop/start function and if so is it any good?

The stop/start is ok. Totally different on a manual as it only kicks in when in neutral and the clutch comes up. The second the clutch goes down the engine starts so you are pretty much in control of wheter or not it acts. No idea how it is on an auto box. Also depends on what sort of traffic you drive in. I hardly ever sit at lights more than 30 seconds on my rural commute but in town driving it works well. Depends on your driving style too. I use engine braking and rarely come to a stop at a junction in any gear other than 1st so i'm prepared for the lights and only step into neutral if i have time, normally when I'm at the end of the queue. Quite often if I'm at the front and I've shifted into neutral and brought the clutch up; no sooner has the engine cut then I need to prepare to move off, in goes the clutch an the engine starts - it's pointless then. You learn to live with it and use it when appropriate and it will save fuel if you have slow junctions or lightson your regular routes.

One thing I would say, I had a brown trouser moment a few days after getting my car. New car, unfamiliar clutch and throttle travel, unfamiliar low end torque, steep incline up to a junction. Stalled the thing halfway through into a 60mph road with dips left and right obscuring me. Start/stop does not behave the same as a car without start/stop in that scenario.

I absolutely hate the stop start function and the stupid automatic engine stop when you step out the car to shut the gate.

I am going to try switch it off using
[01 ENGINE] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 6
Bit 0 untick
[01 ENGINE] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Activation of Start/Stop function, change stored value to Not Active
[02 AUTO TRANS] -> [Adaptation 10] ->
Channel Deactivation of Start/Stop Function, change from Not Active to Active
[46 Central Conv] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 11
Bit 2 untick

today :)

What's weird with mine is whenever I pull into our road and stop to open the gate it automatically cancels the start/stop (shows the symbol with the line through it) and the engine keeps running Before I do anything different like open the door. Now, I can't for the life of me figure that out. Conditions are the same so it could be any junction, so what is it that causes it to behave differently? I've come to the conclusion, barking mad though it is, that my car now Knows where it lives ;-)

if the heaters are on....it keeps running

If handbrake is on, it keeps running.... until I get out.

If I get out without putting handbrake on (with transmission in P) it stops as I get out and puts the handbrake on.