Potential Audi B8 Owner

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hi Folks.....I am seriously looking at getting an 30K to 40K miler A4 Avant 2.0TDi B8 (170 S Line as I want some grunt & sportiness, but not a quattro), around 2010/2011 vintage to replace my shopping trolley BMW 1 Series.

My previous car before the BMW was an Audi 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant (fully loaded) which I owned for 5 years - and without doubt it was one of the best cars I have ever owned, particularly as it had an RS4 rear anti rol bar on it (and yes I do regret selling it)....

However, the B6 cost me £500 to get a cambelt change a few years back, so have the newer diesel Audi's got a cam chain rather than belt (hope so)....are there any other weak points in the B8 to look for....(on the B6 rear wiper packed up, rust appeared near the roof near the roof rails, rear hub lost an ABS ring, some monitor thing on engine inlet went duff causing engine management light to come on, armrest latch broke twice, wiper linkages seized, etc all needed replacement during my ownership - a lot of them at £300 a pop)

So any issues weak points/advice about the B8 Audi A4's would be appreciated - Cheers chaps

Dervs still have a belt. Better now but still perishable and need periodic replacement. Exept the 3.0 TDI V6, they have a chain. the oil pumps are chain driven on all though I think.

Look out for notchy lower gears that intermittently niggle going in. Not all A4 have this and it doesn't happen all the time for those that do but it is a very common complaint.

Low rev power delivery is quite poor on the CR engines. DPF and Euro 5 compliance has taken the grunt out at low revs and has restricted the potential of these TDI engines.. 2010/11 will likely be hobbled by this.

TDI fuel economy is bad compared to equivalent BMW offering and is not a kick in the behind away from the A4 FSI. It's that DPF again.

If I were buying an A4 again tomorrow I'd seriously look at the FSI as an alternative to the TDI. The new CR TDI are nothing like as fun to drive as an older TDI, they're not as agricultural and are refined but really lack something with the limp low rev torque.

Reactions: SI-W85
I had a 2010 143 Tdi and quite enjoyed driving it.

Never needed topping up with oil. When it was 3 years old 60,000 miles it cost me £80 for a sensor and a couple of hundred for front wheel bearings but that was it.

Dervs still have a belt. Better now but still perishable and need periodic replacement. Exept the 3.0 TDI V6, they have a chain. the oil pumps are chain driven on all though I think.

Look out for notchy lower gears that intermittently niggle going in. Not all A4 have this and it doesn't happen all the time for those that do but it is a very common complaint.

Low rev power delivery is quite poor on the CR engines. DPF and Euro 5 compliance has taken the grunt out at low revs and has restricted the potential of these TDI engines.. 2010/11 will likely be hobbled by this.

TDI fuel economy is bad compared to equivalent BMW offering and is not a kick in the behind away from the A4 FSI. It's that DPF again.

If I were buying an A4 again tomorrow I'd seriously look at the FSI as an alternative to the TDI. The new CR TDI are nothing like as fun to drive as an older TDI, they're not as agricultural and are refined but really lack something with the limp low rev torque.

A good tuning box restores that low rev grunt and improves fuel economy!

Reactions: TDI-Tuning