S-Tronic Acceleration Lag

cma

Reaction score
I have just bought a B8 3.0 V6 Diesel A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition S-Tronic 2012 with abut 27k miles on it.

Not sure if this is a problem of just me as this is my first auto car and I've always driven manuals before (apart from 2 weeks in a lazy USA hire car)

Sat at roundabouts or junctions, on the brake. See a gap and put my foot down, car thinks for a split second then car trundles forward for half a second, then once you half to a full car length out it kicks in and goes like a rocket.

The thinking delay is what I would expect but the trundling forward is my worry. This has left me looking a little stupid at
roundabout/junctions several times. And made a few close calls closer than they would have been in a manual. My old manual 1.6 diesel Peugeot 508 got out of roundabouts quicker than this 3.0 v6 quattro.

Noticed it also sometimes when slowing down for traffic lights, then the lights change and I put my foot down to accelerate and nothing happens for what seems like an age, then it goes like stink.

In a manual you dump the clutch and it goes. But the s-tronic has this awful lag.

Is this normal for the s-tronic and I'm just expecting too much?

Hi, I don't have a diesel, so perhaps I am the wrong person to write, but on mine, I have drive select, which can be set to economy, dynamic, etc. In economy, it drives a little like you describe; have a look and see whether you have this, and what it is set to?

Thanks for the reply. Where is this Drive Select you mention?

On my gear lever I only have D (Drive) and S (Sport) and I can't find anything in the menu similar to what you mention.

Perhaps the Drive Select is only on newer models that mine?

It is either below the CD player ( a number of buttons ) or in the MMI screen.

Thanks.

Only Parking Sensors and Traction Control under the CD player. And I can't see anything under the million options in the MMI for it. Is it under a specific category or on the root of the car menu?

I agree on the 'economy'/standard setting. My S4 is 09, so economy wasn't really an issue, I have Comfort instead. I have drive select and the DSG acts like an older tiptronic box in Auto/Comfort, i.e. put your foot down and there's a lag. When you put it in Dynamic, the response it instantaneous and I find quite a shock sometimes as I am used to putting my food 1/3 of the way down to get the car going in Comfort/Auto and doing the same in Dynamic makes it look like you're racing people from the lights or something! I think it's the same if you don't have drive select. Pull the gear selector back to knock it into Sport mode and it'll go much quicker.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Will double check when I get in the car tonight but I don't think its there.

Any other ideas?

Thanks. I definitely don't have those buttons on the dash. Will check the menu option tonight, but I guess you don't have one without the other?

Was drive select std on a B8 3.0 V6 Diesel A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition S-Tronic 2012 ??

cma - if you don't have it, I think you still have the ability to make the gearbox respond quicker by knocking it back into S. My car is older & with different options, so has a slightly different set up, i.e. My DSG onlt has P R N D (and +/- across from D)

Anthony - I'm pretty sure it was an option

Confirmed. I don't have drive select anywhere in the MMI.

Tried "S" mode on the way home. Picks up a bit quicker but holds on to the revs quite high, which is good for sports, just not good for the commute, and is rather kangeroo style in stop start traffic. Sometimes there is a noticable "clunk" feeling when it drops from S2 to S1.

It is a bit more confidence inspiring pulling out of junctions/roundabouts just going to have to keep flicking between S and D all the time. Make a bit of a joke of it being an Auto :(

Main thing is that I don't have a problem and this is to be expected as I have about 6 months left of the original Manufacturers Warranty.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of software update for this box?

I had an A6 3.0TDi Quattro as a loaner when my car was serviced and in 'normal' mode it was torturously slow to respond at junctions. In 'Sport' mode the gear changes felt somewhat amateurish and over-held. It was the first auto style box I'd driven for years and I got out thinking WTF is this, people rave about these things. That didn't have ADS either, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Audi do 3 auto boxes, S-Tronic, multitronic and tiptronic, and I'm not sure how you'd visibly tell between the three.

When coming out of junctions, (time it when you want to pull out between cars and time it when your ready) let off brake until it starts to crawl then accelerate or use s mode with paddle shift to stop it redlining.
Think you just need to find the comfort zone with them for your driving style.

Thats probably the problem. I'm a gear stick man, like being in control of what the car is doing. An auto, will never have the anticipation of a human with todays technology. Had to buy the S-Tronic for towing as it was smoking the old manual clutch on my 2.0tdi a bit too much. (plus I fancied more toys and power)

Was just hoping there was a remap or update to take some of the slack out of the system.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Revo do a DSG remap (STronic), so I'm sure others will to. May be worth contacting them to see if it improves launch.

When coming out of junctions, (time it when you want to pull out between cars and time it when your ready) let off brake until it starts to crawl then accelerate or use s mode with paddle shift to stop it redlining.

Not driving an auto I'm not qualified to comment only to say what Bustsmoves says rings very true for me going from a 105bhp PD TDI to an A4 140bhp CR TDI manual. I was bricking it at every junction and roundabout for a while as this shiny new Audi dragged it's lazy great bulk into traffic like an afterthought. It took me weeks to get used to having to anticipate getting the thing moving.

My old (35 bhp less remember) PD TDI had way more grunt low down and really had to be held back at low revs. I had to keep on the brake as the clutch came up at junctions to hold it back, no throttle needed till the clutch was all the way up, by that time I would be more than two car lengths through the junction or roundabout and changing up already, only needing to give it throttle in second and up. It was practically impossible to stall. My A4 on the other hand needs no brake at all and a lot of throttle to coax it to just move into the juction at all. Lazy get. At first I thought it was a clutch or flywheel problem.

From what cma says of the 3.0l V6 auto and my experience of a 2.0l manual, compared to other marques it seems there is definitely something very casual about Audi dervs delivery at low revs. After a couple of months it finally seems ok. I've gotten used to it and adapted. Finding the comfort zone took a while though.

Sorry to res an old thread but I found the same on my new 1.8TFSI Black edition Avant with the S-Tron box
Always been a manual man so I think it is just different and will take some getting used to.

I also find under full throttle the gear changes with the paddles are fairly laboured - almost a slight delay.

I have the same impressions. I now drop it into sport when I'm starting to approach a junction/roundabout then flick it back into Drive once I've left the junction/roundabout.

I find there is a definite delay in changing up/down using the paddles to. Not sporty at all, almost pointless. I've now found the paddles are only useful for dropping down the gears ready to overtake something or flicking up when the silly sport mode tries to redline it on acceleration.

Overall I'm very unimpressed with such a highly praised gearbox. And if it wasn't for towing a caravan I would have been looking to sell it

(sorry for mentioning the C word) ;)

I was thinking about this thread earlier as I was driving. You need to press the accelerator much further than you think you do to pull away normally when you are in D. Try putting your foot half/two thirds down when pulling away and see what happens. Pulling away normally in sport is different though, you have to be much more gentle on the throttle.

I definitely agree that you have to drive the auto differently to a manual and as above you really have to floor the accelerator...as for the paddles I am still undecided, as the change doesn't seem to be very quick and it is mega annoying when you got to change down and the car doesn't allow it.

Hi, I drive the same car and don't have the problem you are describing, I find it very responsive when setting off and definitely don't have any lag like you describe. Maybe it's just a case of adapting to a new / different car, but if you think there is something wrong take it to your dealer for a check as it is under warranty.

I'm also was thinking the same when I first stepped into it as I've had manuals all my life and I'm used to controlling car myself, compared to other auto boxes, this is one of the best ones in terms of drivability.
I've now got used to the box and have no issues, I don't need to put my foot flat to the floor when I set of like has been said above otherwise it would try to drift lol.
Let foot off brake until it starts to crawl, then slightly press accelerator, not too much IMO there's enough power to cope with quick exits.
When taking over cars I, leave it in 'd' and then just use paddles (same effect as using sport mode IMO) and then when paddles are left alone it goes back into drive automatically.

I was thinking about this thread earlier as I was driving. You need to press the accelerator much further than you think you do to pull away normally when you are in D. Try putting your foot half/two thirds down when pulling away and see what happens. Pulling away normally in sport is different though, you have to be much more gentle on the throttle.

Thats about it, I leave mine in "D" most of the time, Sport is just too jerky but when I need to pull away "briskly" in "D" I nearly always floor it letting the "quattro" grip gets me there when the S-tronic finally decides to bite.
You can't do it in FWD as car just sits there spinnig wheels, I come from the 170fwd so I know.

I have also noticed the 7-speed is quicker at changing/engaging than the older 6-speed, I find it a pretty good match to the 3.0TDI for ratios and change points, except that 1st to 2nd change is very slow in "D" & "S".

You will adapt, so don't sweat it.

Reactions: cma
Would be worth asking your dealer to see if there is a software update. On the early 3.0 TDI (240PS) cars there certainly was an issue that was corrected by a new version.

Mine exhibits what you describe but only when cold. If its giving you that 1/2 second delay all the time then that's not right.

Also to note, stronic boxes require oil change every 40k miles so if not changed that could add to delays and changing gear.

Would be worth asking your dealer to see if there is a software update. On the early 3.0 TDI (240PS) cars there certainly was an issue that was corrected by a new version.

Mine exhibits what you describe but only when cold. If its giving you that 1/2 second delay all the time then that's not right.

I did ask before purchase for them to check if there were any updates for the software for the box but they said if there's an update it will always be applied as they aren't optional.

Only on 27k miles so still got 13k to go till change.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just thought to mention that I have a new 17 plate A3 2.0tfsi and I get the same lag (very disappointing).