Dpf regen active indicator

Reaction score
Hi folks

Is there any way for us to tell when a dpf regen cycle is happening? I have read that the car may lose some power but isn't something I have noticed what I have noticed is that on occasion when I turn the car off the fans come on. I have read that this suggests you have interrupted a regen. If there was someway I knew that it was doing one I would continue driving until it was finished (I mainly do short runs and I'm paranoid about cloggin it up) so in short is there anything to be activated in vcds that would present a warning light when dpf regen active or could I wire up some form of indicator?

Sounds bazzar I know :)

Thanks as always

Don't know whether its true or not but basically, The chap that remapped my car said if you sit on the motor way in like 4th gear and sit at or over 2500revs then the regen will start and will take 5mins.. so basically if you are going through towns and stuff it wont be able to regen as it needs a good run.

Again I don't know whether its true or not but hey.. if it does clog up just take it onto the motor way and give it a good blast.

I know when my car is doing a regen tho because the exhaust goes very very loud :D

On my 2008 sline the glow plug light started to flash. Drive the car over 2500 in a lower gear for 15-20 mins. When you stop the engine fan should be operating. This is a forced re gen I think.

On my 2008 sline the glow plug light started to flash. Drive the car over 2500 in a lower gear for 15-20 mins. When you stop the engine fan should be operating. This is a forced re gen I think.

Sadly this isn't correct, you have a fault
The glow plug light flashing is an indicator of a fault whilst driving or stationary
The time at which it's a constant (cold mornings briefly) is when it's activating the glow plugs to start the engine easier

I suggest you get your car to your preferred mechanic or have someone scan I tuning a genuine VCDDS cable

The whole active regen system is absolutely pony imho.

The system should be much more interactive, indicate when it is on, and why i.e. display % clogged up in the DIS). It should also provide some means to either trigger or delay the regen.

I just got to the end of a 30 mile drive today, and of course the regen starts just as I'm pulling into my garage so gets interrupted. If there was a delay option I could trigger it tomorrow morning when I do another 30 mile drive.

I only use the car for long runs anyway, the minimum average journey is 30 miles, and I don't drive like an old lady so no idea why I get as many regens as I do.

Crap system.

Reactions: benjie
The forced re gen fixed it. Audi told me that's what the flashing glow plug signifies. It's been fine for months now.

The forced re gen fixed it. Audi told me that's what the flashing glow plug signifies. It's been fine for months now.

Sadly, as is getting more too common, your Audi dealer spun you a line !

The flashing glow plug light means one thing, a problem, slightly minor than a permanent fault that you the engine management light on but still an indicator of an issue
For example, my A6 3.0tdi quattro auto (09 plate) facelift kept getting the flashing coil light .... after weeks at my audi dealership, countless test drives and looking for faulty parts ect...... they replaced the fuel system (complete)and i mean EVERYTHING), got the car back, less than 20 miles driving that day, flashing coil light. In the end, turned out to be a fault fuel pump relay - changed for a new item, problem sorted
No EML was displayed other than the flashing coil light - it did on this occasion store a fault code each time when read with VDCS and audi's computers BUT my point being it was a minor fault

I do about 1000 miles a week, varied driving conditions - very regular DPF regen's of both volume based initiations and perpetual regens when cruising at a constant speed
Even after an odd two(isn) week of solely around town use and no fully completed regen's not once did i have a coil light flash.
i run my car with a DTUK CRD-T tuning box, circa 280/290bhp, so soot loadings will accumulate faster than stock

Just my 2 pence ..... what do i know, draw your own conclusions

HIH

Tom

I'd have thought running the car with more bhp would make the engine run hotter? With less soot build up as it would be getting burned off....however I've been driving slightly harder than norm lately and mine done another re gen today after just a couple thousand miles after the previous. Fact is, the dpf is the worst invention the car industry has ever had to do!!

... and it's the same across manufacturers as well, I was talking to a colleague a few weeks back with a 7 series BMW, he was about to write the car off due to DPF issues, until I explained what his options were and pointed him at BMWland.

It cost him a bit I think but then as he was actually considering buying a new car he's saved quite a bit...

I am getting more concerned about the fact I have no idea when my car is doing a regen !!!! How on earth do I tell when it is ?? And if infact it is the DPF that's stops my car kicking out all that black crap I see every day when a TDI driver drops the hammer then it's the best thing ever to come from TDI development .... :) IMO ..... :)