2G to 3G. Costly?

Djwoody

Reaction score
Hi.
I've been looking to change my A3 for a B8 A4 and most of them come with the 2G Nav.
I have the RNSE in my A3 and I love having all my music on the SD cards.

Is there any way of adding SD Card slots to the 2G or would I have to upgrade the whole system to 3G MMI?
Sounds costly.

Thanks
Chris

It does depend what age of car you are looking and where you are looking.

The Audi dealers are not always terribly good at identifying which type of SatNav is fitted on their used ads and the confusing build code structure used by Audi does not help. Thus many cars advertised as having DVD Navigation are in fact fitted with the Technology Pack - which is 3G.

The first video here is useful (How to tell.....).

Hope this helps.

It does depend what age of car you are looking and where you are looking.

The Audi dealers are not always terribly good at identifying which type of SatNav is fitted on their used ads and the confusing build code structure used by Audi does not help. Thus many cars advertised as having DVD Navigation are in fact fitted with the Technology Pack - which is 3G.

The first video here is useful (How to tell.....).

Hope this helps.

Can't access the video on my phone but will check when I get home tonight thanks.

Am I right in saying the only system with SD cards slots is the one with Audi Multimedia in the centre console?
A lot of the ones I have seen, just have the CD Changer there.

Apologies if this is mentioned in the video.

Hi.
I've been looking to change my A3 for a B8 A4 and most of them come with the 2G Nav.
I have the RNSE in my A3 and I love having all my music on the SD cards.

Is there any way of adding SD Card slots to the 2G or would I have to upgrade the whole system to 3G MMI?
Sounds costly.

Thanks
Chris

you can buy an audio and video interface for the 2g mmi , which gives you usb option plus the option for video nput ,eg xbox ,reverse camera.

Save up and wait for a car with 3G MMI installed .... if you have the patience :)

Last edited:
FWIW, Hazzydayz are charging £2274.00 fitted for 2G to 3G Basic (dvd nav) with no other extras such as AMI or DAB.

For 2G to 3G High (HDD Nav) it's £2634 fitted without any other options.

Either save a bit harder for a car with 3G fitted or use one of the above suggestions for aftermarket solutions.

you can buy an audio and video interface for the 2g mmi , which gives you usb option plus the option for video nput ,eg xbox ,reverse camera.

Thanks for all your replies, I'll try and source a car with 3G I think.

Does anyone have the link for the Audio and Video Interface that you can use with the 2G MMI?

FYI, a quick way to tell the difference:

2G MMI has a 6cd changer in the dash (if it has Audi Music Interface - AMI, it's in the glove box, you can use a memory stick just as you would an SD card in RNSE) and a flat rotary control knob.

3G MMI - SD card slots in dash behind the little panel thing and a little dimpled joystick thing on top of the rotary control knob.

I'm converting my A6 at the moment from 2G to 3G, so far my cost are £640, which includes the screen, HDD nav, CD-Changer, DAB Radio, Aerial, microphones and cables. I've been able to make my own harness's and fit everything myself which has reduced the costs, but I still need to add the TV tuner and a trip to Audi to removed CP so add another £400. So in total I'm looking at a bill of just over £1,000.

Like any mod to a deprecating asset it's never worth it, but I should be able to sell all my old 2G hardware for over £600, already sold my old AMI for £160 so should get another £400 for the nav, BT and DAB modules, then still have the control head and screen to sell. So with a bit of luck my 3G setup will end up being around £300-£400, I think looks far better than the 2G setup and it an interesting project if you like the tech side. Would have rather fitted the 4G setup but the problem is fitting the controls in the centre console.