RPM Question

Point_Audi

Vorsprung durch Technik
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Morning All,

This morning something a bit strange and weird happened.

When I was traveling to work this morning and I was joining the motorway I slightly accelerated in 4th gear and once the revs came to 2000rpm they slight rose to about 2200/2400rpm then fell back to what they should in that gear. Its hard to describe really, but car pulls fine in all gears and there is no lagging or any issues with driving gear selection is fine also.

I had stopped at the local shop for the paper, and when I restarted the car it didn't do this, but in saying that I wasn't going past 30mph.

This has never happened before and the car drives/accelerates without any issues.

I was just wondering if this is anything to worry about or if any of you guys have come across a similar issue?

Cheers

Last edited:
Is it a manual or auto?

If it's manual it sounds like your clutch is slipping.
That means it's on it's way out and needs replacing

Its a manual mate!

Don't have any other issues with the clutch though, car still under warranty!

Are you sure you didnt accidentally press the clutch pedal a touch?

Its a manual mate!

Don't have any other issues with the clutch though, car still under warranty!

Ah that's not good then. What mileage is your car at?
Clutch normally isn't a warranty item so audi will try their hardest not to replace it for free but I'm sure if you fight it and claim premature wear/manufacture defect they will replace it as a goodwill gesture?

Reactions: Point_Audi
Ah that's not good then. What mileage is your car at?
Clutch normally isn't a warranty item so audi will try their hardest not to replace it for free but I'm sure if you fight it and claim premature wear/manufacture defect they will replace it as a goodwill gesture?

Thanks Kane, yea I know the clutch is one of those items not covered under the warranty! :( I just think its a bit strange this is the first time its done anything weird like this on 65000.

As Allan said its a possibility that I might have accidentally pressed the clutch slightly. I will see what its like traveling home, I hope its not the clutch though as everything with the car is perfect! :)

Cheers

I had a SEAT Ibiza that did this, the clutch was knacked and slipping. :(

Mine started like that but gradually got worse over a couple months it was the clutch and mine was under 50k which cost £850 for clutch & flywheel replaced. Warranty wouldn't cover a clutch I don't think not at that mileage.

That happened to me when mine went at 27000, the car was still under warranty but warranty does not cover the clutch. Audi were after charging me £1900 and was willing to put £1000 towards it good will gesture if it hadn't of been remapped that would of been £900 but still then it was cheaper to get it done at an independent garage (A personal friend) for £800 using the same parts (Clutch & Flywheel)

Is your car remapped ?
If your at 65000 miles aren't you out of warranty anyway ?

Thanks for the replies guys!

I got the car from Audis Approved Used Car selection so you get a years warranty with that.

No the car hasn't been remapped or had any tuning boxes fitted. I am very surprised, to be honest, asI had a B6 A4 before and never had any trouble with the clutch!.. I will see how the car drives home, from reading around about slipping clutches I not noticing any other signs.

I will plug the car into the computer later just to make sure no faults are logged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Dynamik
Dont let it get much worse or it may start slipping all the time and you will have to be recovered, adding to the cost of repair :(

Thanks for the replies guys!

I got the car from Audis Approved Used Car selection so you get a years warranty with that.

No the car hasn't been remapped or had any tuning boxes fitted. I am very surprised, to be honest, asI had a B6 A4 before and never had any trouble with the clutch!.. I will see how the car drives home, from reading around about slipping clutches I not noticing any other signs.

I will plug the car into the computer later just to make sure no faults are logged.

You could try this when you get home but don't do it more than once. If it's on it's way out you might kill it. When stationary, go into 3rd or 4th then try to move off, give it a little more gas as it struggles. If you can move off all may be ok - don't be tempted to do it again to double check though. Just accept the happy outcome! On the other hand if, as it struggles, when you give it a little more gas, instead of moving off at all it stalls then it's safe to say that is not a happy clutch.

Take the advice of this idiot at your own risk but good luck!

You could try this when you get home but don't do it more than once. If it's on it's way out you might kill it. When stationary, go into 3rd or 4th then try to move off, give it a little more gas as it struggles. If you can move off all may be ok - don't be tempted to do it again to double check though. Just accept the happy outcome! On the other hand if, as it struggles, when you give it a little more gas, instead of moving off at all it stalls then it's safe to say that is not a happy clutch.

Take the advice of this idiot at your own risk but good luck!

Oh, and don't admit to having done it if you do need to go back to dealer and plead your case.

If it sets off in 4th then surely the clutch is slippingto allow you to set off and if it stalls then it must be ok are you sure you have got that the rite way round ???

If it sets off in 4th then surely the clutch is slippingto allow you to set off and if it stalls then it must be ok are you sure you have got that the rite way round ???

The best way I've always been told to test the clutch is to do about 35-40 in 4th gear and floor it.
You will soon see if you have a slipping clutch.
Don't do this too much though as it puts a lot of strain on the clutch (peak torque area)

Reactions: Point_Audi and SI-W85
Cheers for the help guys.

I plugged the car into the computer just to make sure there weren't any faults logged on the system, and all was clear.

I wanted to check to make sure the clutch wasn't anything to be concerned about, so I took the car up to my trusted mechanic and he went for a test drive. He said that everything with the clutch is fine, it was not slipping for him and he tested all gears at different speeds and when accelerating there was no hesitation and that revs matched the speed fine. He also tested moving off in 3rd/4th the car moved about an inch then just stalled, he said that would indicate that the clutch is working as it should.

He described how the revs would go if the clutch was slipping and I haven't experienced that.

All I got was a slight rise, so say you are in 4th gear at 2000rpm and you put the foot down the rev needle moved to the first bar between 2000/3000rpm quickly like a wee flick but car accelerated ok and the revs moved through the range as it should. If that makes any sense I am useless at describing!lol

It might have done this before but I honestly never noticed.

Thanks

Last edited:
The best way I've always been told to test the clutch is to do about 35-40 in 4th gear and floor it.
Don't do this too much though as it puts a lot of strain on the clutch (peak torque area)

Yes that's the best way to check for clutch slip maybe a higher gear than needed and dip the clutch.

Doh! You are correct. Reading it back I did put it back to front. I did mention I was an idiot.

I engaged brain before typing but my mental clutch must be slipping. Maybe the safest and more conclusive tests are driving at 40+ ish on a dual carriageway and then change up and down one or twice keeping the gas steady but push it through the changes. Note the rev behaviour. If the revs are at all erratic and generally rapid upwards and 'peaky' with sudden engine braking then it becomes apparent summats up.
Of course the other thing of note is your fuel economy gets hammered in town driving with an iffy clutch. You glug through fuel in stop start driving and tend to notice that junctions and roundabouts seem like hard work as you struggle to push through the hesitation.
Most folk are so used to driving with the radio or music on they have little or no idea what the car is supposed to sound like. It can scare some folk to half to death if they turn off the music and suddenly notice all the subtle groaning and whining that goes on in a healthy and well serviced car.

Don't want to worry you but your symptoms sound like how mine started as I said over time they gradually got worse but one day it would missbehave then be fine for a few days I even tried every way I knew how to make it slip and couldn't for the life in me get it to slip then come to it the next time and it would be slipping again then eventually it was constant so I had a new clutch & flywheel also an arm of some description to do with the clutch was fitted and it's been fine ever since. Hope your your wallets sake yours isn't the same lol

Yea I know what you mean mrose, I would usually be one of those folks who has their radio turned down or muted, I like cruising along with just the engine noise, strange I know!lol

I hope it isn't mate as I don't want to start dishing out money for a new clutch! :(

But during the tests last night the revs performed as expected with the gear selection and the engine speed increased with the revs. There was no erratic revs at all and the car performed as expected, it was just the wee flick of the needle that got me concerned as to why it did that when I pushed the accelerator.

I will see if I can get a short video later as I think my description maybe a bit misleading.

But judging by what you guys are saying/what I read online and what my mechanic said I don't feel it is a slipping clutch as the symptoms don't seem to be there!:uhm:

Is it possible it could be a bad batch of fuel perhaps? As the car was just filled the day before!

Thanks

Last edited:
Yea I know what you mean mrose, I would usually be one of those folks who has their radio turned down or muted, I like cruising along with just the engine noise, strange I know!lol

I hope it isn't mate as I don't want to start dishing out money for a new clutch! :(

But during the tests last night the revs performed as expected with the gear selection and the engine speed increased with the revs. There was no erratic revs at all and the car performed as expected, it was just the wee flick of the needle that got me concerned as to why it did that when I pushed the accelerator.

I will see if I can get a short video later as I think my description maybe a bit misleading.

But judging by what you guys are saying/what I read online and what my mechanic said I don't feel it is a slipping clutch as the symptoms don't seem to be there!:uhm:

Is it possible it could be a bad batch of fuel perhaps? As the car was just filled the day before!

Thanks

Was it close to dry before filling up? Strange things can happen after you've been running on the dregs. Here's hoping it was just one of those weird glitches we see from time to time.

I tried your suggestion this evening Kane and the car instantly pulled without any hesitation and the revs were 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89
Was it close to dry before filling up? Strange things can happen after you've been running on the dregs. Here's hoping it was just one of those weird glitches we see from time to time.

I regularly run my tank down to zero range, even go as far as 30 miles at zero range. Mine never mis behaves.

If it was a fuelling issue the revs to speed would not change, you would just notice a lack of power, just like you do when cresting a hill in a B8 (but not B8.5) when it cuts the power for a fraction.

I regularly run my tank down to zero range, even go as far as 30 miles at zero range.

Blimey Zafi, you must like walking about looking for petrol stations ;-)

Lol I've never ran mine anywhere near that far down the closest I get before a refill is 60 miles will never go less I will even refill at 100 mile if if I'm passing the garage, never run so low that bottom bit of fuel isn't good for your car.

Yea I would never run the car that low on fuel its not good sucking the dirt from the bottom of the tank! I never have even in my petrol A4! Would always fill at 1/4 tank!..

Yea I would never run the car that low on fuel its not good sucking the dirt from the bottom of the tank! I never have even in my petrol A4! Would always fill at 1/4 tank!..
I think OPs main point was that sludge in your fuel filter or air in the fuel system would be unlikely to cause the revs to rise like the glitch you saw Point_Audi - which is a fair point. I always top up before the bong too. I did once try to make it home after getting caught out at empty with full boot load of firewood. Less then 10 miles when I noticed it was empty but the last couple of miles was absolutely thrilling! LOL