New to forum and Audi

Sarge17

Reaction score
Good evening ladies and gents,

It looks as though i will be joining the club in the new future having yesterday put down a deposit on a 2009 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI SE.

I'm sure i will be bothering you all with newbie questions that i'm sure will irritate you with. Apologies in advance.

The 1st question (and quite an important one) is to do with an HPI check. I saw the car advertised and thought it had a private plate, when i got to see it i discovered it was in fact registered originally in Northern Ireland. The ad stated it had passed an HPI check but i must admit i forgot to see this document before handing over the deposit. So i thought i'd have a quick look at some of the freebie phone apps that do this. Two of which is just stuck on the "performing search" screen, the other lists the very basic data but states the year being July 2012. When entering the Reg into a insurance website earlier this week it said the same (i thought nothing of it).

They gave me the tear off part of the V5C/2 document in case i wanted to tax it before picking it up, and it's listed on there as 2009. So basically should i be at all concerned and is it worth paying for a proper HPI check or just put it down to a rubbish app?

Thanks in advance for any help

Reactions: Sandra
well pay for a full check and get the info you need
god id never part with even a grand without doing a check around a tenner

oh and welcome

Welcome to audi-sport.net. You will find us very friendly and helpful. Good luck with your purchase. Enjoy the forum, :) x

Thanks for the warm welcome. Well i took the plunge and did an AA HPI check and thankfully its fine. The confusion has come when the car had a the current REG registered in 2012, previously it had a more familiar plate, neither of which have flagged up any issues, thankfully. :thumbsup:

So to my next question…. The car has the Audi MMI as you'd expect but doesn't have the in built Nav or iPod/iphone connector. Does anyone know of any leads/connecters that could read the music off the phone but also integrate the phones Maps application through the MMI?

cant get the maps to screen from phone
only way is an expensive retro fit
or a 500 aftermarket that is plug an play with your oem set up and works very good
someone will be along to tell you the options for set up for phone.

So to my next question…. The car has the Audi MMI as you'd expect but doesn't have the in built Nav or iPod/iphone connector. Does anyone know of any leads/connecters that could read the music off the phone but also integrate the phones Maps application through the MMI?

So it looks as though i am unable to use the phones nav and the audio at the same time. So i just began looking into just getting an iPod/iPhone connecting kit so i could play music through the mmi and was quoted £529!!! Had a similar kit fitted in my (non Audi) last car for about £80.

I guess i should have researched this better before hand, having said that most cars for sale (including mine) say "with Mp3 facility". Does this just mean "there is a kit available but you'll need to re-mortgage" or is it referring to the AUX port in the arm rest?

How has other iPhone/smart phone users got around this?

I guess i should have researched this better before hand, having said that most cars for sale (including mine) say "with Mp3 facility".

These days it generally means the SD card slot. Or the CD player can playback mp3 from disc.