Best engine oil for Tdi

SI-W85

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked which I'm sure it has but I can't find it here, anyway my oil gauge says its only half full and it isn't due a service for 9k so it needs a top up so basically what is the best oil to use 2.0tdi 143 manual S-line 2010 also I am unsure as to what oil was used when it was done last so is it ok to just top up with the new oil or would it be recommended to change completely???

Cool I'll get some ordered think ill just change the oil for new lol can't do any harm that's for sure. Cheers Karl :)

What's the absolute best oil to use? Or is it down to personnel opinion?

Well the last time I changed the oil in my car I bought the Castrol Edge FST that I linked to in the previous post. The seller is only 3 miles up the road from me so I collected and paid cash so £50 for 8L which is pretty good.
The 3.0 TDI engine uses about 7.5 L for a full oil change so I was buying 2 cans of oil whatever I bought.
Quantum is made by Castrol for VAG and is pretty much the same oil as the FST. I think it may be missing a few of the extra additives.
They both meet the same 507.00 spec and are both specified for diesels with DPF.

Karl.

Ok thanks again Karl, do you know how much oil mine requires? Also you say for Diesel engine with DPF why is it that it states DPF? As I am soon to be removing mine.

Cars that use a DPF should use oil that has low ash when it burns so it doesn't clog the DPF.
They are called low SAPS oils

Low SAPS lubricants

The fact that you are removing the DPF doesn't make any difference to the oil you use, I have no DPF on mine.
Googled a few pages and it seems the oil capacity in you car is 4.3L

Karl.

I used Mobil 1 esp for mine, bought off e-bay.

Rite that's interesting about the certain oil for dpf's, typical would be 4.3 ltr lol so 2 bottles needed ha cheers

I used castrol edge 5/30 for a top up, simply because it's probably what it's been using (£28 on eBay for 4ltr, some guy from Ireland)
However most of the market brand stuff can be just as good as they are rebranded items for sale it supermarkets.

The proper oil is not that expensive in the first place. I see no point in saving £5 on oil on a car worth 5-10k.On the off chance that the oil is the same or similar.
Oil is the lifeblood of the engine and putting cheap stuff in can be a real false economy. I appreciate some people driving around in 2.0 TFSI engine cars using 1L in 1000 miles the oil isn't in the engine long enough to degrade so they may choose to use cheaper stuff but you can buy long life 3 in larger tubs.

Quantum III 5w/30 LONGLIFE 3 AUDI VW C3 LOW ASH CASTROL EDGE - 20 Ltr Engine Oil | eBay

Last edited:
My 2.0TFSI uses quite abit of oil however i still use Castrol Edge FST 5W30. I bought my last bottle from Costco, 4l for £25 which isnt bad.

Just been to halfrords they wanted £46 for 4 ltr but I managed to get them to price match so I got it for £31.99 :)

Well done! What did you have to show them for Halfords to price match? £31.99 is cheaper than trade card price.

BTW Look what Audi website recommends ;)
Audi oil < Servicing and MOT < Owners Area < Audi

Interesting link. Classic quote on that Audi page:

"If you wait until the oil light comes on it is often too late"

So what are Audi saying there?
"Our oil warning system is next to useless and really ought to be recalibrated to come on when the oil is low but before the engine is totally shafted. Instead our warning system waits till the oil level is way below minimum so we can stiff you thousands to rebuild your engine."

I just noticed it really and it made me wonder.

TBH the £18.50 they're asking for the 1l Castrol might be worth it as a one off to get the natty Audi 1l size pouch with Velcro - bugs me that there really isn't anywhere for me to store a small top up bottle in my Avant other than rattling around by the radio on tthe left, the fuse / relay carrier on the right or battering about free on the boot floor. One of these days something's going deep fry itself ;-)

Well done! What did you have to show them for Halfords to price match? £31.99 is cheaper than trade card price.

BTW Look what Audi website recommends ;)
Audi oil < Servicing and MOT < Owners Area < Audi

I just googled it on my iphone and showed them a link I think it was for car parts for less at £31.99 I found it for a little less on eBay but for a couple quid its worth getting there and then.

Reactions: Zafi

"Our oil warning system is next to useless and really ought to be recalibrated to come on when the oil is low but before the engine is totally shafted. Instead our warning system waits till the oil level is way below minimum so we can stiff you thousands to rebuild your engine."

TBH the £18.50 they're asking for the 1l Castrol might be worth it as a one off to get the natty Audi 1l size pouch with Velcro - bugs me that there really isn't anywhere for me to store a small top up bottle in my Avant other than rattling around by the radio on tthe left, the fuse / relay carrier on the right or battering about free on the boot floor. One of these days something's going deep fry itself ;-)

Will a 1ltr bottle not fit in with the spare wheel? Or does the avant not have the little cubby hole on the left of the boot where the amp is as I could prob fit the 4ltr bottle in there along with my torque wrench, copper slip, washer fluid that's already in there lol

The B8 Avant has loads of room for a 1L bottle of oil as you say by the amp in the cubby hole on the left, in the spare wheel well.

I can get my towbar to the left of the spare wheel, so loads of space for a 1 litre bottle of oil. But as I drive a 2 litre diesel I don't have to top up between oil changes, so don't carry oil ;)

I just googled it on my iphone and showed them a link I think it was for car parts for less at £31.99 I found it for a little less on eBay but for a couple quid its worth getting there and then.
Cheers, I will try that. Just bought some Mobil 1 last week :( Will take that back.

Don't get confused between:

oil level warning - perfectly safe to drive until the MMI tells you level is low as there is still lots of oil in the sump

oil pressure light - time to rebuild the engine as you have let it run so low the oil pump cant suck up any oil or the oil pump shaft has worn away or engine wear is excessive or the non genuine oil filter you fitted has broken up or your head gasket has gone and emulsion has blocked your oil filter etc...............

I only have an 2011 Audi A1 1.6tdi on mine but I use the Shell helix hs8 ect 5w-30. I use fuel from shell as well V-power diesel which is a good combination to my experience. Less rattle & noise on engine being a diesel, improved performance & less fuel consumption as well. I suppose its personal preference on brands but VAG recommends oils thats approved by them 504.00 & 507.00. I used the same oil & fuel for my 2013 mercedes b180 cdi as it has MB approval 229.31 & 229.51