mmi 3g issues

dably

Reaction score
hi guys I have a 2010 avant special edition with full 3g mmi and things seem to be disappearing from the display and functions not working wondering if it needs go in to the dealer for a update any one got any ideas to help the temp gauge now does not show on centre screen and the iphone syncs yet the last number dialled received well all but directpry show up any help would be appreciated

the factory reset for Bluetooth and other in settings yes but still no dif just lost my saved numbers and nav setting and had to re pair phone I sthere another reset ?

im sure there is a bulletin regarding some of the above mentioned issues with MMI 3g.. and if I remember correctly there is a SVM update to remedy the fault. best to contact your dealer or drop in and ask if theres a mastertech available to chat to to discuss your issue with before booking in.. they should be able to tell you..

thanks guys tried the mmi reset and still the same now other things have turned up on my screen like brake assist and others disappeared light the exterior light function and clock disappeared think I will call into my dealer tomorrow

I would make sure they look at anywhere where water could be getting in or leaking. Any chance the plenum below the windscreen is blocked with leaves and crud so water isn't draining? Have you seen heavy condensation on the inside of the windscreen at all lately? Also look for signs of water staining in the luggage compartment left where the radio / amp is.

The sort of random and intermittent weird behaviour you describe is often caused by water ingress and penetration into the connectors in electronic systems made up of separate modules joined by a control network. Intermittent shorts on the CAN bus or the like.

Important note: do you have the Air Con on all the time? There was a Tech Service Bulletin on an issue with the evaporator drain pipe where it is is badly fitted causing moisture to get into the cabin behind the dash and into the footwell. Your CAN gateway is in there to the left of the front centre console and your 5F information module and harnesses are in there (not to mention a few other control modules) which may explain why some functions from some separate modules located elsewhere on the car are disappearing and appearing again - like brake assist, and the convenience module functions. If moisture is getting in it will condense on any smooth hard surface like the metal dash mounting as the temp drops overnight. Once it forms heavy droplets it'll flow along any continuous route like pipes and cables and end up pooling and seeping into the gaps between plugs and sockets.

Deffo worth checking properly. Look for slight signs of rusting, corrosion, or patching on bare metal edges and corners on the 5F box. Easy to pop it out with couple of radio keys and have a look before you go to the dealer.

Better still find someone local who has VCDS and PM them to ask for a scan before you go to the dealer. If i'm on the right track there will be DTC errors aplenty to give you some pointers to avoid the dealer diagnosing it for hours then trying to quote you for whole new MMI!