Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By warren_S5
  • 1 Post By Zafi
  • 1 Post By Audi Toby!

Thread: Brushed Steel Wrap

6th Gear

Status

Brushed Steel Wrap

Found an old roll of Brushed Steel wrap in the garage so thought I would see what it looked like ..... your thoughts

A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Looking good!

Very similar to the brushed ally on my 13 s-line, but it will be harder wearing because that Audi brushed ally scratches dead easy.

Status
    Like. On A5OC someone has wrapped a complete car in it (USA car)
    Macdoon likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status
    Do you take the trim off to wrap it? If not, how do you cut the edge to the correct length to tuck it it??

6th Gear

Status
    Comparison

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafi View Post
    Do you take the trim off to wrap it? If not, how do you cut the edge to the correct length to tuck it it??
    Quite experienced at wrapping now lol, the key is to cut an amount maybe 10mm larger all round to allow enough to get hold of to stretch.
    A hair dryer to warm the vinyl as you go, warm and gently stretch over and behind corners and sharp angles, have a go with a small bit of vinyl (buy an A4 size sheet from ebay), it's not that difficult pal

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    hmm not sure
    better than the crap oem fishschale

2nd Gear

Status
    Do you fit it by stretching all the way into the groove between dash and trim, then go round the edge with a knife?

I have fitted loads of decal kits on MX bikes, but never done anything on car trim.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    hmm not sure
    better than the crap oem fishschale
    Thankfully don't have the fishscale lol
    But I definately prefer the darker look, that said Bez, I have a guy who's gonna hydrodip them for me in an "out there" marble streak style to see what it looks like.......... must pack all this modding in lol

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Its not bad tbh, but I do wonder if the contrast is a bit clashing.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Like. On A5OC someone has wrapped a complete car in it (USA car)
    Would be a good mod for a tatty Delorean because they are a pain to get rid of finger prints and scuff marks.
    warren_S5 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Hmm, front grill would look good in that.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafi View Post
    Do you fit it by stretching all the way into the groove between dash and trim, then go round the edge with a knife?

I have fitted loads of decal kits on MX bikes, but never done anything on car trim.
    Form it over the edges and behind the trims, then trim off the excess, for the angles and corners warm the vinyl and stretch it over and behind the trim then trim the excess, I use a small blade

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tinka View Post
    Hmm, front grill would look good in that.
    Did the front splitter on my old B7 in it, looked really good

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Its not bad tbh, but I do wonder if the contrast is a bit clashing.
    See where your coming from Nigel

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    Thankfully don't have the fishscale lol
    But I definately prefer the darker look, that said Bez, I have a guy who's gonna hydrodip them for me in an "out there" marble streak style to see what it looks like.......... must pack all this modding in lol
    my pal does the hydro dip
    and it looks very good but that said i dont think it looks good enough to put in my car.
    iv remover a few trims from other ppls cars when iv fitted things for them and the feel and close up its just not right but i cant explain what it is.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    my pal does the hydro dip
    and it looks very good but that said i dont think it looks good enough to put in my car.
    iv remover a few trims from other ppls cars when iv fitted things for them and the feel and close up its just not right but i cant explain what it is.
    Be interesting to see how it turns out, I know what you mean tho', i have seen a few wee bits done on Bikes and they look a bit strange close up like a worn look and a bit like orange peel

Status
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    That looks the mutts, done seriously well... striking

B8 A4 S-Line

Status
    Here's mine which i wrapped in 'faux' suede/alacantara, removed the trims, applied with spray pva adhesive, trimmed to fit and refitted.

Last edited by Audi Toby!; 22nd April 2014 at 01:58.
    Cuppa likes this.
    2009 (B8/8K) A4 S-Line - 2.0TDI (CAGA) 143PS.

Monza Silver, Special Line, Full Milano Leather, Sport Suspension (1BE), AMI + Bluetooth/Voice Prep, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen (Upgraded/Improved), Audi Titanium Grey Wheel Refurb, Team HEKO Wind Deflectors, VCDS'ed, Ambiance Lighting Retrofit, Cruise Control Retrofit, (ADS) Audi Drive Select Retrofit.
    -
    Find me on the 'official' VCDS map >>
    http://goo.gl/5NrQwS<<

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi Toby! View Post
    Here's mine which i wrapped in 'faux' suede/alacantara, removed the trims, applied with spray pva adhesive, trimmed to fit and refitted.

Toby....... I'm not liking you very much pal....... grrrr where did you get the alacantara.... damn it feel a another change coming on lol.

Looks great pal, how difficult to get the trim off from the centre console

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    Looks great pal, how difficult to get the trim off from the centre console
    Dead easy and quick......

check out this thread on Audizine>> so F*cking pissed!!!!!!

B8 A4 S-Line

Status

Brushed Steel Wrap

Last edited by Audi Toby!; 22nd April 2014 at 13:21.

Monza Silver, Special Line, Full Milano Leather, Sport Suspension (1BE), AMI + Bluetooth/Voice Prep, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen (Upgraded/Improved), Audi Titanium Grey Wheel Refurb, Team HEKO Wind Deflectors, VCDS'ed, Ambiance Lighting Retrofit, Cruise Control Retrofit, (ADS) Audi Drive Select Retrofit.
    -

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi Toby! View Post

Not seen that done before - very nice!
    S5 Supercharged V8 Coupe - Meteor Grey / Magma - click for build thread - Facebook Page

TTS Supercharger (601PS / 664Nm) | Capristo Exhaust | KW DDC Coilovers | JHM Short-Throw Shifter | RS5 bootlid
    HRE P104 21x10.5" + PSS | Ceramics (R8 GT Front / S7 Rear) | RS5 bumper/grille | custom stereo and lots more | Fuelly

B8 A4 S-Line

Status

Brushed Steel Wrap

I purchased the Alacantara in my local home store (the range) and I bought a 2x2m piece. Just make sure it's the 'non backed' material as some have a cheap white backing on the material.

Really easy job, centre console came out really easy. Just make sure you don't miss any bolts out and also be very gentle! Unlike the guide, I used a plastic trim tool to prevent scratching.

http://ocarbon.com/blog/2010/06/b8-a...removal-guide/

-

6th Gear

Status
    Excellent, I'll be in the range this week then lol

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit SI-W85's Instagram Channel
    Never seen this fish scale can somebody please post a pic just so I know what it looks like?
    Custom stainless straight through quad pipe, S5 brake callipers, Black diamond grooved discs, red stuff pads, S4 diffuser, EGR delete, stage 1 remap, 19" staggered X5 wheels, G23 custom adaptors, stretched tyres, window tints, coilovers, vag com mods, K&N, led interior lights, led number plate bulbs, pressed plates, black edition grill. Plenty more to be done.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SI-W85 View Post
    Never seen this fish scale can somebody please post a pic just so I know what it looks like?
    Had it on my old B7
    I'll try and find a better pic, you might be able to zoom in Si

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    its like carbon effect if you look very close

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit SI-W85's Instagram Channel
    Rite its hard to tell but looks ok from the pics I was expecting something awful that looks like side of a trout stuck on the dash lol
    Custom stainless straight through quad pipe, S5 brake callipers, Black diamond grooved discs, red stuff pads, S4 diffuser, EGR delete, stage 1 remap, 19" staggered X5 wheels, G23 custom adaptors, stretched tyres, window tints, coilovers, vag com mods, K&N, led interior lights, led number plate bulbs, pressed plates, black edition grill. Plenty more to be done.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SI-W85 View Post
    Rite its hard to tell but looks ok from the pics I was expecting something awful that looks like side of a trout stuck on the dash lol
    it dont look to bad but ist is kind like the side of a trout

B8 A4 S-Line

Status
    Is this what you're talking about?? I had it in a courtesy car once, I've cropped the photo and tried to clean it up a bit.

-

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    thats the one

B8 A4 S-Line

Status

Brushed Steel Wrap

I was quite fond of it. Looked like it would withstand the usual wear and tear better than some other options!

-