A4 Avant - Rear Bike Carrier Recommendations

mpc

Reaction score
Hello,

As the title suggests can anyone please recommend a good rear cycle carrier for 2-3 bikes that will fit an A4 Avant S-Line that's fitted with a rear window spoiler.

I know I can use the roof rack but I need to carry 4 bikes - 2 on roof - 2 on rear hopefully.

Thanks

Towbar is likely safest option - though of course costly for initial outlay.

I went that tow bar route and use an Atera hitch mounted rack - it's the best setup I've used from many vehicle and rack configurations and they go up to 4 bike options. Clears the boot nicely too which is a great feature.

You say yours clears the boot? I take it you don't have an estate then?

Thule do a few towbar mounted ones, up to 4 bikes, most have a fold down option so you can get into the boot. I've got the 2 bike model with integrated light bar which was only about £90 from Amazon a couple of years back, it's good value but they can go up to a few hundred.
I've had a few thule bike racks, roofbars and boxes over the years, always found them of good quality.

Would recommend the towbar option, it's solid and easy to fit, tailgate mounted ones always seem to loosen of and you risk damaging the car or loosing a bike!

Towbar is likely safest option - though of course costly for initial outlay.

I went that tow bar route and use an Atera hitch mounted rack - it's the best setup I've used from many vehicle and rack configurations and they go up to 4 bike options. Clears the boot nicely too which is a great feature.

I think the avant s line comes with removable towbar? Well mine does as it is in the boot, might just be lucky.

You say yours clears the boot? I take it you don't have an estate then?

Sorry, tailgate. I do indeed have an Avant - fitted towbar and electrics myself as it wasn't ticked on mine and I got quickly tired of hauling my mud covered rig up above my polished roof :-(

Earlier this year I stumbled across a website called Best Car Bike Rack when I was searching for an A3 Bike Rack, It covered most Audi's. The article you are looking for is called ' Audi A4 Avant Bike Rack ' it contained loads of useful info with pros and cons of each bike carrier etc. I have linked to the relevant page above. Hope this helps !! :friendly wink:

Last edited:
If anyone wants a B'Twin 320 3 bike rack from Decathlon, I've used mine once and will sell for £55.