How do I remove the fog light covers?

flipmyflipper

Reaction score
Probably been asked a 1000's times but have been searching and have found nothing useful sorry. I want to change my standard H11's and have fallen at the first hurdle. It was just one screw on my golf!

Much easier to go through the arches! Turn the wheel, undo the 2 screws, pull the lining away and there you are. 5 mins and you will have both done.

I couldn't get the grill off my facelift B8, but on pre facelift it was a stern pull.

Reactions: flipmyflipper
I just use the little ring tool in the boot and pull the fog light cover off and you have access to them straight away. That's the way the manual says to do it, think having to get in through the wheel arch would be a lot more work?

I went through the front grill. But next time I'll probably go through the wheel arches, as it was such a hard pull (without much grip).

I had a go at pulling the front off as well and it was insanely hard, I couldn't even pull it off.... although I was using an alan key and a pair of pliers.

I thought that ring tool was to take off the centre hub caps off?

Attachments

• Hubcap.jpg
    Hubcap.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 371
They just pull straight off!

I could not do this on mine ..... I had a really good go at pulling them off to the point when it felt like something was going to snap, they may be different on the black edition face lift ??

get a gril lads all this pulling
get out there and do it right.

Probably been asked a 1000's times but have been searching and have found nothing useful sorry. I want to change my standard H11's and have fallen at the first hurdle. It was just one screw on my golf!

it was 1 screw in my golf
and now hes 6

they are quite hard to pull out
i find pull them to the side not stright out
as there kinda wedged in one side by the small fins.

I had a go at pulling the front off as well and it was insanely hard, I couldn't even pull it off.... although I was using an alan key and a pair of pliers.

I thought that ring tool was to take off the centre hub caps off?

It apparently is for the hub covers, but since mine doesn't come with them I use it for the fog grilles! :) Works every time. :)

Maybe the B8 and B8.5 are different?

Yes they are different. I had a B8 and now have a B8.5. B8 was a simple tug and off it came, the B8.5 I was pullin and couldn't get it to budge - there is nothing to really grab hold of.

Going in through the arches is really the simplest way - 2 screws and then you simply remove the buld.....going from the front you remove the cover and then have to unscrew the whole foglight to get access to the bulb.

You can get both done through the arches in 5 mins.