The S4 build wait thread

I read on the Audi US website that it would unlock when the key is within a 5ft proximity of the car, so my worry was if the keys aren't far enough away then anyone could walk up and open the car.

I have the feature on my S4, if you have keys on you and you put hand on door handle, the locks pop open. It works a treat and I found it really useful. Works very well. To lock you just touch the little square sensor on the door handle, you do not need to press. Only draw back is make sure when you are washing the car you leave the key outside the range otherwise when you pour water over the door handles the car locks or unlocks...please note that is a volume of water you would not get even in a really severe rain storm, so no need to worry about the car unlocking itself in a downpour......:cool:

So here's today's idle thought. Do you have to declare all the factory options to your insurance company? I'm just trying to picture how the explanation for Audi Drive Select or Sports Diff might go. I'm fearful I'd end up with a huge bump in premium due to the call centre agent classifying the car as a modified beast!

Moneysupermarket says:
What counts as a modification? If you've added anything to the car after manufacture, like alloy wheels or air conditioning, add it here.

So that would be fine, as they are on the car when it's built.

Admiral's policy doc says:
Standard parts replacement

Your policy does not cover any non standard parts (modifications). Manufacturer’s optional extras are only covered if they have been declared and we have agreed to arrange cover for them. If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, we will only pay the cost of replacing parts needed for your car to meet the manufacturer’s specification.

Don't think you have to declare anything factory fitted to the insurer, only aftermarket retrofits. Problem is how do you explain to them that you've made and amendment to say a gearbox mount. I'm not sure there will be a category for that, or changed the V6T badges, or Porsche coolant cap??? Where does it end.

I've always declared anything significant (e.g remap / exhaust / filter / suspension / brakes / wheels), but beyond that I draw the line as they're getting more than enough money and why should I be expected to pay a premium for fitting a wheel spacer that is TUV approved. There are more than enough people nicking cars and driving uninsured, so my view is if I'm paying my fair dues then that is enough (if anything my Richbrook alloy tax disc holder is a modification but it's heavy so its slowing me down!).

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Agreed. More than happy to declare major mods. Reading the Admiral wording again it reads as "if you don't tell us about the factory options we won't pay for them" which is different to not being covered at all for failing to declare them.

Another example of a finance company trying to weasel its way out of coughing up. I've always assumed they cover the cost of the basic vehicle and GAP takes care of anything else, but if you do have to declare all factory options then surely the insurance cover should pay out to that level anyway. Given it's quite easy to tank £10k of options on a Audi these days I'd be intrigued to see what they do with a list as long as your arm. You could argue some of our factory mods (e.g. sports diff) make the car safer so shouldn't we get a discount!

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
This would be a good question for forum sponsor Sky Insurance to answer...

I emailed Admiral, cheers for the clear as mud reply. :)

This is to inform, we rate on both non-standard modifications & any optional extras from the vehicle manufacturer. You can either write to us or call us on the number 0871 882 0000 with the details.

Reactions: warren_S5
After reading that, I'll avoid Admiral as an insurer.

The whole industry needs more regulation. Insurance companies are hiding all sorts of "get out of jail" terminology in their Policy Terms these days. The famous one is "not having to use original OEM parts".

My sisters Golf went in to the back of someone winter of 2012 and after looking closely at one of the front Xenon headlight units after it had been in for a repair with the "insurer approved repairer" I noticed they'd fitted a cheap Chinese fake headlight unit instead of genuine OEM. It wasn't even as bright as the other genuine unit. Because of the clause there wasn't grounds to complain.

I went running to my policy which fortunately didn't include this clause. There is another insurer I was going to try next year which is Original Motor Insurance - Why choose Original?. They state they will only ever use manufacturer OEM parts in the event of a repair.

I've been mulling over whether to try and add damper control. It may already be too late but thought I'd do some googling. No real conclusions, it doesn't seem to be a "must have" unlike the sports diff. I think you could call this "spec creep". I tried to keep the options list down as the S4 is already a stretch for me and as Warren has already pointed out it's easy to splurge £10k before you know it.

Whilst digging around on ASN I did find this link which appeals to the nerd in me to see what's been ordered. OK it's only across 3 dealers but I like to nosey... Audi In Stock | Cars

Reactions: Keef
I chose damper control as genetics / natural selection has gifted my wife with lets say 'ample' proportions, and as such the back breaking set up on our S3 has put her at risk of black eyes(!) on some of Britains worst roads!

I thought I'd do the honourable thing and smooth the car out a bit (particularly incase I choose some 20's as summer wheels at some point), but if it was just me I wouldn't have bothered.

Reactions: elpeterol, BigGreg, Keef and 2 others
Thanks Warren on so many levels. That's cheered up a wet Friday. :)

Reactions: Keef and warren_S5
I chose damper control as genetics / natural selection has gifted my wife with lets say 'ample' proportions, and as such the back breaking set up on our S3 has put her at risk of black eyes(!) on some of Britains worst roads!

I thought I'd do the honourable thing and smooth the car out a bit (particularly incase I choose some 20's as summer wheels at some point), but if it was just me I wouldn't have bothered.

Ha Ha .... already planning 20" wheels :)

I reckon you WILL get 20's as the car would EASILY accommodate them no problem at all ... maybe you should start looking at potential 20's now mate ... and will kill a bit more time :whistle2:

Plus more rubber to put down all that extra power :icon_thumright:

If I had £3k going spare down the back of the sofa I would, the 20's will likely come next year in the summer :crying:

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Whilst digging around on ASN I did find this link which appeals to the nerd in me to see what's been ordered. OK it's only across 3 dealers but I like to nosey... Audi In Stock | Cars

What's that list? A list of all cars ordered through those dealers? Some are shown as "not reserved" whatever that means.

Has anyone heard about any potential model year updates for the A4? Just saw that the A3 has had some released which are effective from BW22...

Thanks Warren, but that has tempted me into Sepang Blue :/

I see the tyre pressure monitoring is on there.

About time really, a £40k+ vehicle and they make a safety system an option at £75. Sure it will be factored into new increased cost.

Reactions: Tay and scotty76
I think it's about time given the driving standards that many more safety systems are included in all cars, my only concern is how manufacturers manage the pricing of it across the portfolio otherwise A1's will end up with start price of £20k!

Reactions: scotty76
Guys you are making me jealous. Here you guys are talking about your S4's on order and here's me thinking of parting with mine. Now having 2 kids, with the cost of child care and the fact that i am doing double the mileage now. Means am going to need to go back to a diesel or even an old B7 as a run around for a bit. The car gets used for business too and it hurts me to load up the S4 with back seats down! :(

I never bought it with the intention of using it for work but things have changed. If i do sell i will be gutted. However someone will be getting a lovely motor.

Keep the thread going though as it has been a great read so far.

P.S Warren a nice set of 20" HRE 3 piece wheels will look the nuts on an S4!!!

Just ordered one for my wife.

Black Edition Avant.
Daytona pearl
Sports diff
Dampers
Drive select
Tech pack
Storage pack
Heated seats
Hill hold

The expected delivery date is Sept!

Reactions: Tay, warren_S5, Keef and 1 other person
I'm selling my B7. ;-)

I know I had a look last night. I was so tempted until i realised it was a manual. The wife will only drive an auto! It looks like a lovely car. Would have been ideal.

Not that lucky, she's paying!

Reactions: scotty76, warren_S5 and AFN1980
AFN1980 - I feel your pain, many years ago I had to sell my B6 S4 for similar reasons, since then I have been in Diesels.
So I’m only just getting back into an S4!.....I’ll be selling my 3.0 TDi soon. Hope things work out for you

T955 - nice spec, very similar to mine

My build week is next Monday, but think it’s a bank holiday in Germany too

My build week is next Monday, but think it’s a bank holiday in Germany too

Lets hope they don't build it on the Friday (afternoon) then eh Keef ;-)

P.S Warren a nice set of 20" HRE 3 piece wheels will look the nuts on an S4!!!

You over-estimate my earning potential and my wife's spending potential! Maybe if I sold a kidney on eBay, otherwise no chance!

Reactions: Sandra, AFN1980 and Keef
Yeah - I'm just hoping that pre-bank holiday Friday afternoons in a German car production plant, are not the same as the ones I use to experience in my days as an apprentice at Rover! :beerchug: ....hic...

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered an OEM RS4 steering wheel as I prefer the perforated leather.
Just trying to find the matching gear knob now...and praying that the place I ordered from is legit!

I've sent them a few email to test them out and a few guys on A5OC have used them so fingers crossed it turns up!
I've use Paypal so should be ok

RS4

Check you Keef; blowing the green stuff! Good man, should look a treat when it's on and coded up.

I've been wading through the MY15 S4 US spec details this morning. The lucky 'folk' are getting RS 5 segment 19 wheels on their S4's this time round:

MY2015 Guide: Audi S4 (USA) - Fourtitude.com

Cheers Matey

Yep, I think my 'additional' spending is just about done...for now

I'm hoping that no coding is required - should be straight swap, plug& play with air bag S4 air bag.

Ha ha nothing on that list to worry me.
Although I'm surprised that the 19-inch Titanium V-spoke wheels aren't available for the S4 in the UK
Is was odd that they appeared briefly on the configurator

I'm hoping that no coding is required - should be straight swap, plug& play with air bag S4 air bag.

Hopefully removing the airbag and refitting won't cause any disturbance to the ECU thinking it's gone fault. Brave man, rather you than me. Hopefully if you have it fitted by the time you're at DMC I'll pop up and have a gander!

Hopefully removing the airbag and refitting won't cause any disturbance to the ECU thinking it's gone fault. Brave man, rather you than me. Hopefully if you have it fitted by the time you're at DMC I'll pop up and have a gander!

Brave? not a chance!
Dealer has agreed to do the swap as a favour, so will be done for collection

Just make sure your battery is disconnected before removing the airbag connectors. Worse that could happen is your airbag light comes on and won't go off until reset using VAS tool or VCDS.

Random question of the day: what's the running in regime for a new car and the S4 engine specifically, if it's different? Not having had a new car for about 17 years it's not something I've had to do!

Also in Evo magazine there's a CQuartz advert which mentions "10% off your CQuartz coating". Just chatting to Nick @ DMC about how this works. He says
I'm talking to CarpPro now. I'll let you know.