The S4 build wait thread

Fingers crossed chap! Final days are the longest!

Reactions: scotty76
Keef, you got any pics yet? :blackrs4:

Nothing decent yet mate, rained Friday & Saturday then way too hot to wash it yesterday!
Looks a right mess already - had water spot on it from the dealers, he offered to wash it...but I said no thanks.
Have done 150miles now, first drive to work this morning was great - but I took ages to select a parking space.

How's yours??

Reactions: Rich M
Enjoying all the tales of motoring around the rest of your are doing. My mileage is currently down to 64 miles a week. At that rate it's going to take a very long time to get the thing run in. I suspect I'll end up like Rich, taking the long route to buy milk. :)

I have now chosen my registration and the car is sat at a German port!! This all takes sooooo long!

Just wondering what will come first, my 1000th post or the car! :)

Mine sat at Emden for about 8 days
Shouldn't be too long now then mate...excited much??

Keef, I've got my VIN. What was the website to get the spec and is it obvious for your average village idiot?

https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showVehicleSearch.do

Here mate - need to register, then purchase a one hour license for £5.00

then go to 'Vehicle-spec information' and input your VIN

You can also access Repair & Workshop information but I just wanted my vehicle data and list of PR codes
I'm sure it says you cant print, but when I open the list I just saved the PDF

Trust me, if I could do it, its very easy.

Enjoy!

Nothing decent yet mate, rained Friday & Saturday then way too hot to wash it yesterday!
Looks a right mess already - had water spot on it from the dealers, he offered to wash it...but I said no thanks.
Have done 150miles now, first drive to work this morning was great - but I took ages to select a parking space.

How's yours??

Loving it, still doing random drives everywhere and tinkering about with drive select

I have now chosen my registration and the car is sat at a German port!! This all takes sooooo long!

That's great news, shouldn't be long now mate

Currently closing in on 600 miles. Want to get to just over a thousand before opening the taps a bit more.

Fuel wise it isn't doing too bad either considering that i'm still running it in. It's actually doing better than my previous car.

Hey Rich what fuel consumption are you getting at the moment? Are you running it on premium petrol or just the normal stuff? There seems to be a bit of a debate on the higher octane fuel evenly split between those who say it makes no difference and those that think it does. I will probably run it on premium as it is about the same price as the diesel I buy now! The only negative thing will be the increased fuel stops, at the moment I can go about 600 miles as I have an 85litre tank - £100 to fill though.

Are you running it on premium petrol or just the normal stuff?

I'd love to know this too. My current B7 A4 TFSI is very clear about what you need. If you want full power you need 98RON. You can use ordinary 95RON but as the manual says "with slight loss of power".

IMG_20140604_1431521881.jpg

IMG_20140604_1434372221.jpg

IMG_20140604_1435572331.jpg

I ran my B8 S4 and am running my B8.5 S5 on premium unleaded .
IMG_0866_zps09dd1c28.jpg

It will be the same for the V6 Supercharged.

You should use 98RON or higher fuel for all modern forced induction petrol vehicles.

Take for example the Revo map options for the B8 S4. Their main package includes an SPS switch with 4 settings ranging from stock to performance mode 3. The three different performance settings are for different grades of fuel and extremely hot weather climates.

Plus let's face it, if you've spent £40k on a premium performance vehicle the extra £4-5 at fill up doesn't seen so bad.

I ran my B8 S4 and am running my B8.5 S5 on premium unleaded .
IMG_0866_zps09dd1c28.jpg

See this is strange of Audi, UK standard petrol is 95RON. And therefore would not be considered premium.

This is perhaps why the software dev companies can obtain such an increase in power on the S4, because the stock map is compensating for 91RON.

It will be the same for the V6 Supercharged.

You should use 98RON or higher fuel for all modern forced induction petrol vehicles.

Take for example the Revo map options for the B8 S4. Their main package includes an SPS switch with 4 settings ranging from stock to performance mode 3. The three different performance settings are for different grades of fuel and extremely hot weather climates.

Plus let's face it, if you've spent £40k on a premium performance vehicle the extra £4-5 at fill up doesn't seen so bad.

Both my B8/B8.5 cars were/are the V6 supercharged[ stock] and are mapped for 95 ron premium unleaded.

Forget the phrase or words "Premium" or "Super" they are just marketing terms.

95RON is standard minimum octane for petrol in the UK.

Forget the phrase or words "Premium" or "Super" they are just marketing terms.

95RON is standard minimum octane for petrol in the UK.
Whatever car i drive i put in what it says on the sticker I'm not interested in "marketing terms":think:

And it says 95RON so your fine with any petrol grade in the UK. Each to their own.

Personally, I would only use 98RON for the reduction in knock and cooler flame temps.

The fact the S4 is mapped to cope with 91RON suggests it's the same map for the UK S4 as the US model. Which is a joke as you can't even buy 91RON over here. But explains why Revo etc have got 100PS+ gains from stock.

And it says 95RON so your fine with any petrol grade in the UK. Each to their own.

Personally, I would only use 98RON for the reduction in knock and cooler flame temps.

The fact the S4 is mapped to cope with 91RON suggests it's the same map for the UK S4 as the US model. Which is a joke as you can't even buy 91RON over here. But explains why Revo etc have got 100PS+ gains from stock.

Warren has just posted on his Build thread "One other thing I found today, the 98RON fuel I've been using is making the car misfire at cold start and warm start so I'm reverting to 95RON which is easier to burn" which is interesting:think:

Update : car had arrived at the dealer's. Don't know who was more surprised, him or me.

Reactions: Keef, Rich M, DAYTONA 500 and 1 other person
Hey Rich what fuel consumption are you getting at the moment? Are you running it on premium petrol or just the normal stuff? There seems to be a bit of a debate on the higher octane fuel evenly split between those who say it makes no difference and those that think it does. I will probably run it on premium as it is about the same price as the diesel I buy now! The only negative thing will be the increased fuel stops, at the moment I can go about 600 miles as I have an 85litre tank - £100 to fill though.

Always ran all my performance cars on Shell V-power (or BP ultimate if V-power is unavailable).

It is averaging 20.5mpg at the moment, although it hasn't been reset since pick up and has all been mixed mode driving from long journeys to short town journeys and also me tinkering about with drive modes. If your not used to filling up regularly then might be a slight shock lol, it will drink fuel however you could squeeze a little extra out of it combined with easy driving and efficiency mode turned on (if you have specced drive select).

Update : car had arrived at the dealer's. Don't know who was more surprised, him or me.

Excellent news scotty!

Reactions: AFN1980, Keef and scotty76
Fingers crossed for you they pull their fingers out. Hopefully on Friday I'll be back on the road when Platinum Alloy Wheel Solutions return my rear wheel. The space saver looks like a bicycle tyre!

Reactions: Rich M and scotty76
H'm not sure about being restrained as Scotty said you only live once! My car now in the UK so moving on nicely.

Benjie - I've been trying to wait for a good day with a clean car - well that's my lame excuse anyways. Didn't even get collection picks as the car was outside and just as I arrived the heavens opened. I feel I've missed the opportunity a little now.

Scotty - great news mate...that was quick! so are you picking-up the weekend?

elpeterol - do you have a collection date yet?

Just to add my 2 pence to the fuel debate above - just use standard fuel, shell or Tesco. I asked the master tech about the fuel
(not that he would have the definitive answer) but he said that unless I was tracking the car I should use standard fuel as
I wouldn't see any benefit.

Ok, apologies for going off topic but a small issue...

The steering wheel has gone slightly off centre when driving in a straight line. It's going to the right and I haven't hit anything significant and there are no other symptoms like handling problems etc but just wondering if this is a result of the suspension etc settling down??

Usually with this it's just the alignment but I will see what Audi say. It certainly wasn't like this when I took delivery.

Scotty - great news mate...that was quick! so are you picking-up the weekend?

Yep, surprisingly quick. Sales guy had come back from his day off to find it sitting, delivered and waiting! I don't think it'll be the weekend based on your and other people's experience. I'd guess next week some time.

Reactions: warren_S5
Ok, apologies for going off topic but a small issue...

The steering wheel has gone slightly off centre when driving in a straight line. It's going to the right and I haven't hit anything significant and there are no other symptoms like handling problems etc but just wondering if this is a result of the suspension etc settling down??

Usually with this it's just the alignment but I will see what Audi say. It certainly wasn't like this when I took delivery.

Did you see Warren's comments on the one of the threads (just trying to find it)? His is going back to be straightened.