Sky InsuranceBadger5
Results 1 to 35 of 35
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By d9jdm
  • 1 Post By Rabie2412
  • 1 Post By Zafi
  • 1 Post By Rabie2412
  • 1 Post By voorhees

Thread: Whats that weird half finished key in the glovebox

  1. #1
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350

    Whats that weird half finished key in the glovebox

    I know it's probably in the manual..... that key body kinda thing in a special holder in the side of the glovebox.....but what's it for?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Anthony566's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    615
    That's for your plastic wallet key ...

    Its the third key that is programmed for your car ... So if you loose you car key while you are out you use the thin plastic one to open the car door then slip it into the plastic key holder and then use it to start the car ...
    2013 A4 2.0 TDi 177 quattro Black Edition - Glacier White

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    30
    top tip - take it out your glove box and store it safely in your house.
    Rabie2412 likes this.

  5. #4
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oxon
    Posts
    89
    But if you take it out, and store it safely in your house, and then go out and lose your key, you will find that the spare 3rd key is at home, and even with the wallet key, you won't be able to get home for the spare you stored safely! Keep it where it is. Put the wallet key in your wallet, of your wifes handbag, and forget about it.

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Southern Scotland
    Posts
    254
    I did not get this (the small plastic key) passed on to me - I'd reckon that the original owner kind of forgot or didn't bother about returning it with the car at trade in time! Anyone know how much they cost, as I intend to get one sorted out and the original one deleted at next service.

  7. #6
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    Thanks.

    I did not get the plastic key, so its just useless then? It wont start the car by itself so I'll bin it?

  8. #7
    Anthony566's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    615
    No don't bin it ... buy a new plastic key ??
    2013 A4 2.0 TDi 177 quattro Black Edition - Glacier White

  9. #8
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    26
    They're waterproof too! I was told by my dealer they're great if you want to go swimming or something, you lock your keys in the car and then just take the plastic one with you!
    Using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    DAYTONA500's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    In a world of my own.
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by rum4mo View Post
    I did not get this (the small plastic key) passed on to me - I'd reckon that the original owner kind of forgot or didn't bother about returning it with the car at trade in time! Anyone know how much they cost, as I intend to get one sorted out and the original one deleted at next service.
    You are driving a car that someone else has a key to, insurance will not cover you for car taken with the key and its your responsibility to make sure you have all the keys for your car ,the keys are coded to the car so you have two options which should of been done yesterday.
    1.get the dealer to change codes for the 2 keys you have.
    2.purchase new plastic key and get all 3 keys coded with new codes.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Southern Scotland
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTONA500 View Post
    You are driving a car that someone else has a key to, insurance will not cover you for car taken with the key and its your responsibility to make sure you have all the keys for your car ,the keys are coded to the car so you have two options which should of been done yesterday.
    1.get the dealer to change codes for the 2 keys you have.
    2.purchase new plastic key and get all 3 keys coded with new codes.
    While I don't disagree with you, I'd reckon that about 75% of second hand cars will have been "passed on" with a key or two missing. Same probably for bikes, houses and boats. Maybe it is time for insurance companies to force, at least "own marque" main dealers selling "approved etc" cars to replenish the keys and recode them prior to selling the car on. Come to think of it, Audi should make it one of their "rules" when selling on Audis as "Audi approved" - I'd hope the person that handed my car in took a hit for not supplying that key.

    Then there is the issue of cloned keys that will continue to work with some security systems.

  12. #11
    DAYTONA500's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    In a world of my own.
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by rum4mo View Post
    While I don't disagree with you, I'd reckon that about 75% of second hand cars will have been "passed on" with a key or two missing. Same probably for bikes, houses and boats. Maybe it is time for insurance companies to force, at least "own marque" main dealers selling "approved etc" cars to replenish the keys and recode them prior to selling the car on. Come to think of it, Audi should make it one of their "rules" when selling on Audis as "Audi approved" - I'd hope the person that handed my car in took a hit for not supplying that key.

    Then there is the issue of cloned keys that will continue to work with some security systems.

    As you say it should be part of the "Approved Used'' criteria .I recently purchased an "Audi Approved" car from a dealer 80 miles away from home, on collection the plastic key was missing the salesman didn't even know about the other part in the glovebox it was the managers day off and the car's dis was showing 3 registered keys,after telling the salesman to phone the original owner he does to be told the key had been sent registered post to the dealer the week after he sold it but no one could find it, the car had been sat at the dealers for 40 days [i was told this by the manager on the test drive].They ordered a replacement key for me and paid for them to be programmed at my local dealers .

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Southern Scotland
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTONA500 View Post
    As you say it should be part of the "Approved Used'' criteria .I recently purchased an "Audi Approved" car from a dealer 80 miles away from home, on collection the plastic key was missing the salesman didn't even know about the other part in the glovebox it was the managers day off and the car's dis was showing 3 registered keys,after telling the salesman to phone the original owner he does to be told the key had been sent registered post to the dealer the week after he sold it but no one could find it, the car had been sat at the dealers for 40 days [i was told this by the manager on the test drive].They ordered a replacement key for me and paid for them to be programmed at my local dealers .
    I think originally I was going to send a letter to the original owner, but time went by, I had checked for the number of keys supplied so knew it was 3. I'd been through that "dealers don't know much" once after buying an ex channel isles Fiesta, I had to rescue the "small" key and the lock number tag from his desk bin - though in all fairness, it was a Mitzy dealer, but dumping these bits in front of the new owner ????? As for a typical showroom manager, that will be the financial guy that checks up that you are sure you don't want wheel insurance etc "I'll just use your one month insurance cover - that is all thanks!"

  14. #13
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    Does the pre facelift B8 have a plastic key and other part in the glovebox?

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    26
    Yes.

  16. #15
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    In that case I had better not insist the dealer gives me a new plastic key as I did not hand one in with my 10 reg A4 that I chopped in against the 13 reg!

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Southern Scotland
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafi View Post
    In that case I had better not insist the dealer gives me a new plastic key as I did not hand one in with my 10 reg A4 that I chopped in against the 13 reg!
    But why not, there are "rules" covering trade-in and different ones covering selling to you, you are just using the reverse of them and once again you can expect them to be different in your favour!

  18. #17
    Rabie2412's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen/Scotland
    Posts
    139
    A lot of Audi's & BMW's have been Stolen because dealers have not made New owners aware or the Plastic key holder in the Glove box , And Plastic Key , There was a Picture going about on TCWOC Facebook Pages in Aberdeen of the Location of where to get the Keys to steal ur Pride and Joy......My Keys and the Wife's spare keys are hidden in the House , I'd rather catch a taxi home to get them than have my car Stolen.
    d9jdm likes this.

  19. #18
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    So when you buy new, where is the plastic key? In the car or does the dealer give it to you along with the two remote fobs?

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    26
    It's in the glovebox on the left hand side. The salesman showed me it when I collected mine.
    Using Tapatalk

  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Southern Scotland
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_1501 View Post
    It's in the glovebox on the left hand side. The salesman showed me it when I collected mine.
    The question was "where is the plastic key", if what you are saying is truly about where the plastic key starts off life in your ownership then that is shocking! Only the holder as said earlier should be there, the individual keys should be handed over to the owner as the paperwork is being signed.

    In my case, buying second hand from Audi original supplying dealer as an Audi Approved car, all that was missed out - maybe because the plastic key was missing, now that is also shocking as they could/should have checked how many keys had been issued, and deleted any missing keys.

  22. #21
    Anthony566's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    615
    When I got my car the sales guy gave me the plastic key with my car pack along with the two normal keys.
    2013 A4 2.0 TDi 177 quattro Black Edition - Glacier White

  23. #22
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    26
    To be honest I've not actually looked at it since handover! Thinking about it now I think the plastic key is on the keyfob with the key code on it. Will have to wait until I get home to see!
    Using Tapatalk

  24. #23
    Anthony566's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    615
    It does have a long plastic strip attached to it with the key code on it
    2013 A4 2.0 TDi 177 quattro Black Edition - Glacier White

  25. #24
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    I have sent an email to the dealership. I have only had the car a week, it's 10 months old, ex Hertz or similar I guess (sneaky salesman sent off the V5 when he taxed it, so I never saw it).

    Asked them to either delete the third key from the car or supply a replacement plastic key.

    Other than that the car is great. Fitted the towbar I took off the old B8, have yet to fit the mudflaps and wire in the dashcam to a hidden USB in the rooflining instead of having a lead from the ciggy lighter.

  26. #25
    Anthony566's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    615
    What cam are you using ?
    2013 A4 2.0 TDi 177 quattro Black Edition - Glacier White

  27. #26
    Rabie2412's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen/Scotland
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafi View Post
    So when you buy new, where is the plastic key? In the car or does the dealer give it to you along with the two remote fobs?
    When I bought mine from Audi he handed me the Two main Fobs and Plastic Coded Key and showed me the Plastic Fob in the Glove box after a Spate of thefts up our way , Where the Plastic Fob and key were left in the Glove box .So all the TCWOC had to do was smash the window and steal ur car with the Plastic Fob and Key...

  28. #27
    Anthony566's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    615
    Lol yhats why its called a wallet key :-)
    2013 A4 2.0 TDi 177 quattro Black Edition - Glacier White

  29. #28
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony566 View Post
    What cam are you using ?
    Just a cheapo one from Ebay. Works fine so long as you turn the G sensor onto minimum sensitivity otherwise it keeps saving events like potholes so the memory card gets full. With that sorted it's just fit and forget.
    1080P full HD dash cam car DVR night vision G-sensor lorry video camera recorder | eBay

    I run a ciggy lighter socket from the drivers side fusebox, hide it in the headlining, then the wire to the dashcam just pokes out the headlining and the camera is in front of the mirror. Nice and discrete

  30. #29
    scotty76's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTONA500 View Post
    insurance will not cover you for car taken with the key
    Does that mean if someone breaks into your house and steals your car you are not covered?

  31. #30
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty76 View Post
    Does that mean if someone breaks into your house and steals your car you are not covered?
    If they break into your house, take your keys and then take your car - you are covered.

    If they take your car and you cannot produce all sets of keys coded to that car - you have a fight on your hands.

    For instance they could argue you could have been using the plastic key to warm up the car on a cold day...
    scotty76 likes this.

  32. #31
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by enoliver View Post
    But if you take it out, and store it safely in your house, and then go out and lose your key, you will find that the spare 3rd key is at home, and even with the wallet key, you won't be able to get home for the spare you stored safely! Keep it where it is. Put the wallet key in your wallet, of your wifes handbag, and forget about it.
    Thats why you take it out

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabie2412 View Post
    A lot of Audi's & BMW's have been Stolen because dealers have not made New owners aware or the Plastic key holder in the Glove box , And Plastic Key , There was a Picture going about on TCWOC Facebook Pages in Aberdeen of the Location of where to get the Keys to steal ur Pride and Joy......My Keys and the Wife's spare keys are hidden in the House , I'd rather catch a taxi home to get them than have my car Stolen.

    say 50 to 100 quid for a cab ride or even better call a mate for a lift. I'm gonna do that instead of losing out on a ncb and car worth anywhere from 20k upwards !

  33. #32
    Rabie2412's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen/Scotland
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by d9jdm View Post
    Thats why you take it out




    say 50 to 100 quid for a cab ride or even better call a mate for a lift. I'm gonna do that instead of losing out on a ncb and car worth anywhere from 20k upwards !

    I'd not be keen on Keeping it in my Wallet or Wife's bag, Say for instance ur wife's bag is stolen with all the keys and her purse with driving licence in it......Then the thief just has to hang about the address till the car turns up ... Me personaly, Hiding it is the best option, This is in relation to keeping it in ur Wallet or Wife's handbag
    d9jdm likes this.

  34. #33
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,915
    My gap insurance had a line in it saying if car taken with the keys then the insurance was void,so I'd check for this key or make sure you get the others changed.
    DAYTONA500 likes this.

  35. #34
    Liquidfusion's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    361
    It's best to separate both plastic key and plastic holder in the house so if anyone was to ever break into the house, they wouldn't be able to move the car one without the other.
    2013 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI 170 S line - Daytona Grey. 19" Black Edition Alloys. MMI 3G Navigation Plus, Bluetooth Phone and Voice Prep,
    Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Eibach Sportline Suspension, Tinted Windows Factory Shade,
    Ice White Fog Lights, Interior LEDs, Mobius Dash Cam, Red Calipers with S Line Decals
    S Line Grill Badge. Remap Stage 1 (Pending)

  36. #35
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    350
    Some people would say it's better to leave the keys in an easy to find position (but one that requires breaking into the house to see them) so the thieves don't come upstairs and beat the sh*t out of you to get them.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th October 2012, 22:44
  2. whats that 'pinging' sound on start up?
    By jazzyc in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 4th July 2007, 21:56
  3. What On Earth Is This Sticking Out The Bottom Of My A3?!?!
    By emzino in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 7th June 2007, 18:35
  4. Anyone see that weird virgin guy on C4 last night?
    By silver75 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th May 2007, 12:06
  5. What year did they finish making the B5 1.8T
    By mac1403 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th February 2006, 23:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO